Mods For BIOS Dumping
Hello, I have a SCPH-39001 PS2. Is there any kind of specific modding I need to do in order to dump my BIOS onto the computer for use with PCSX2? I have the dumping program installed and inserted my USB into my PS2, but it’s not booting, leading me to believe I may need a mod chip. If somebody could tell me what I need to do to obtain and install one of these, it would be real helpful!  Smile

Sponsored links

(12-05-2019, 01:07 AM)NvidiaNerd Wrote: Hello, I have a SCPH-39001 PS2. Is there any kind of specific modding I need to do in order to dump my BIOS onto the computer for use with PCSX2? I have the dumping program installed and inserted my USB into my PS2, but it’s not booting, leading me to believe I may need a mod chip. If somebody could tell me what I need to do to obtain and install one of these, it would be real helpful!  Smile

You need some kind of exploit installed on your PS2 but it does not have to be a mod chip. There's a few options here.

Probably the most popular option and also the pandubz recommended method is a memory card with FreeMcBoot preinstalled. You can find one for ~8-10 USD on eBay or Amazon. Alternatively if you know someone who already has an exploited PS2, you can ask politely for them to run the FreeMcBoot installer on your memory card, and get it for free that way. Lastly, if you're dedicated, you can do a disc swap exploit with the FreeMcBoot installer on a DVD, and install it yourself. This last one is documented way better in other forums/blogs than I could ever dream of describing on my own, so I'll leave this last method to "google it", with a mild warning that depending on the exact model shims could be involved and it's not the kind of job you want to rush when you stick a shim into a spinning disc drive...

Option two, the mod chip. If you do this, I hope you understand soldering and some basic electronics. Super hot metal isn't a toy, and a bad solder job is a great way to fry electronics, just ask Microsoft how the 360 launch went. If you know how to solder and manage electronics, then mod chip away. Unfortunately I don't have any recommendations for chips though.

Option three, remember how I mentioned disc swap? You can directly load the BIOS dumper onto a DVD and execute it that way. Same deal though, it has to be a properly executed disc swap, and there's plenty of guides that you will find just by searching for "PS2 disc swap".
Please please do the FreeMCBoot option. Yes soldering can do damage to any electronic device, but I have seen too many sad people over the years that messed up their PS2 doing the "swap trick" especially when having to mod the sensor on some models.

Check the PSX and PS2 modding forums and you will find some people who will mod a mempory card for free for you. You do have to send them a card to mod (and postage)... so it depends on how much you trust the kindness of strangers vs how much you are willing to spend because you are pessimist about humanity (like me).