PCSX2 - Widescreen Game Patches
(05-26-2012, 02:43 PM)No.47 Wrote: True, but maybe he wants proper "hor+" widescreen modes. Unfortunately the GoW games are "vert-", at least the first one. The second one is something between hor+ and vert- I think...

Yeah, that's right, to cover those horizontal black bars, GoW 1 only has vertical WS support.

Sponsored links

Hi Guys,

is MGS3: Subsistence (PAL-E) patchable into 16:9 mode?

I tried to look for the patch but nobody seems to have it. Could anyone help?
cpu: i5-2410m | gpu: Nvidia GT 555m 2GB | mem: 4 GB
(05-27-2012, 03:04 PM)strider3871 Wrote: Hi Guys,

is MGS3: Subsistence (PAL-E) patchable into 16:9 mode?

I tried to look for the patch but nobody seems to have it. Could anyone help?
It certainly is patchable. You can find the patches for MGS3 - Snake Eater (NTSC-J) and MGS3 - Subsistence (NTSC-U) in this thread, so porting over to the PAL version should be very easy.

Hint: Just search for the value 3F800000 around 202xxxxx. You will find the variables to change the horizontal FOV and the vertical FOV. Override the first one with 3F400000 and it's done.
(If you don't find them simply search a wider area.)

EDIT: Don't forget to post the values here afterwards Wink
(05-27-2012, 04:35 PM)No.47 Wrote: It certainly is patchable. You can find the patches for MGS3 - Snake Eater (NTSC-J) and MGS3 - Subsistence (NTSC-U) in this thread, so porting over to the PAL version should be very easy.

Hint: Just search for the value 3F800000 around 202xxxxx. You will find the variables to change the horizontal FOV and the vertical FOV. Override the first one with 3F400000 and it's done.
(If you don't find them simply search a wider area.)

EDIT: Don't forget to post the values here afterwards Wink

Thanks for the quick reply btw Smile
Could you be a bit more step by step? I am a bit lost. I read Hyakki's post on WSH and the way I see it (after trying to run the program) is that the program scans automatically, so I am kinda confused on how to set it to look for specific range of values? I know that there are fields that you can change (e.g.: search for and replace), but when I tried to key in the number that you mentioned, the screen just turned opaque green Tongue2
(05-27-2012, 05:07 PM)strider3871 Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply btw Smile
Could you be a bit more step by step? I am a bit lost. I read Hyakki's post on WSH and the way I see it (after trying to run the program) is that the program scans automatically, so I am kinda confused on how to set it to look for specific range of values? I know that there are fields that you can change (e.g.: search for and replace), but when I tried to key in the number that you mentioned, the screen just turned opaque green Tongue2
If you click on your memory range selection ("2xxx" written in blue color) you can set which range you want to search exactly. Choose "Find 3f800000" and "Replace 3f400000". You should now see that the FOV in the game changes. In the Log window you see all adresses that are possible candidates. Cut down the scanned range to find the right one, alternatively copy the whole list into a pnach patch file and use that (you need to choose "enable cheats" in PCSX2 then) to sort out the useless adresses.

You can also use Cheat Engine instead of the Widescreen Helper. See the great guide written by synce here. But you don't need to, in case of MGS3 the Widescreen Helper gets the job done easily.
(05-27-2012, 05:31 PM)No.47 Wrote: If you click on your memory range selection ("2xxx" written in blue color) you can set which range you want to search exactly. Choose "Find 3f800000" and "Replace 3f400000". You should now see that the FOV in the game changes. In the Log window you see all adresses that are possible candidates. Cut down the scanned range to find the right one, alternatively copy the whole list into a pnach patch file and use that (you need to choose "enable cheats" in PCSX2 then) to sort out the useless adresses.

You can also use Cheat Engine instead of the Widescreen Helper. See the great guide written by synce here. But you don't need to, in case of MGS3 the Widescreen Helper gets the job done easily.

LOL your info gave me something new at least Tongue2 I had no idea that 2xxx (in blue colour) can be set to specific range of values Tongue2
Anyway... I tried your suggestion and this happened: the screen zoomed in to the character and then immediately turned green (the whole screen). Now the way I understand it, the most common val to store screen ratio is either 3F800000 or 3F400000 (so either one of those has to be keyed into the "search" field, correct?) But how do you know the what value to key in the "replace"?
As I wrote: Choose "Find 3f800000" and "Replace 3f400000".
3f800000 = 1 needs to be replaced with 3f400000 = 0.75 to get a proper widescreen ratio (0.75 = 1 x 0.75) in case of MGS3.

If the screen turns green or freezes or whatever you need to sort out the responsible adresses first. Otherwise you won't find the adress responsible for the horizontal FOV.

For MGS3 - Subsistence (NTSC-U) the correct adress is 202050AC, so you could also try this first. I suppose it's not exactly the same for the PAL version but somewhere near.
(05-27-2012, 06:19 PM)No.47 Wrote: As I wrote: Choose "Find 3f800000" and "Replace 3f400000".
3f800000 = 1 needs to be replaced with 3f400000 = 0.75 to get a proper widescreen ratio (0.75 = 1 x 0.75) in case of MGS3.

If the screen turns green or freezes or whatever you need to sort out the responsible adresses first. Otherwise you won't find the adress responsible for the horizontal FOV.

For MGS3 - Subsistence (NTSC-U) the correct adress is 202050AC, so you could also try this first. I suppose it's not exactly the same for the PAL version but somewhere near.

OK, got a chunk of values on my list here Tongue2 Looks like I'm gonna have to try one by one to narrow it down to the correct value. Thanks for your suggestion, wish me luck Smile I'll post the result if I get a good result Smile
Don't try them one by one, use interval bisection.
Override all addresses in the first half of your list of candidates and check if the FOV has changed. If it has you know the address responsible for the FOV lies in the first half and the second can be scrapped, if not it lies in the second half and the first can be scrapped. Continue by examining one half of the remaining addresses and scrapping the useless one, until you find the address/es (only one in case of MGS3) responsible for the horizontal FOV.
By using this method you should find the address pretty quickly.
(05-28-2012, 11:06 AM)No.47 Wrote: Don't try them one by one, use interval bisection.
Override all addresses in the first half of your list of candidates and check if the FOV has changed. If it has you know the address responsible for the FOV lies in the first half and the second can be scrapped, if not it lies in the second half and the first can be scrapped. Continue by examining one half of the remaining addresses and scrapping the useless one, until you find the address/es (only one in case of MGS3) responsible for the horizontal FOV.
By using this method you should find the address pretty quickly.

ok... here's what happened: (during running WSH)
1) The screen zoomed in very close to the char
2) a few sec later the screen zoomed out to the grass surrounding the char
3) The Screen finally went green (waited a few sec after and still green)
4) Did not see the screen went 16:9 at all, so stopped WSH
5) I figured out the garbage caused by the 2nd half of the list, discarded everything on the 2nd half
6) On the first half narrowed it down to some values and finally down to this:
patch=1,EE,202055F4,extended,3F400000 // 3F800000

7) Still no change to 16:9 , did I do something wrong?

Sorry to disappoint Sad will read how to use the other program that you mentioned