Poll: Is EE overclocking a useful feature?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
91.49%
43 91.49%
No
8.51%
4 8.51%
Total 47 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Overclocking the EE (discussion) (testers wanted)
Hello, i'm sorry i'm so late on this.
I had at some point modified PCSX2 for myself to OC the EE.
At that time it helped with framerate dips in battles of Wild Arms 4 and 5.

This would most certainly be a welcome addition Smile .

Sponsored links

(02-04-2015, 03:40 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: I think the best option is a 5 position slider that is compatible and lines up with our current slider - at least for now. That is the easiest to implement by far.

I agree.
Anyone else think addoing a list of games that improve from overclocking on the first post is a good idea? Kinda like a tally.

I sadly don't think i own a single game that has any slow downs besides * Warriors games, Which since disc swapping doesn't work, i don't play. at least that i've tried so far. SotC will benefit of course, But i can barely play that thing on my rig anyway.
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
Yeah, that's a good idea. That helps to improve the code better to also support the games which doesn't offer any benefits currently.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(02-04-2015, 04:17 PM)hellbringer616 Wrote: Anyone else think addoing a list of games that improve from overclocking on the first post is a good idea? Kinda like a tally.

I sadly don't think i own a single game that has any slow downs besides * Warriors games, Which since disc swapping doesn't work, i don't play. at least that i've tried so far. SotC will benefit of course, But i can barely play that thing on my rig anyway.

Yeah, I own a few games that have hiccups from
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
I'm gonna do some tweaking here in a bit and I may make an updated build.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Disclaimer I barely read 10% of the thread but I think I can share some useful data:

First of all, the PS2 is a dual machine (can be NoC (network on chip)). There are 2 independents CPU that communicate with a serial interface (aka SIF) (as any ethernet cable). EE is around 300MHz, IOP is around 40-50MHz. Every time the EE wants to do IO (except graphics), it needs to communicate with the IOP. IOP is very slow, so you can communicate with it asynchronously. So globally the EE creates a thread that fires the IOP transfer and then sleeps waiting the response.
I see, 2/3 possibilities to check the status.
1/ Awake later and poll the SIF/dma register status
2/ wait a sif interruption
3/ set a timer and wait interuption.

Asynchronous stuff is nice, but often you need the data to continue (MultiThread gameplay is difficult), so I'm sure the EE spends lots of times waiting data from IOP (and potentially othrers DMA transfers). Besides, all this management costs you a lots of extra cycles which doesn't help. So if you overclock the EE CPU, you will spend more time waiting data and therefore, games will be slower (due to your PC limitation). It explains also why both "INTC Spin Detection" and "Wait Loop Detection" improve emulation speed. In the end it might better to overclock the IOP but it will probably break all timings...

On the past, hacking/playing with PCSX2, I found on SotC startup (before any menu) that
* set EE kernel timing close to 0 (which is equivalent to overclock the EE when running kernel code) => very slow external fps !
* set very big EE kernel timing (which is equivalent to underclock the EE when running kernel code) => fast external fps !
I don't what happen but potentially some threads do some heavy polling. We want to avoid to emulate that at all cost but I really don't know.

Overclocking EE will surely increase efficiency to execute some useful code but it will cost a lot on silly polling. It will be a big project but it would be useful to be able to profile internal game to measure properly this addition. I'm thinking about EE time by thread/how many threads switch/how many interruptions because I'm not sure there is an easy way to measure EE real usage or Internal fps.

Now let's get back to the implementation Smile
What is the current speed of the EE? Potentially a +50/+40/+30/+20/+10 0 -33 -50 sliders could be useful for testing (in the end 50 is only a factor of 1.5 as -33).

For the backward compatibility question, I think with a bit of glue it would be possible. I don't think it would be complex (maybe an offset will be enough).

Note: for the extra tab with one option. Well don't worry, new options will likely in the future, in particular developer options Smile
I got the EE slider to go from -2 to +2 now, so I'm gonna make an updated build that is drop in compatible to the current INI. It will also have more possible ticks on the OC side for more granularity (maybe).
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
for greater granularity, wouldn't we have to use floats instead of int's?
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(02-04-2015, 10:50 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: for greater granularity, wouldn't we have to use floats instead of int's?

For much greater we would.

But I'm testing that. I fully excpect things to explode when I start sending partial cycle delays though!