GSdx
Hi I have an update to a problem I noticed a while ago. I tested with an old 0.14 build from the PCSX-R website, the 1.2.1 PCSX2 build, and the latest GIT builds.

GSDX causes PCSX-R (not PCSX2) to crash upon using ONLY AFTER I installed an NVIDIA GPU (770). Yes I know that PSX GSDX only works in software mode so it sounds wrong, but this must be the cause! I tried on a computer almost identical except for no graphics card (intel integrated graphics) and it worked fine.

The bug is usually a crash shortly after boot, sometimes it runs for a little bit but then crashes later, or runs very slowly. Older DX backends seem to work better (DX9 seems best but still crashes often), DX10 (old build of gsdx bundled with PCSX-R) and DX11 mode for some reason can't be maximized (Alt+Enter) after the gpu is installed, and crash almost immediately after boot.

Even worse, the problem seems to carry over between instances, and even reboots, unless I wipe the PCSX-R folder and redo the setup. If I run PCSX-R with GSDX once, and it sort of works, then run it once and it crashes, all further instances even with other graphics plugins will have major issues or crashing.

What I have tried so far is using different DX backends (none seems to be a consistent fix). I also tried turning off the power-management settings of my GPU (this seemed to have helped at one point, by fixing the no maximizing of DX10 and DX11 mode problem, but then PCSX-R was crashing again anyway). Right now I can only consistently run it with a different GPU plugin (Pete's OGL 2.9, closed source I'd rather avoid and has some graphical problems and less authentic image than GSDX), and GSDX nowhere in sight (not even ran once on this "install" of PCSXR).

Maybe there is a problem somewhere in the GSDX code, and if so I would be so grateful if someone would look into it, but I know that might be unlikely. At least, are there any other settings I should be trying in my computer/driver settings, and last of all, can someone with an AMD GPU confirm that this bug does not exist so I know to buy one of those next time?

Sponsored links

(12-23-2014, 01:55 PM)ssakash Wrote: I was fairly surprised when, i got a reply from gabest about the opencl renderer feature in pcsx2.
  • Gabest's exact words are:

to simplify the statement, the opencl renderer is gonna be aimed to be a faster software mode with features like multisample rendering as form of anti-aliasing.

Someone buy this man an nvidia card!
(12-25-2014, 09:02 PM)synce Wrote: Someone buy this man an nvidia card!

Why? Nvidia supports at this time only OpenCL 1.1 and it also will not change in the near future.

Why? because NVIDIA is not so quickly abandon their Cuda technology, and if you look at the new specifications of the GeForce GTX 980M you see that the GPU supports still OpenCL 1.1

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook...ifications

I believe, Gabest has also a graphics card from AMD at this time with OpenCL 2.0 support for playing around with the new API.

But keep in mind, that only Microsofts Windows 8.1 or the two Linux Distributions Red Hat Enterprise from version 6.5 or Ubuntu from version 14.04 AMDs OpenCL 2.0 supported.
MB: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 - Intel® X79 Express Chipset
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4960X CPU @ 3.60 GHz / TBF2.0 @ 4.00 GHz
RAM: 4x 8192 - 32 GB Corsair Vengeance® Pro Series DDR3-2133 PC3-17066 CL11
GFX: Gigabyte® Nvidia® GeForce™ GTX TITAN X - 12 GB GDDR5 (GV-NTITANXXTREME-12GD-B)
OS - MS - Windows 10 - Professional
MS - XBox Series X - With Activated Developers Mode

(12-25-2014, 05:47 PM)modmodmod123 Wrote: Hi I have an update to a problem I noticed a while ago. I tested with an old 0.14 build from the PCSX-R website, the 1.2.1 PCSX2 build, and the latest GIT builds.

GSDX causes PCSX-R (not PCSX2) to crash upon using ONLY AFTER I installed an NVIDIA GPU (770). Yes I know that PSX GSDX only works in software mode so it sounds wrong, but this must be the cause! I tried on a computer almost identical except for no graphics card (intel integrated graphics) and it worked fine.

