Rogue Galaxy; Slow voices
(11-15-2009, 10:38 PM)Bositman Wrote:
Quote:My PC IS fast enough to run it "out of the box" (I built it myself). If I don't limit my FPS to 70, the game runs too fast to be played. Ealier when I said I'd get low FPS, it would only happen (Oddly) when I'd limit FPS to 60. Since I started to limit it to 70, it usually never lags at all. Though the sound comes through really slow, sometimes two character may talk at the same time as eachother even though the second character was replying to the first's statement.

That is most probably caused by the VU skip hack you have at max. If you read the description you'd know at the max level it is VERY unstable and can break games in a pretty severe fashion. You should turn it down and let the FPS at limit.

Quote:Just a note, it's not so much of a problem anymore with these settings. Though it will occasionally slow down and character's lines will overlap eachother. Also, what makes an old game like this more demanding than let's say... Call of Duty 4 in which I can get 80-90 FPS with max AA/AF and settings? Is it the emulator itself? Because this game's graphics and effects are positively not up to par with games my PC can run without issues.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-2330.html So yes, it's the emulation process that simply can't be compared to running an actual PC game designed for the PC architecture.

I turned that hack on to get the results I have now, though(Which are better than before). I'll turn it down a bit and see if it works any better again, though. Thanks to everyone for trying to help out.

Sponsored links

Yay, max VU cycle steal + full ee and iop sync hacks = totally screwed up virtual ps2. Be glad it runs at all with these settings.
Rather than posting in a fasion where it seems like you're trying to call me an idiot, could you point out the really big problem? I followed someone else's suggestions on what to enable from another forum. The game runs fine now, just the occasional sound screw up. Also, while running the emulator, my processor is only at 40% usage and everything feels smooth as can be. I could run two at once and still have processor power left over.

EDIT: With those settings, Final Fantasy XII now runs fine at 70FPS.

Mind actually suggesting what I should enable/disable so I can try and post back with my results? I went off of the descriptions, and most of what I have enabled says "Speedup in most/some games", so I experimented and the game runs good. What's the problem?
Quote:I went off of the descriptions, and most of what I have enabled says "Speedup in most/some games"
You can read that but not the parts where it says the speedhacks reduce compatibility?

Ok just looking at your speedhack settings whoever told you to turn those on was either talking of a different game (speedhacks dont wok the same for all games) or just suggested the worst he could. The EE cyclerate and VU cycle rate speedhacks are known for giving false FPS (effectivelly makign it slower if you use frame limit) or just making things skippy so using them both and specially all the way up is not recommended.

If you want some "stable" speedhacks I'd suggest the INTC and Idle loop hacks enabled, IOP x2 turned off, EE cycle rate x1.5 and vu cycle stealing no higher than "slight", even that can break plenty games already so you should just check if they actually help with speed and not just give higher FPS and basically just try them yourself with a little trial and error until you find the right combination.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Yeah, after hearing your story 10 or 20 times too often, I got fed up with it.
I guess we should hide the speedhacks somehow, maybe make it an ini only setting.

CPU usage is fine for a quadcore. There's many threads about that in this forum.
Basically pcsx2 isn't able to use any more cpu resources, because it has to wait for something (usually the graphic card).

Try using spu2-x as sound plugin, maybe that helps on the sound issue.
Remember though that as soon as you go below 60fps, sound will have issues ("fixing" the fps using sync hacks makes it worse usually).
Quote:You can read that but not the parts where it says the speedhacks reduce compatibility?

Of course I did, which is why I said I did some experimenting.

Quote:Yeah, after hearing your story 10 or 20 times too often, I got fed up with it.

What the hell is your problem? I just replied to the posts here in normal fashion, even posting my settings for more feedback. It's not my fault you have an attitude problem. If you go and read back on my posts prior to your last post on page 1, I did nothing to posit this type of response from you.

Quote:I guess we should hide the speedhacks somehow, maybe make it an ini only setting.

The best thing to do is to get advice, which I tried doing here, but instead have people try to make me look out to be an idiot, and so I experiement with settings to get good results. I did the latter and everyone is basically acting like I'm stupid. I'm a reasonable and logical type person, so of course I took into consideration when a setting says it can break games. But isn't that the point of testing it? It says huge speedup but breaks most games, so if I test it and it doesn't break the game in any noticable way, shouldn't it be used? I mean, the setting exists. Just because I don't have as much experience with the program and a lesser understanding of each setting and it's terminology does not mean I'm incapable of being taught, rather than looked down upon as if I am oblivious.

Quote:If you want some "stable" speedhacks I'd suggest the INTC and Idle loop hacks enabled, IOP x2 turned off, EE cycle rate x1.5 and vu cycle stealing no higher than "slight", even that can break plenty games already so you should just check if they actually help with speed and not just give higher FPS and basically just try them yourself with a little trial and error until you find the right combination.

I'll try, and I never just compare the FPS value displayed, I can tell when my FPS drops below 60 visually. I play mostly FPS games online so I have a keen eye for FPS.

Update: With using EE x1.5 instead of x2, and lowering VU Cycle Stealing, my game runs about half the speed it use to run. And no, I'm not making this up for arguements sake. If need be I'd be willing to post videos (If I could take any smooth enough to be of any evidential value) to those who wish to bash me further. And I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd bet on you being correct that these settings are USUALLY bad; it's just that possibly these settings run best for this particular game as it appears to do so in this instance.
OK then, keep using the aggressive hacks and live with the audio desycn issues. It's a double edged knife and you can't have everything, so problem solved.

Rama is frustrated because we get so many support threads from people using full on speed hacks. No one seems to bother thinking that yes speed hacks will increase your game speed but will also cause huge problems, including fake FPS. Having to say that over and over and over again in addition to trying to help a person using so many hacks gets very frustrating very fast.

All in all, you really can't and should not complain/wonder about bugs or problems when you're using all hacks maxed.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
If you'd read back you'd see that the sound issues were actually worse BEFORE using these hacks. Apparantly this case wasn't like the rest. I TESTED the speedhacks AFTER posting here and they ended up working. I can see where you're coming from since things that get repeated on forums are annoying, but you've catagorized my topic too quickly.

Anyways, I appreciate the help.
Yes I DID read it. Did YOU read this post? http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-11454-pos...l#pid87188

So:
1)Your PC is too slow to get full speed with NO speed hacks. So when NOT using speed hacks you will not get full speed thus the audio will lag to be in sync with the slow video
2)When you use speed hacks your PC does reach full FPS (presumably,probably false readings) so the sound would be normal, if it wasn't for the side effects all those hacks you use had, which break sound in this case.

So the problem is that your PC just doesn't cut it for this game.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
There's basically no more problem with sound at all anymore and the speed hacks are not giving me any extra issues. And the audio is not going slow to match the slow video, because the video is not going slow. The only time I ever mentioned getting 40FPS (And it was visually noticble) was when limiting my FPS to 60 oddly. When I do not limit my FPS AT ALL, the entire game runs TOO fast; including sound. I thought that if your PC could not handle the game it wouldn't be possible to run the game at faster than normal speeds?

Here's without FPS limiter(97 FPS). My FPS jumps over 100 at times and it runs too fast. This is all irrelevant though, my problem is solved but we're just rambling on now. I just wanted to clarify a few things.
www.chaos-ro.net/photos/TooFast.jpg