[Testers Wanted] PCSX2-CE for OS X (v1.0!)
(02-27-2014, 01:16 PM)MacUser Wrote: Avih and ConsoleEmu, this is for software emulation, which you Avih mentioned we should be aiming for software. But is there any reason why we shouldn't be trying hardware?

The initial goal was GSdx SW since I assessed that it had higher potential for success (less dependencies on HW acceleration via emulation).

We've since got past that point, and GSdx SW does work, and HW also works now (or at least can work). I got DX HW running reasonably faster than SW mode, but only with PCSX2 v1.2 onwards. I don't know why - maybe due to the build compiled with VS2013 instead of vs2010.

Sponsored links

(02-27-2014, 02:27 PM)avih Wrote: I got DX HW running reasonably faster than SW mode, but only with PCSX2 v1.2 onwards. I don't know why - maybe due to the build compiled with VS2013 instead of vs2010.

Hmm, Wine currently doesn't have vs2013 libraries as far as I am aware.

Selecting software or hardware makes no difference for me currently, I suspect that the hardware emu just isn't working. Shadow of the Colossus is identical with SW and HW. But maybe that's a problem with that specific game, I'll test some others.

The config guide mentions that AVX should only be selected for software emu, so I'll revert to SSE4.1.

I'm also going to try to get DirectX 10/11 working. you have to change the Wine package to Vista for this (use config utility in the wineskin tools). I've heard there are compatibility problems if you select Win7.
(02-27-2014, 03:05 PM)MacUser Wrote: Hmm, Wine currently doesn't have vs2013 libraries as far as I am aware.

True, but you can install VS2013 x86 runtime on windows and copy msvcp120.dll and msvcr120.dll from windows\system32 (or from the WOW dir if it's a windows 64) to the pcsx2 folder inside wine, and it'll work.

(02-27-2014, 03:05 PM)MacUser Wrote: Selecting software or hardware makes no difference for me currently, I suspect that the hardware emu just isn't working. Shadow of the Colossus is identical with SW and HW. But maybe that's a problem with that specific game, I'll test some others.

If it makes no difference then I'm guessing the selection either didn't change for some reason, or they work for you at a similar speed. To test if it makes a difference, try HW mode and set resolution to 2x. You should be able to see if it looks different or not (though it may run considerably slower in x2 resolution than in native). Scaling is only supported on HW mode.

(02-27-2014, 03:05 PM)MacUser Wrote: The config guide mentions that AVX should only be selected for software emu, so I'll revert to SSE4.1.

It only affects some optimizations in SW mode, and not by too much. In HW mode it doesn't matter which version you use.

(02-27-2014, 03:05 PM)MacUser Wrote: I'm also going to try to get DirectX 10/11 working. you have to change the Wine package to Vista for this (use config utility in the wineskin tools). I've heard there are compatibility problems if you select Win7.

IIRC I didn't see a difference with PCSX2 when I configured wine to (not) emulate win7/xp, though I don't recall if I tried DX10/11. I did try DX9 and it worked for me.
(02-27-2014, 03:36 PM)avih Wrote: If it makes no difference then I'm guessing the selection either didn't change for some reason, or they work for you at a similar speed. To test if it makes a difference, try HW mode and set resolution to 2x. You should be able to see if it looks different or not (though it may run considerably slower in x2 resolution than in native). Scaling is only supported on HW mode.

Ah ha, you are quite correct. In hardware mode it still only displays at 512x488 no matter what scale I use. So either it's not working or the selection isn't sticking. I'll see what I can do about that.

I want to try DirectX10/11 because the config guide says it's the fastest/most compatible, but even though I install them in winetricks it doesn't show up in the plugin config.

--Edit--
Looks like DirectX10 or DirectX11 don't work properly in Wine. I'll give up on that.
(02-27-2014, 04:32 PM)MacUser Wrote: Ah ha, you are quite correct. In hardware mode it still only displays at 512x488 no matter what scale I use. So either it's not working or the selection isn't sticking. I'll see what I can do about that.

The titlebar display is always the original resolution regardless of scaling and regardless of HW/SW mode. As I said, set scaling to x2 and look with your eyes if it looks sharper.
(02-27-2014, 06:59 PM)avih Wrote: The titlebar display is always the original resolution regardless of scaling and regardless of HW/SW mode. As I said, set scaling to x2 and look with your eyes if it looks sharper.

I see. I've changed the testing game to FF 12 and tried SW and then HW.

When selecting 2x scaling and above, there is a very noticeable improvement in the graphics, so HW is definitely working. But even with the native resolution, there is a hit in performance compared to SW, which renders it uncomfortable to play. So for me at least SW gives the best results. In SW mode the game is playable.

The interesting thing for HW mode is when I go from 2x to 3x to 4x there are only very small drops in performance (a couple of fps on average). This indicates to me that it is not a slow graphics card that is the problem (though yes, the Radeon HD 6630M is not a speed demon). Any higher than 4x and I start to get a big drop off in performance, so this is where I think my card starts to buckle.

Another thing I have tried for software mode is to increase the number of extra rendering threads to 1 (2 core Mac, but 4 virtual cores). This seems to only slightly slow it down. Anyone have a 4-core Mac where this improves anything?
I'm having a few problems that I couldn't seem to find so far in the thread.

I've completed the instructions as posted by ConsoleEmu up until step 4.2.

I've downloaded the cg-3.1 file, but WineSkin doesn't seem to allow me to install it, as it is a .dmg file. If I run the file without WineSkin, it installs the software, and appears under 'devices' as though it is a CD/USBetc. drive.

This is the only step that didn't seem to work for me. If I open PCSX2-CE and then File>Boot CDVD, a window, 'ZeroGS' opens, which is completely white, and at this point PCSX2-CE sometimes freezes (though only about 50% of the time).

Does anyone know what would be going wrong? Or is there more information I can give that may help? I'm not entirely computer literate so simplified steps would be appreciated.

I'm using a Mac, 10.9.1 2.7GHz Processor, 8GB 1600 MHz Memory

Thanks in advance
Hey there ConsoleEmu,

I installed this a couple days ago, and it has been working like a charm. I've been playing Kingdom Hearts on it, and I've had few errors. Very well done.

However, this morning when I turned on my MacBook Pro and tried to open the PCSX2-CE, the dock jolted quickly as if it was about to run the program, but then immediately stopped. I tried it multiple times, logged out and logged back in, and restarted my laptop multiple times. I've searched the forums, but I haven't found anything to fix my problem.

Help this humble man play some Kingdom Hearts? Sad

EDIT: Problem solved. Test ran it in Wineskin, and it ran smoothly afterwards
Hello Guy’s, I’m having a bit of trouble.

i’ve installed everything okay and when i click the application it appears to start up okay.

i get this message:

PCSX2 1.0.0.r5350 - compiled on Aug 1 2012
Savestate version: 0x9a080000

Host Machine Init:
Operating System = Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Physical RAM = 2048 MB
CPU name = Intel® Core™ i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz
Vendor/Model = GenuineIntel (stepping 05)
CPU speed = 2.392 ghz (4 logical threads)
x86PType = Standard OEM
x86Flags = bfebfbff 029ae3ff
x86EFlags = 28100000

x86 Features Detected:
MMX.. SSE.. SSE2.. SSE3.. SSSE3.. SSE4.1.. SSE4.2

Reserving memory for recompilers...

Loading plugins...
Binding GS: C:\Program Files\pcsx2-1.0.0-r5350-binaries\Plugins\zerogs-r5350.dll
Binding PAD: C:\Program Files\pcsx2-1.0.0-r5350-binaries\Plugins\lilypad-r5350.dll
Binding SPU2: C:\Program Files\pcsx2-1.0.0-r5350-binaries\Plugins\spu2-x-r5350.dll
Binding CDVD: C:\Program Files\pcsx2-1.0.0-r5350-binaries\Plugins\cdvdGigaherz.dll
Binding USB: C:\Program Files\pcsx2-1.0.0-r5350-binaries\Plugins\USBnull.dll
Binding FW: C:\Program Files\pcsx2-1.0.0-r5350-binaries\Plugins\FWnull.dll
Binding DEV9: C:\Program Files\pcsx2-1.0.0-r5350-binaries\Plugins\DEV9null.dll
Plugins loaded successfully.

(GameDB) 9640 games on record (loaded in 248ms)

——————
I select the game i want to play in my case fire pro wrestling returns (if anyones interested)
and click run and i get this message:

HLE Notice: ELF does not have a path.

Initializing plugins...
Init GS
Init PAD
Init SPU2
Init CDVD
Init USB
Init FW
Init DEV9
Plugins initialized successfully.

Opening plugins...
Opening GS
creating zerogs
ZeroGS: Creating effects
ZeroGS: Creating extra effects
ZeroGS: GS Using pixel shaders ps_3_0
ZeroGS: Set game options: 0x00400000
initialization successful
Opening PAD
ZeroGS: Set game options: 0x00400000
Opening SPU2

Any help would be most appreciated

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03-02-2014, 02:06 PM)ajspeed14 Wrote: Any help would be most appreciated

I can see at least one thing wrong here.

- You are using ZeroGS for your plugin. Ensure that GSdx (AVX Version for your processor) is selected and configured right in PCSX2 (Select Direct3D9 (Software) for now until you get everything working).

I've added a few screenshots which may (or may not) help people in configuring their setup.

After the correct plugins are selected and configured in PCSX2 , then you should see it work. Your machine is capable of running many games quite well.

When looking at my screenshots, note that I am using a different build of PCSX2 which I downloaded from the SVN depository on the main site. If you can get your version working ok, you might consider doing this later.

---edited to remove idiocy---

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)