DS4 To XInput Wrapper
Just registered to say that this program is amazing but I have a small but annoying problem. Not sure if I did something wrong, if it's an incompatibility with the game, a glitch in the program, or what. I was playing Team Fortress 2 a few days ago using the DS4 and during the match, my guy would randomly spin around and sometimes even walk forward, without me even touching the controller. It's a little hard to play a game when it plays itself for you. lol. The controls were acting a bit strange in Steam Big Picture as well. Very unresponsive. I changed the control scheme to match the DS4 but it didn't always do what I told it to and it would also randomly move around the menus, just like Team Fortress. So, I'm definitely a bit confused as to what to do.

Sponsored links

(02-17-2014, 05:02 AM)Balian Wrote: Just registered to say that this program is amazing but I have a small but annoying problem. Not sure if I did something wrong, if it's an incompatibility with the game, a glitch in the program, or what. I was playing Team Fortress 2 a few days ago using the DS4 and during the match, my guy would randomly spin around and sometimes even walk forward, without me even touching the controller. It's a little hard to play a game when it plays itself for you. lol. The controls were acting a bit strange in Steam Big Picture as well. Very unresponsive. I changed the control scheme to match the DS4 but it didn't always do what I told it to and it would also randomly move around the menus, just like Team Fortress. So, I'm definitely a bit confused as to what to do.

You didn't say whether it's on bluetooth or wired, but it sounds like a weak bluetooth signal. Try it wired to see if it fixes it.

If it is wired already, try using a different fork of the project. I've had more wireless success with electrobrains' version, more wired success with Inhexter's fork, and haven't really tested the others.
Yep that's weak Bluetooth signal at it's finest. Anything blocking the channel from controller to dongle will have a negative impact on the latency and quality of signal. It manifests as exactly what you described. Controls becoming unresponsive, sticking movement with the joysticks etc.

I have my PC tower stationed right next to my desk, so in less than 1 foot distance away from my computer chair. If I placed my Bluetooth dongle on the back of my tower connected straight to the motherboard, then even using my controller in my chair, less than 3 feet away, would cause massive interference and signal degradation leading to the same wonky controls that you experienced. If you can, play wired for an absolutely perfect setup, or if you have to play wireless than make sure the Bluetooth adapter is as out in the open as possible, and as close as you can get it. Distance wise you're good up to 10-15 feet so long as there's no obstructions. But even placing a person in front of a dongle will cause a pretty major loss in signal quality at any distances greater than 5 feet. Be warned.
This app is amazing!

Can we please have the 1.1 functionality back for the way the trackpad clicks work (or as an option).

On all my trackpad devices I disable "tap to click" as soon as the OS has been installed. Likewise with the right click.

The L1 - R1 was perfect!!

Now the track pad is clicking when I don't want it too - eg, if I just brush the pad Sad
And the act of trying to click (either left or right) can move your pointer Sad

The only valid option I have is to turn it off completely.
(02-17-2014, 08:35 AM)softgrip Wrote: This app is amazing!

Can we please have the 1.1 functionality back for the way the trackpad clicks work (or as an option).

On all my trackpad devices I disable "tap to click" as soon as the OS has been installed. Likewise with the right click.

Now the track pad is clicking when I don't want it too - eg, if I just brush the pad Sad

Problem is that you can't map the L1 and R1 buttons to other programs then. To each their own i guess. If you want to have more mouse functionality try xpadder. You can set mouse clicks, mouse wheel, and other useful keyboard functions to your controller for easy browsing.
(02-17-2014, 08:35 AM)softgrip Wrote: This app is amazing!

You can use my branch for now which has multiple touchpad modes, and none of the touchpad modes "take over" the buttons unless you already have a finger down on the touchpad (not pushing the physical button in, just pressed down.)
(02-17-2014, 01:23 PM)Marmarflam Wrote: Problem is that you can't map the L1 and R1 buttons to other programs then. To each their own i guess. If you want to have more mouse functionality try xpadder. You can set mouse clicks, mouse wheel, and other useful keyboard functions to your controller for easy browsing.

Smile I think I still have the 1.1 install somewhere.

I just toggle it on/off when I need to use mouse functionality. It's not that I want more mouse functionality - it's that I want LESS touchpad clicking when I tap it. It's a bad design for me on any touchpad device - way to easy to accidentally click. You would have noticed this on laptops when browsing web pages and all of a sudden you have highlighted a paragraph of text or clicked a hyperlink. :\ FAIL!

(02-17-2014, 01:50 PM)electrobrains Wrote: You can use my branch for now which has multiple touchpad modes, and none of the touchpad modes "take over" the buttons unless you already have a finger down on the touchpad (not pushing the physical button in, just pressed down.)

Thanks, I'll have a look at yours.

I was quite surprised that from 1.1 to 1.2 the touchpad became so much worse for me. Basically going from perfect to bad Sad

I've been using the app for a couple of months, but this change compelled me to create an account and report in the hope that it can at least be an option.
Thank you for all your feedback; development is going in several different directions at once because each developer has a set of priorities which, although there are many common ones, can differ greatly. It may just end up we skip doing a unified 1.3 and go straight to a unified 2.0, let each 1.2~ branch live on its own in the meantime. We'll have to have a meeting of the minds. I'm having a bear of a time making very basic Windows driver infrastructure stuff work, so that's my whole delay.
(02-17-2014, 06:15 AM)TacticalBacon00 Wrote: You didn't say whether it's on bluetooth or wired, but it sounds like a weak bluetooth signal. Try it wired to see if it fixes it.

If it is wired already, try using a different fork of the project. I've had more wireless success with electrobrains' version, more wired success with Inhexter's fork, and haven't really tested the others.

Yeah, forgot to specify. It's wired.

(02-17-2014, 08:23 AM)DaRkL3AD3R Wrote: Yep that's weak Bluetooth signal at it's finest. Anything blocking the channel from controller to dongle will have a negative impact on the latency and quality of signal. It manifests as exactly what you described. Controls becoming unresponsive, sticking movement with the joysticks etc.

I have my PC tower stationed right next to my desk, so in less than 1 foot distance away from my computer chair. If I placed my Bluetooth dongle on the back of my tower connected straight to the motherboard, then even using my controller in my chair, less than 3 feet away, would cause massive interference and signal degradation leading to the same wonky controls that you experienced. If you can, play wired for an absolutely perfect setup, or if you have to play wireless than make sure the Bluetooth adapter is as out in the open as possible, and as close as you can get it. Distance wise you're good up to 10-15 feet so long as there's no obstructions. But even placing a person in front of a dongle will cause a pretty major loss in signal quality at any distances greater than 5 feet. Be warned.

Nope. I'm wired. Forgot to specify that.

Just for a little more clarity, I'm using Windows 8.1, no bluetooth, DirectX 11. Not sure what else could help. Also, where can I find these different forks of the project.
(02-17-2014, 04:47 PM)Balian Wrote: Yeah, forgot to specify. It's wired.

Nope. I'm wired. Forgot to specify that.

Just for a little more clarity, I'm using Windows 8.1, no bluetooth, DirectX 11. Not sure what else could help. Also, where can I find these different forks of the project.

Oh wow, if you're experiencing that wired then I really have no idea what's wrong with your setup amigo. Sorry.