InputMapper - Now supporting more devices and plugins.
(08-07-2014, 10:22 PM)intel352 Wrote: So, my DS4 stopped working last week (would show up connected in BT devices list, but wouldn't connect in a way that the controller could be usable). Was within return window w/ Amazon, got replacement, replacement is working (for now). Light is on, glowing solid yellow.

Running latest stable DS4Tool, I notice while viewing the interface that typical latency is 1-4ms, but then periodically it seems, the latency jumps into 30+ms, then drops again. I noticed this 2 weeks ago on the prior controller as well while playing, as periodically the controller would stop corresponding to actions on the screen for a second or two.
Is this a known issue, and is there a fix in the works?

For latency to be jumping that much, something has to be eating up your systems RPC or hardware interrupts, You say that your DS4 stopped working as in it used to work, did the stop correspond with any hardware, software or driver update?
[Image: LogoBusiness3.png]
IM 2 Beta now supporting plugins and even more devices.

Website | Forum | Donate $2 and remove ads from the tool

Sponsored links

(08-07-2014, 10:26 PM)jhebbel Wrote: For latency to be jumping that much, something has to be eating up your systems RPC or hardware interrupts, You say that your DS4 stopped working as in it used to work, did the stop correspond with any hardware, software or driver update?

Negative. You attempted to help me to troubleshoot it a few days ago, earlier in this thread, couldn't find a cause.

Watched task manager, not seeing any spikes that correspond to the intermittent latency.

BTW, is there a way to turn off the controller? Not seeing a solution for PC users...
(08-07-2014, 10:28 PM)intel352 Wrote: Negative. You attempted to help me to troubleshoot it a few days ago, earlier in this thread, couldn't find a cause.

Watched task manager, not seeing any spikes that correspond to the intermittent latency.

BTW, is there a way to turn off the controller? Not seeing a solution for PC users...

Controller can be shut of by holding PS button, the software also has a quick disconnect by holding PS and Options

(08-07-2014, 10:30 PM)jhebbel Wrote: Controller can be shut of by holding PS button, the software also has a quick disconnect by holding PS and Options

I'll try the latter. When attempting the former, it launches Steam Big Picture, lol...

Quick disconnect worked fine, thanks
(08-07-2014, 10:28 PM)intel352 Wrote: Negative. You attempted to help me to troubleshoot it a few days ago, earlier in this thread, couldn't find a cause.

Have you posted a debug report? if not could you

(08-07-2014, 10:31 PM)jhebbel Wrote: Have you posted a debug report? if not could you

Yes, posted earlier, here's the gist: https://gist.github.com/intel352/32b8e12c6af704f08446

I'll post another one to show the latency once I have a chance to revisit that later tonight
(08-07-2014, 10:26 PM)jhebbel Wrote: For latency to be jumping that much, something has to be eating up your systems RPC or hardware interrupts, You say that your DS4 stopped working as in it used to work, did the stop correspond with any hardware, software or driver update?

I had this behavior when plugging a USB3 harddisk on a USB3 blue port, so high speed compliant. The latency would jump super crazy, so high to even disconnect the DS4.

To keep it connected I had to move the DS4 almost on my BT dongle.
A slight movement away from the BT would directly impact latency. Putting the DS4 under my desk or above, not in direct line of sight of the BT, would insta kill the connection.

This occurs even when the USB harddisk is not mounted or used.

I figured that it was my USB3 controller that might be overflowed with data or something. Why would there be so much interrupts as to screw other USB devices, and particularly the DS4?

I mean it's just a USB3 disk that just sits there and basically does nothing. Why would this cause so much lag as to even sometimes freeze my computer along with the DS4?

I'm just curious, now that you mentioned RPC calls.
That's the kinda low level stuff I really don't know.
(08-07-2014, 11:06 PM)RedShadow Wrote: I had this behavior when plugging a USB3 harddisk on a USB3 blue port, so high speed compliant. The latency would jump super crazy, so high to even disconnect the DS4.

A slight movement away from the BT would directly impact latency. Putting the DS4 under my desk or above, not in direct line of sight of the BT, would insta kill the connection.

I figured that it was my USB3 controller that might be overflowed with data or something. Why would there be so much interrupts as to screw other USB devices, and particularly the DS4?

I mean it's just a USB3 disk that just sits there and basically does nothing. Why would this cause so much lag as to even sometimes freeze my computer along with the DS4?

There's an issue which affects the ASUS RT-AC68U router, could possibly be an issue similar to what you're seeing, wherein the USB3 port on the router isn't shielded, so once you hook up a USB3 external HDD, it starts causing problems with the wireless network. May be something similar regarding shielding on your BT adapter, USB port on computer, or the USB cable running to your ext HDD.
(08-07-2014, 11:06 PM)RedShadow Wrote: I had this behavior when plugging a USB3 harddisk on a USB3 blue port, so high speed compliant. The latency would jump super crazy, so high to even disconnect the DS4.

RPC calls and interrupts on non kernel level drivers run synchronously, so if there are several high bandwidth devices the OS can either queue them or start dropping packets, queueing usually explains the high latency warning and dropped packets usually explains the read/write failures.

With all the r/w failures and the latency issues in the log its hard to say the issue is not either driver/stack or dongle issues, though the debug long only show me symptoms and not necessarily the answer.

(08-07-2014, 11:10 PM)intel352 Wrote: There's an issue which affects the ASUS RT-AC68U router, could possibly be an issue similar to what you're seeing, wherein the USB3 port on the router isn't shielded, so once you hook up a USB3 external HDD, it starts causing problems with the wireless network. May be something similar regarding shielding on your BT adapter, USB port on computer, or the USB cable running to your ext HDD.

Yup RF issues could also be a cause if the packet loss is hardware level and not software.