[Bug Report] GSDX: Hardware mode - [Bug Report] Star Ocean 3 - Incorrect Framebuffer
(06-01-2018, 11:37 PM)nintendo85 Wrote: I wasn't aware, of OGL being more accurate, as my GPU is the 970 GTX, but will it solve the framebuffer issues in games like Star Ocean 3 and Grandia 3? I'll test that API and report back (not holding my breath).  I still feel that this bug report was in vain, but I digress.

Edit: Tried OGL, battle transition/framebuffer effects are still broken. Not surprised, I thought they would work better, so yeah, this bug report has been in vain.  Sad I give up. If it wasn't fixed before when I reported it so long ago, it won't be looked into or fixed in the future.

That's a rather poor assumption to be make. Any bug can be fixed if somebody is willing to put in the time to debug it. We actually just fixed a few unplayable ke games recently so just hang in there SmileWink

Sponsored links

(06-01-2018, 11:44 PM)CK1 Wrote: That's a rather poor assumption to be make. Any bug can be fixed if somebody is willing to put in the time to debug it. We actually just fixed a few unplayable ke games recently so just hang in there SmileWink

I know, and I'm sorry, it's just the last time I reported this issue, I was told it was low priority and then I decided to just abandon the bug report back then. I don't know how things work, or what priority goes to which bug, etc.  I thought I provided enough information, I'm just afraid that like last time, this bug report will be in vain, that's all. I'm probably the only one who seems to care enough to make a bug report about the framebuffer being broken in these games. I can assume the issue is pretty serious if hardware rendering breaks it.
Custom Desktop
CPU: Haswell Core i7 4770 3.40 GHz (3.90 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
CPU Instructions: MMX, SSE1, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1,
SSE4.2, EIST, iAMT2, Trusted Execution Technology (TXT)  
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
HDD: 3 x 1 TB Western Digital HDD
Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5
Audio: Realtek 5.1 HD Audio
Did you try to disable crc hack ?
(06-02-2018, 12:12 PM)gregory Wrote: Did you try to disable crc hack ?

Okay, so I just tried it, and it did absolutely nothing to fix the framebuffer effects,  but I'm just making sure that you saw the GS dump that I posted on the OP as well as the screenshot comparisons of HW and SW modes.  This is baffling, just as it was when I reported it over a year ago and that the issue persists.  Sad  I've just about given up on seeing this ever get fixed, if I'm going to be blunt.  I swear I'm the only one on here that this issue bothers, because on the PS4 version of Star Ocean 3, the framebuffer effects are perfect, and the game is scaled to 1080p, so it's not the scaling that's breaking FB.

I've tried enabling game fixes, disabling game fixes, larger framebuffer, CRC hack disabling, none of them fix the battle FB effects. I assume people know what I'm talking about. The same issue applies for Grandia 3, there's supposed to be a motion blur effect, but it's completely missing in HW mode, so what should I do? Was this bug report in vain as all my other bug reports were?

OpenGL hasn't resolved it
CRC hack off doesn't resolve it
Larger framebuffer

Yeah, I've tried numerous configurations, no dice. I don't know what else to try, it's an issue with GSdx.
Custom Desktop
(06-02-2018, 08:28 PM)nintendo85 Wrote:  I've just about given up on seeing this ever get fixed, if I'm going to be blunt.  I swear I'm the only one on here that this issue bothers, because on the PS4 version of Star Ocean 3, the framebuffer effects are perfect, and the game is scaled to 1080p, so it's not the scaling that's breaking FB.

There are nothing special in ps4 version for fix issue that you are mentioning. Only noticeable things are gs kernel called "OptRightTri", and Ignore up-render shift for triangles when writing mask = write alpha only . That last fix some shadows. 

Also ps4 version have reduced shadows to one, and nop'ed some m-bits. But that actually is emu specific hack. 
I will extract my iso from PS4 version and test it on pcsx2 (iso is 1:1 game disc copy). 
Issue mentioned here is shown with every battle right? Or i need some specific place?
(06-02-2018, 08:43 PM)kozarovv Wrote: There are nothing special in ps4 version for fix issue that you are mentioning. Only noticeable things are gs kernel called "OptRightTri", and Ignore up-render shift for triangles when writing mask = write alpha only . That last fix some shadows. 

Also ps4 version have reduced shadows to one, and nop'ed some m-bits. But that actually is emu specific hack. 
I will extract my iso from PS4 version and test it on pcsx2 (iso is 1:1 game disc copy). 
Issue mentioned here is shown with every battle right? Or i need some specific place?

Yes, the framebuffer effects for the battle transition screens are completely missing, they should be a motion blur effect (as I posted the SW screenshot and GS dump), see, that's how they're supposed to look. In HW mode, it's just "zooming in" and looks rather bland.  To me, this sounds like it's low priority, and that's fine, but this has been an ongoing issue for the past several years. I never seemed to recall this being emulated in HW mode, but only SW mode, I don't even know if anyone's actually looked at what's going on in the GS dump, or what can be done to mitigate the issue.  Now can you see why I'm wanting to just say "screw this" and give up? Not a good attitude, I know, but I've tried everything, and nothing has improved the issue or given the FB effects in SO3 or Grandia 3.

Some battles show the ripple effect, others show a zoomed in motion blur effect, and the last one is incorrectly emulated.
Custom Desktop
The PS4 version of the game is not 1:1 the same game as the PS2 version
They could have done some changes to the game textures and tons of not so obvious things to the game code so those effects are displayed correctly.

You keep saying in vain this and in vain that,are the devs suppoused to stop doing anything else and focus on your bug reports so that they will not be in vain.
Maybe the bug reports about Onimusha 4 or Shadow Hearts 2 or ZoE2 are also in vain because they are still not fixed

And acutually I just find a bug with one game so I will post a bug report but it better not be in vain
(06-02-2018, 08:54 PM)vsub Wrote: The PS4 version of the game is not 1:1 the same game as the PS2 version
They could have done some changes to the game textures and tons of not so obvious things to the game code so those effects are displayed correctly.

You keep saying in vain this and in vain that,are the devs suppoused to stop doing anything else and focus on your bug reports so that they will not be in vain.
Maybe the bug reports about Onimusha 4 or Shadow Hearts 2 or ZoE2 are also in vain because they are still not fixed

And acutually I just find a bug with one game so I will post a bug report but it better not be in vain

So what do you suggest? I know it's not 1:1 to the PS2 version, but the framebuffer effects on that are supposed to be how they look on the real PS2, the motion blur is emulated nearly perfectly.  I only said it was in vain because I have reported this particular issue twice in the past, the last time was maybe about a year ago, and it went nowhere, same with the time before that, so can you blame me for having my reservations about reporting it? Nevertheless, the way PCSX2 and GSdx emulate the framebuffer is not how it's supposed to look, plain and simple, and given that PCSX2 aims for accuracy and performance, surely, something of this scale would not kill performance, no? As I recall, this FB effect has never been emulated for these games.  I don't know what else I can do, other than provide info and the GS dump, etc, and try configurations (which didn't work for me).

Using SW is not an option because it looks horrible in 1080p and only runs half speed.
Custom Desktop
My suggestion is to wait for a fix(some day it will appear)or keep playing by ignoring that non game breaking problem or play the PS4 version.

The Onimusha 4 problem was reported multiple times.
The Rogue Galaxy Vedan planed bug was also reported multiple times.

PCSX2 don't have tons of devs that can search and fix problems for multiple games...it is almost like each part of pcsx2 have only one dev.
(06-02-2018, 09:12 PM)vsub Wrote: My suggestion is to wait for a fix(some day it will appear)or keep playing by ignoring that non game breaking problem or play the PS4 version.

The Onimusha 4 problem was reported multiple times.
The Rogue Galaxy Vedan planed bug was also reported multiple times.

PCSX2 don't have tons of devs that can search and fix problems for multiple games...it is almost like each part of pcsx2 have only one dev.

PS4 version is very unstable (as in, numerous crashes and lockups, never had that on PCSX2). I guess I just need to be patient I suppose.
Custom Desktop