GSdx
Did Gabest stop developing GSdx? It says he hasn't been in these forums for over a year.
[Image: pNm13X9.gif]
Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909 | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD | WD Red Plus 8TB

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
Games that don't need a strong CPU

Sponsored links

(09-08-2014, 07:53 PM)karasuhebi Wrote: Did Gabest stop developing GSdx? It says he hasn't been in these forums for over a year.

Yeah, he did, there are some people who might pop in, but development on this plugin has all but ceased...
Custom Desktop
CPU: Haswell Core i7 4770 3.40 GHz (3.90 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
CPU Instructions: MMX, SSE1, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1,
SSE4.2, EIST, iAMT2, Trusted Execution Technology (TXT)  
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
HDD: 3 x 1 TB Western Digital HDD
Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5
Audio: Realtek 5.1 HD Audio
So what are the plans moving forward? Is PCSX2 going to be looking to develop its own GS plugin or is the last release of GSdx deemed 'good enough'?
Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909 | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD | WD Red Plus 8TB

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
(09-08-2014, 09:03 PM)karasuhebi Wrote: So what are the plans moving forward? Is PCSX2 going to be looking to develop its own GS plugin or is the last release of GSdx deemed 'good enough'?

The issue that prevents a lot of people from working on gsdx is how unreadable the code is. Just take a look at it for 30sec and tell me if you can understand anything.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
So, Code Smell?
Oh I see. Well if this is the same Gabest that was working on MPC stuff back in the day, maybe you guys should talk to the people that make the CCCP filter pack, since they had to deal with his code as well at some point. Smile

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
Don't we have a faq on this whole GSdx topic somewhere? We keep repeating the same facts over and over.
GSdx is pretty much at the limit of what it can be. Understanding the code is doable for anyone that's suited
to work on a GS plugin, so that's not the big issue. The real problem is that to be fast, it was built on assumptions
that don't work well in actual PS2 titles (ZeroGS did the same btw).
A full rewrite is necessary to fix those underlying issues and the result could be too slow for anyone to enjoy.
We don't know that for sure but the very emulation unfriendly nature of the GS makes a fast and correct plugin very hard to do.
I think the best possible change to GSdx is allowing upscaling in software mode. I don't know how hard/trivial that is, but it should be at least feasible without a rewrite. And at least 2x should be possible in software on a modern PC.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(09-08-2014, 10:29 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: I think the best possible change to GSdx is allowing upscaling in software mode. I don't know how hard/trivial that is, but it should be at least feasible without a rewrite. And at least 2x should be possible in software on a modern PC.

It would depend on the game. Something like ratchet and clank would probably be stuck at native.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
It depends. From what I've seen, software mode is NOT the main reason R&C titles are slow. They are well below fullspeed in hardware for me as well(without EE hack and MTVU). With the hacks, and 3 extra threads, they are about the same in hardware/software speed wise for me. And as we know my 6300 is far from the fastest chip in existence. Depending on how it scales, I suspect an i7 haswell could handle 2x software rendering.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD