Removal of Custom resolution from GSdx
(07-24-2015, 01:20 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Currently GS dumps are replayed by the actual emulated GS afaik. They contain the output of the EE core that would be fed to the emulated GS.

Hmm. Don't most games feed the gs with vu1?
Well, I guess it doesn't make a difference for dumps..

Sponsored links

(07-23-2015, 11:00 PM)willkuer Wrote: Actually sounds interesting... What about a HLE gs plugin? Is understandable what the EE is throwing into the GS and what it expects to get? With other words... are GS dumps readable?

I already had this idea a couple of week ago. Detect the effect the game want to do/emulate on the GS and use directly higher GPU mechanism. For example tri-ace game (star ocean3) uses the alpha channel to emulate a pseudo stencil buffer. Replace it with a real stencil buffer and you gain 30-40fps. I don't think it would be easy because you can't predict easily the future. However it will be a very nice project.

Anyway let's stop dreaming and let's get back to the topic
I personally think you can remove the Custom resolution, I used it only once or twice but once I started using the multiplier I found that to be more satisfying. (Less glitches and looks better)
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 6000+ 3.0Ghz
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD4650
Rams: 4GB
currently there are plans on removal of custom resolution from the code base, if anyone still prefers the custom resolution for any reasons please mention them, Thanks.

you can follow the progress here: https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/pull/803
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
I can be useful for finding(and temporarily bypassing) problems with resolutions in certain games. And the current x native scaling isn't very clear, at least for novice users it can be confusing because the menu doesn't mention what the native resolution is and they might not know which is best for them.
native resolution isn't a set value, it varies from game to game.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

It's game and possibly scene dependent.

The native resolution is written in the titlebar. According to the devs the custom resolution is even more confusing since you don't get what you expect.

And touching settings you don't know is for no program reasonable.
I agree with him, native doesn't mean anything. So we would rename it as SSAA (aka super sampling anti aliasing).
(09-07-2015, 09:51 PM)refraction Wrote: native resolution isn't a set value, it varies from game to game.
Yes, so the current selected value should be written in the scaling menu for clarity.
I don't get why you are always insisting in ssaa instead of upscaling. Maybe I learned something wrong but to my knowledge ssaa conserves the amount of final pixels and super samples are just calculated to evaluate the final pixel color. In our case we add samples as well but we add them only at new pixel positions and don't average over them. The down sampling part of ssaa is completely missing or?

I think for a user the clear benefit of upscaling is more obvious than ssaa.

(09-07-2015, 10:29 PM)FlatOut Wrote: Yes, so the current selected value should be written in the scaling menu for clarity.

How can you write it down if you don't know the exact value?