PCSX2 1.0 released!
Hail king bositman! Laugh

Sponsored links

Guessing 1 million downloads before the end of 2 weeks. Maybe a month...
the 0.9.8 have more than 2 millions man not to mention how wide spread according to the last one Tongue
congrats to the team including past and present members. been following the project since .8
v 1.0.0, at last....... Smile
(08-08-2012, 03:02 AM)abdo123 Wrote: the 0.9.8 have more than 2 millions man not to mention how wide spread according to the last one Tongue

0.9.8 has been out for more than a year and 1.0 for 4 days Tongue
[Image: newsig.jpg]
well then check the difference ~1/2 million in 4 days or 2 millions in a year Tongue
I do believe it's slightly more popular... Smile

PS: This is probably going to sound stupid and I'm sure someone else has had a similar idea before....but wouldn't it be better if you code the emu so each emulated component can get a core to itself, and if they can't, then they start sharing?
(08-08-2012, 03:09 PM)Sandman366 Wrote: I do believe it's slightly more popular... Smile

PS: This is probably going to sound stupid and I'm sure someone else has had a similar idea before....but wouldn't it be better if you code the emu so each emulated component can get a core to itself, and if they can't, then they start sharing?

That's more or less how it is now. There's a core dedicated to the EE (main CPU), a core dedicated to the GS (GPU), and possibly more cores if you enable multithreaded software renderer (when you have enough cores on your system), and there's a core for the VU if you enable MTVU.

However, it should be noted that communication/synchronization between cores/threads has an non-negligible overhead, and it's also quite hard to pull off technically, but was still managed by the team.
(08-08-2012, 03:09 PM)Sandman366 Wrote: I do believe it's slightly more popular... Smile

In theory: Yes giving each component its own core would probably bring performance increases.

In practice: Not a chance, some units are so tightly linked, the overhead of the threading code and amount of sync work we would have to do to make it function correctly would probably slow it down considerably. This is one reason the VU1 got threaded and not VU0. Plus VU1 generally does a lot of work and really needs its own thread Tongue2

GS, EE, VU0, VU1 - these are the units that do the most work in the emulator, if possible it would be good to put all these on a seperate core each, then have 1 core for SPU2, IOP, VIF etc. However as stated in practice this isnt feasable.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]