The bug is usually a crash shortly after boot, sometimes it runs for a little bit but then crashes later, or runs very slowly. Older DX backends seem to work better (DX9 seems best but still crashes often), DX10 (old build of gsdx bundled with PCSX-R) and DX11 mode for some reason can't be maximized (Alt+Enter) after the gpu is installed, and crash almost immediately after boot.

Even worse, the problem seems to carry over between instances, and even reboots, unless I wipe the PCSX-R folder and redo the setup. If I run PCSX-R with GSDX once, and it sort of works, then run it once and it crashes, all further instances even with other graphics plugins will have major issues or crashing.

What I have tried so far is using different DX backends (none seems to be a consistent fix). I also tried turning off the power-management settings of my GPU (this seemed to have helped at one point, by fixing the no maximizing of DX10 and DX11 mode problem, but then PCSX-R was crashing again anyway). Right now I can only consistently run it with a different GPU plugin (Pete's OGL 2.9, closed source I'd rather avoid and has some graphical problems and less authentic image than GSDX), and GSDX nowhere in sight (not even ran once on this "install" of PCSXR).

Maybe there is a problem somewhere in the GSDX code, and if so I would be so grateful if someone would look into it, but I know that might be unlikely. At least, are there any other settings I should be trying in my computer/driver settings, and last of all, can someone with an AMD GPU confirm that this bug does not exist so I know to buy one of those next time?
This issue is most likely caused by GSDX code. I have 290x currently but GSDX can't save settings when I try to use it with PS1 emulators and therefore is unusable. Unfortunately as you said fix is unlikely especially without gabest.
(12-26-2014, 01:21 AM)Monochrome100 Wrote: This issue is most likely caused by GSDX code. I have 290x currently but GSDX can't save settings when I try to use it with PS1 emulators and therefore is unusable. Unfortunately as you said fix is unlikely especially without gabest.

That's interesting, so you don't get the crashes, or haven't been able to test?

You might have tried already, but have you tried manually making a folder called "inis" in the main PS1 program directory?
Personally I don't see anything special in using GSdx on PS1 emulator...Pete's OGL2 can do much batter.
And yes,to be able to save the GSdx settings while using PS1 emulator,you must create the inis folder(this is what pcsx2 does,and if that folder don't exist,gsdx will not be able to save the settings)

And just to let you know,I did tried GSdx on ePSXe...it works but it's buggy
(12-26-2014, 01:21 AM)Monochrome100 Wrote: This issue is most likely caused by GSDX code. I have 290x currently but GSDX can't save settings when I try to use it with PS1 emulators and therefore is unusable. Unfortunately as you said fix is unlikely especially without gabest.

Have you tried running the emulator as an administrator?
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 | Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) | MSI 1070Ti | 16GB 3600MHz RAM
This seems awesome. I would be able to play ace combat games with 4x resolution finally (if only I had an AVX cpu..)

Anybody knows if something similar could be implemented in official builds?
Is there any source code somewhere?
Hi,

First time that I post something on this site.
Well my problem is that when I turn on native the games doesn't render 100%
On the picture you see that the donut colors are doing strange things.
The wall behind it also.

Please help me.
I have checked the youtube page and I have the best settings for the emulator.

Kind regards Tim

Attached Files
.7z   Bug report BMX XXX.7z (Size: 2 MB / Downloads: 136)
(12-26-2014, 09:50 PM)TimRonsse Wrote: Hi,

First time that I post something on this site.
Well my problem is that when I turn on native the games doesn't render 100%
On the picture you see that the donut colors are doing strange things.
The wall behind it also.

Please help me.
I have checked the youtube page and I have the best settings for the emulator.

Kind regards Tim

Please open a proper thread to expose your particular problem.
Imagination is where we are truly real