Native Mac Testing Build
(02-05-2021, 12:14 PM)kodistamine Wrote: ok, so I tried to build locally with manually doing steps in this pipeline
https://github.com/tellowkrinkle/pcsx2/b...rkflow.yml
no results, not even able to run main window

I was able to build and run following the steps from my post (which were essentially what you did I believe): 
https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Native-M...#pid616792

For me the main window was doing a lot of disappearing acts with the latest build.

I then started talking to Tellow on Discord and was able to fork his project, I fixed the dark mode issue and fixed the main window behavior, but have not fed the solutions back into Tellow's repo - he wants me to make the fixes directly in the wx dependency repo rather than hacking them into PCSX2. Just need to find the time. If you want to private message and get involved, let me know.

Sponsored links

(02-05-2021, 10:41 AM)kodistamine Wrote: Any chance to run emulator on Big Sur (11.2) ?
Just downloaded precompiled app yesterday and ran into issue: I am able to run the game, enter menu, then, when I choose "New Game" and the loading completes, the pcsx2 is crashing.
I search for the logs, and see no error message, just "loading loading loading from disc" and then nothing.
Trying to play The Getaway, The Getaway 2 on 2019 16" mbp, Big Sur.

In general, PCSX2 works fine for me on Big Sur on my M1 MacBook Pro (except for controllers). I did test The Getaway and The Getaway - Black Monday: they both crash on my system as well. Setting to sw renderer eventually results in a popup regarding an assertion error. It would appear that they rely on a functionality that is not yet present in PCSX2 macOS.
Is anyone else having issues with the xbone controller on m1? I'm using bluetooth if that makes a difference. It is recognized in onepad, I tried a custom input layout, but no input is detected Sad
(02-06-2021, 09:22 AM)anon123494 Wrote: Is anyone else having issues with the xbone controller on m1?  I'm using bluetooth if that makes a difference.  It is recognized in onepad, I tried a custom input layout, but no input is detected Sad

It also happens with the DualShock 4 controller using a USB cable or using BT. I have notified TellowKrinkle of this but they haven't told me if they are currently working on a fix.

Incidentally, GamePad-Tool also does not work properly on M1 Macs and will not acknowledge any gamepad buttons when trying to create a new mapping. It's built on a very old version of SDL2 (2.0.7) which would likely make any precompiled bindings associated with it invalid for M1 Macs.
(02-06-2021, 04:15 PM)StLouisCPhT Wrote: It also happens with the DualShock 4 controller using a USB cable or using BT. I have notified TellowKrinkle of this but they haven't told me if they are currently working on a fix.

Incidentally, GamePad-Tool also does not work properly on M1 Macs and will not acknowledge any gamepad buttons when trying to create a new mapping. It's built on a very old version of SDL2 (2.0.7) which would likely make any precompiled bindings associated with it invalid for M1 Macs.

Thanks for confirming, I had exactly the same results with game pad tool, although it was able to spit out a generated config for my xbone controller without my input.  Using that generated input did not help though.
(02-07-2021, 12:00 AM)anon123494 Wrote: Thanks for confirming, I had exactly the same results with game pad tool, although it was able to spit out a generated config for my xbone controller without my input.  Using that generated input did not help though.

That was a generic pre-generated config. It won't let you make a custom one.
I just verified that PCSX2 is using an older version of LibSDL2. TellowKrinkle has updated page 1 to reflect this and how to fix it until the next build release.
Just some observations from a quick test of the new build from the 3rd of February (64-bit):

* The GSdx plugin no longer crashes, but it prints a deprecation error in console: *** WARNING: Method userSpaceScaleFactor in class NSView is deprecated on 10.7 and later. It should not be used in new applications. Use convertRectToBacking: instead.  

* It also says an icon and "hicolor theme" was not found, but that's probably not important. 

* Software mode is still great! It performs better than OGL at native resolution, and doesn't suffer from as many graphical issues. 

Software:

OGL Native Resolution:

OGL 720p: 

720p and 1080p upscaling look fantastic, but they're still unplayable for me.

In these screenshots even though the titlebar says OGL Normal resolution is only slightly below 60fps, it's actually not smooth and there is audio skipping. Software mode is the way to go.

Tested on:
macOS 11.2 
MBA 2.2Ghz dual core i7 
8GB Ram
Intel HD 6000 iGPU
"DSA not supported"
(02-07-2021, 01:58 PM)MacUser Wrote: Just some observations from a quick test of the new build from the 3rd of February (64-bit):

* The GSdx plugin no longer crashes, but it prints a deprecation error in console: *** WARNING: Method userSpaceScaleFactor in class NSView is deprecated on 10.7 and later. It should not be used in new applications. Use convertRectToBacking: instead.  

* It also says an icon and "hicolor theme" was not found, but that's probably not important. 

In these screenshots even though the titlebar says OGL Normal resolution is only slightly below 60fps, it's actually not smooth and there is audio skipping. Software mode is the way to go.

The first 2 errors have been around for a while, but you might not have noticed them before.

It's actually the other way around performance wise on an M1 Mac - although I am forced to use SW for 3 games: Phantasy Star Generation 1, Phantasy Star Universe & PSU Ambition of the Illuminus. Oddly, Phantasy Star Generation 2 works in both HW and SW rendering.
(02-07-2021, 04:49 PM)StLouisCPhT Wrote: The first 2 errors have been around for a while, but you might not have noticed them before.

Yep, probably....

(02-07-2021, 04:49 PM)StLouisCPhT Wrote: It's actually the other way around performance wise on an M1 Mac - although I am forced to use SW for 3 games: Phantasy Star Generation 1, Phantasy Star Universe & PSU Ambition of the Illuminus. Oddly, Phantasy Star Generation 2 works in both HW and SW rendering.

Software mode would have to go through go through Rosetta, but I’m pretty sure OGL is native on M1 (Apple ported it but didn’t update it...?). So yeah, that sounds about right. 

Just out of curiosity, could you post some screenshots showing the performance? What Mac did you get?

I’m probably going to get one of the new Pro Macs with an M1X (or whatever they will be called) when they get updated...
(02-08-2021, 01:26 AM)MacUser Wrote: Yep, probably....

Software mode would have to go through go through Rosetta, but I’m pretty sure OGL is native on M1 (Apple ported it but didn’t update it...?). So yeah, that sounds about right. 

Just out of curiosity, could you post some screenshots showing the performance? What Mac did you get?

I’m probably going to get one of the new Pro Macs with an M1X (or whatever they will be called) when they get updated...

According to Tellowkrinkle, there is some functionality of the OGL plugin that is not used in Rosetta 2 so they were surprised it IS working on the M1s.

I have a 16GB/1TB MacBook Pro. I'll be upgrading though to the next version that is released... assuming there is any appreciable performance improvements. You'll especially love the thermal performance of the new systems; I have only managed to get my system warm enough to run the fan at high speed by trying to build QT5 manually before homebrew released an official ARM cask. Nothing else has managed this, not even running Crysis under Crossover on Ultra settings.