Native Mac Testing Build
(08-23-2020, 12:06 PM)TellowKrinkle Wrote: The button mapping GUI is only for mapping the keyboard.  Launch the game and attempt to use the controller.

Well F me if that didn't work!

Thank you, and thank you for the excellent work on this port!

Sponsored links

(08-24-2020, 10:07 AM)MacUser Wrote: By the way, any chance of posting an updated build?

Keep up the good work...

I gave Tellow a bunch of log files to look at regarding the gpu crash, I have a feeling they are buried under them (and their outside life as well) right now.
Sorry if this is a stupid question but is 64-bit faster/better performance than 32-bit even though it's less stable?
(08-21-2020, 10:46 AM)azoreseuropa Wrote: https://pcsx2.net/getting-started.html

And scroll all the way down for recommended. You are better off with Desktop. To be honest, macOS is crap for video games like PCSX2 (PS2 emulator) RPCS3 (PS3 emulator), CEMU (Wii-U emulator) , YUZU, and Ryujinx (Nintendo Switch emulators)

Like I wrote, I know my GPU sucks, however the NGC version of Dark Alliance ran much better using Dolphin so my feeling is that sometime in the future PCSX2 could run better on older machines with metal or vulkan/mvk.
(08-26-2020, 05:41 AM)gorillape Wrote: Like I wrote, I know my GPU sucks, however the NGC version of Dark Alliance ran much better using Dolphin so my feeling is that sometime in the future PCSX2 could run better on older machines with metal or vulkan/mvk.

On Mac, maybe.
But your analysis is wrong. Comparing different emus that emulate different consoles is a complete nonsense.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(08-24-2020, 10:07 AM)MacUser Wrote: By the way, any chance of posting an updated build?

There haven't been any major changes recently, so there's not really anything to post

(08-25-2020, 03:05 AM)StLouisCPhT Wrote: I gave Tellow a bunch of log files to look at regarding the gpu crash, I have a feeling they are buried under them (and their outside life as well) right now.

Just so you know, it'll probably be a little while before the Intel GPU crash is resolved.  So far I've done a bit of debugging but the only way I've found so far to not crash is to adjust the vertex shader so that nothing is on screen... which isn't very helpful.  Metal is supposed to have much better debugging tools, so if we get there it should make things a lot easier, but a Metal renderer is a bit far out at the moment.

(08-26-2020, 01:45 AM)Shrimpbob Wrote: Sorry if this is a stupid question but is 64-bit faster/better performance than 32-bit even though it's less stable?

Performance is about the same on both

(08-26-2020, 05:41 AM)gorillape Wrote: Like I wrote, I know my GPU sucks, however the NGC version of Dark Alliance ran much better using Dolphin so my feeling is that sometime in the future PCSX2 could run better on older machines with metal or vulkan/mvk.

PS2 emulation and NGC emulation are completely different, so the fact the NGC version of the game runs fine in an NGC emulator has no bearing on whether the PS2 version runs fine in a PS2 emulator.

In the places where the macOS build is slower than the Windows build, metal/mvk may see improvements that bring it to a similar speed
(08-27-2020, 10:40 PM)TellowKrinkle Wrote: Just so you know, it'll probably be a little while before the Intel GPU crash is resolved.  So far I've done a bit of debugging but the only way I've found so far to not crash is to adjust the vertex shader so that nothing is on screen... which isn't very helpful.  Metal is supposed to have much better debugging tools, so if we get there it should make things a lot easier, but a Metal renderer is a bit far out at the moment.

It's helpful

just not the way you'd probably have liked Smile
(08-27-2020, 10:40 PM)TellowKrinkle Wrote: ...but a Metal renderer is a bit far out at the moment.

This sounds a lot better to me than the usual “it’ll never happen”   Biggrin
(08-26-2020, 06:55 AM)jesalvein Wrote: On Mac, maybe.
But your analysis is wrong. Comparing different emus that emulate different consoles is a complete nonsense.

(08-27-2020, 10:40 PM)TellowKrinkle Wrote: PS2 emulation and NGC emulation are completely different, so the fact the NGC version of the game runs fine in an NGC emulator has no bearing on whether the PS2 version runs fine in a PS2 emulator.

In the places where the macOS build is slower than the Windows build, metal/mvk may see improvements that bring it to a similar speed

Yes, I realize all of this. I don't have or use Windows. Never implied I was using Windows. I'm was just saying the GCN version of DA2 runs much better on Dolphin than PS2 DA2 on PCSX2. Both were mac versions of the emulators. I suspect that probably a more native backend in PCSX2 will see better performance, especially on older machines like mine, in the mac build of PCSX2. A fair statement that I don't see anything wrong with and which is what this project is striving towards anyways.
(08-31-2020, 04:08 AM)gorillape Wrote: Yes, I realize all of this. I don't have or use Windows. Never implied I was using Windows. I'm was just saying the GCN version of DA2 runs much better on Dolphin than PS2 DA2 on PCSX2. Both were mac versions of the emulators. I suspect that probably a more native backend in PCSX2 will see better performance, especially on older machines like mine, in the mac build of PCSX2. A fair statement that I don't see anything wrong with and which is what this project is striving towards anyways.

And I was trying to say that the performance of the GCN version running anywhere has no bearing on the PS2 version in PCSX2.

Even if you compared two PS2 emulators, the difference in speed is probably due to the slower one emulating the PS2 more accurately.

We know you're not using windows, we were just saying that if you want to compare PCSX2 Mac to anything, PCSX2 Windows/Linux is the only one where you know that they're doing the exact same thing (emulating the PS2 with equal accuracy) so any speed differences could actually be eliminated.

Otherwise it's no different from expecting improvements to RPCS3 because your ARM Mac can emulate the Intel version of tomb raider at full speed, but can't run the PS3 version.  Improvements may come, but will be completely unrelated to the fact that Apple's intel-on-arm emulator is much faster.