Kingdom Hearts 2 lag
I understand that they aren't PC games, but the fact of the matter is that Chain of Memories uses the same engine as KH2 so KH2 should run fine, again, unless Chain of Memories was optimized more...

Anyways, how much should I move the slider for each? How much did you move yours?

Whats your setup btw?

Thanks for helping man, I appreciate it.

Sponsored links

(09-23-2012, 01:55 PM)SlasherIT Wrote: but the fact of the matter is that Chain of Memories uses the same engine as KH2
Wrong. Proof? Check the debug menu of the leaked beta of the game. I can make screenshots from the betas of the rest games. KHRCOM uses a modified engine of the first game and KH2 uses a completely new one, from scratch, it may seem simmilar or same but it's not. Even more, the Final Mix version of the second game, refreshed a couple of assets giving it a slight boost in performance (less RAM usage).

(09-23-2012, 01:55 PM)SlasherIT Wrote: Anyways, how much should I move the slider for each? How much did you move yours?

Whats your setup btw?

Thanks for helping man, I appreciate it.
Just one step to the right for each will help alot.
I have 4 setups, on the most good one I pretty never play games because it's my studio's setup and I try to use it only for work.
The one I use right now is i5-3210m + NVidia 620M 1GB + 16GB RAM.
Both of them they don't seem to have any issue if I don't use crazy MSAA settings.

EDIT: Ugh just noticed it, 230M, I thought 630M. Well still I believe it should be ok between 2-3x internal though.

No prob, cheers!
Alright, I believe you, genius Smile. But I don't get it, why would they use the engine of the first game and modify that when they could use the engine of the second game for Chain of Memories? Apart from RAM usage, is the Final Mix version better in other areas, like for the CPU or GPU?

Alright then, I will try that when I can, probably tomorrow (sorry). Also, would you mind explaining me what the sliders do? Because, I don't understand how moving the slider up for less demanding games, to make the emulated PS2 'slower' makes the games run faster.

Alright, that laptop's GPU is def better than mine, but the performance of the CPU's should be the same, to yours being slightly better. And the GPU is mainly important for upscaling, so I think I'm sort of on par with you in a way... Or not Sad.

Again, thanks.
Because they ported assets from the original game which wre more in common than the second game and was a kind of bored/easy way to do a remake with less effort/work to be done. Also, I'm pretty sure that they didn't chose KH2's engine because KH2's engine was not finalised at the time that development on the remake has started so they had to de-bug side by side the same things which would take like forever.

About the speedhacks, check the "Speed Hacks tab of the Emulation Settings" part of the guide:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Official-...ide-v0-9-8

Yep my setup seems better but not that much to not be able to do 3x I think, a trash Core Duo @ 2Ghz + GMA 945 I had did 2x 40-55fps.

Another tip, If you don't mind some less (effective) fps you can use these addresses that modify the internal speed of the game that could result in fluent gameplay at a cost of the missing frames you recieve:

Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix+ - 20349E0C
Kingdom Hearts 2 NTSC - 20356F3C
Kingdom Hearts 2 PAL - 203795E4
That makes sense in a way, even though Re: Chain of Memories was released 2 years after KH2.

I'll get back to you after moving the slider's up a notch each. Sorry, I have some work I need to finish first, thanks.
Hey,

Alright, so, I've moved the slider up a notch each, and it feels a lot better, but now when i move the camera around with the controller it feels a bit laggy, and some things are a little jerky, like movement, but except that, I think the framerate has gone up. Is there any consequence for this game in particular by moving the slider's up a notch?

Thanks man.
I think if you put the EE full stuff in the HUD and the Start Menu start to render incorrectly or it will cause weird bugs like being unable to load a map or a new keyblade or whatever model (all after a time, not immediately) and if you full out the VU one you get slightly worse results than having the first or the second option (haven't noticed any difference between these two).

The only options that break the game are Antialiasing (buggy shadows), drawskip (crazy flashing HUD and textures), disabling logarithimc z (see-through sawtooth textures), fast disc access speedhack (crash) and any other setting of clamping modes than zero (weird behaviour like getting less/more money/hp/xp etc or weird gravity, sometimes even things like events or cutscenes not getting triggered).
Alright then, cool. So what can I do about the camera lag and slight jerkiness though? Again, sorry for bothering you with all these questions Sad.
There's no problem. There's no direct answer to that, I'll split it in an easy answer and a long answer that may give a solve too.

Easy: I guess you can't do alot than lower the resolution or use the cheat I gave you combined with Async Mix in audio settings.

Long: Personally, I find a very bad idea of using linear multiplication of a game's internal resolution (let alone the bug in some cutscenes of this game that revert back the resolution to native). This doesn't have as good results as a good sophisticated/algorithmic manual resolution. Example, Kingdom Hearts 2 is a typical 512x448 PS2 game. Using a x2 internal will result into 1024x896 and will look inferior than using 1274x720 resolution on a 1280x720 display counting that both render 917.504 (a couple pixels less in my resolution, but no visual difference) pixels so it's equal performance yet the 1274x720 will look better. Respectively, using a x3 internal will result into 1536x1344 but will look worse than 1911x1080 on a 1920x1080 screen counting that both render (a couple pixels less in my example again, forget it, no visual difference) 2.064.384 pixels.
You see, when you use a linear multiplication of the internal resolution instead of a manual resolution you don't get importantly the best visual result for performance ratio.
What you must do for best visual results of your desired multiplication with zero speed hit is:
[(Horizontal Resolution x Vertical Resolution) x the amount of multiplication of native resolution you desire] / your screen's vertical resolution.
So in your case is:
[(512 x 448) x 3] / 1080 = 1911,4666666666...
So you set 1911 x 1080 in your resolution and you get best results with zero speed hit.

EDIT: See the visual benefit from resolution multiplications as low as 2x with my idea, with higher resolutions the difference is more obvious:
[Image: resdr.jpg]
Sorry, but doesn't it mess up the aspect ratio when you set a custom amount of pixels?

And, I mean, the camera lag wasn't there before I bumped the slider up a notch each, now it feels more laggy moving the camera around