Directx 10 vs Directx 9
(05-08-2009, 10:41 PM)kebrus Wrote: ...
i have both FFX and FFXII and i'm yet to see the speed boost, seriously, i actually made like 5 tests for each game depending on location and speedhacks, and the results were the same, no gain and no loss

tested with Final Fantasy X [German-PAL], full shiva summoning (it's one of the few scenes where the emulation speed drops below 100%) @ 1920x1080, no speed-hacks

dx9: drops under 60 fps for several seconds, one time to just 25 fps, max is 100, average is clearly below 100% speed
dx10: never drops under 50 fps, maximum is 120, average is clearly above 100% emulation speed
especially the difference in minimum fps of 25 to 50 is amazing

the huge difference may be related to my specific hardware config and surely not every game will profit from dx10 (or at least not that much), but to say that there is no difference at all is definitely wrong. and the filtering of bitmaps like the numbers and letters of the menus is also way better in dx10 (see attached snaps).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403

Sponsored links

(05-09-2009, 07:50 AM)Cain Wrote: Why in the world do you try to insult me? I did nothing to offend you, unless you of course think this thread is your world's savior.

If it's so useful you could do everyone a favor and search, coz it was discussed here a trillion of times.
And if you cannot see the difference - so what? Are you saying "no guys, don't do dx10, dx9 is just fine!" or ..? You're free to play as you want. No difference for you? Great, it may stay that way Wink

dude seriously, do you usually check what you say before saying it?

this topic is about directx 10 vs directx 9, it's not game specific like in other threads, if it's useless to you don't complain because it might be useful to others, if this thread is my world's savior it's my problem not yours, did you add anything useful by saying this thread is useless?

i'm not even going to try to argue about what you say i said or not...

and i didn't tried to offend you, apparently i actually did offend you... good for me, thats was my intention... why?.. because i don't like mods wannabes...

back on topic, zero29, obviously i didn't play the whole game with both dx10 and dx9 to spot the differences, i'm sure they exist, and they could either be good or bad, for instance, in your example there are both improvements and "regressions" (for the lack of a better word), and with my rig it's difficult to spot fps improvements because my average speed is already 100% so i have to turn off the limit to compare... but like i already said, TO ME and MY RIG and MY SETTINGS dx 10 isn't better than dx 9, just different
E8400 @ 3.2GHz - 8800 GT @ stock - 4GB DDR2 800 [actual: 3.5GB with PAE] - WinXP PRO 32bit SP3
[Image: 133779.png]
(05-10-2009, 08:36 PM)kebrus Wrote: ...
back on topic, zero29, obviously i didn't play the whole game with both dx10 and dx9 to spot the differences, i'm sure they exist, and they could either be good or bad, for instance, in your example there are both improvements and "regressions" (for the lack of a better word), and with my rig it's difficult to spot fps improvements because my average speed is already 100% so i have to turn off the limit to compare... but like i already said, TO ME and MY RIG and MY SETTINGS dx 10 isn't better than dx 9, just different

ok, but my test is a good example for the success of gabest's dx10 improvements, cause you see that especially the complex scenes (and the full shiva summon with its reflection/refraction effects seems to be the most complex scene of the game so far) are not such big impacts to the game's fps anymore. it might need a current gen graphics adapter to work, but it does work. it does, of course, not prove that dx10 is always the better choice. but i would always encourage everyone to test it out for her/himself, the possible improvements in emulation speed AND graphics quality is definitely worth the try.
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
I remember trying dx9 in Grand theft auto vice city stories, and it was not pretty.