Read first: Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?
Harro all

It's been awhile since I was last on these forums (and used pcsx2 as well). Anyway I recently upgraded my main rig from my trusty old laptop to the rig in my sig. Tried playing Kingdom Hearts 2 and I was a tad confused for awhile why I was getting low frames. I looked up ATI cards apparently not liking PCSX2 due to driver/architextural reasons. Anyone know if theres a set of drivers that PCSX2 does like; currently using CAT 10.11.

I did a very stable 50 FPS @ native res but I reckon even a single 5970 core should be able to do better then that.
My Rig:
W3580 @ 4.0 Giggle Hurtz
HD5870 @ 900/1250
6 GB 1-7-7-7-20 @ 1600
2x60GB SSD in RAID 0

Sponsored links

Hey I'm back with another inquiry. I am thinking about getting this new dual processor computer. Its a Dell Precision 690.
Specs:

Windows 7, 64bit
2x Xeon Dual Core (total of 4 cores) Hyperthread (total of 8 threads) at 3.0GHz / 4(x2)Mb cache / 667 FSB.
4GB DDR2 PC5300 ECC Registered RAM.
500GB SATAII HDD with 16MB cache.
I'm not sure what kind of graphics card it will take though. It seems to be very limited on graphics capability, only taking up to a 150 watt card, with a maximum of 512mb. PCIe x16.

Yes I am aware that is a server, but I am optimizing it for desktop use.
I am 100% certain this time, that the CPUs can handle PCSX2, what I am worried about is the graphics card situation. Limited to only 150 watts and 512mb. I found this warning in the manual. Says the pcie x16 slot cant take a card that draws more than 150 watts.

Any comments, concerns, suggestions would be greatly appreciated
**correction**

I may not be installing windows 7 as i just found out that dell doesn't support 7 on this computer (though I might still try, as I know it IS possible, just a pain in the ass) But it would appear my choices are:

XP Pro SP2
XP Pro x64 edition (never heard of it)
Vista

If these are my only choices, I will probably go with xp pro x64, as I have heard nothing but hate towards vista. and i am very well used to XP and prefer it over 7 anyways.
The article I read stating all this was written in 2006 I believe, so it is possible that this information is no longer accurate. If it turns out I CAN get 7 on it, I will do that, even though I like XP better, I know it's time for me to upgrade.

Thoughts please...
Vista Service pack 2 is very stable unlike what the usual haters like to say (probably some n00bs ruining their PCs and then blaming it on the OS). I know for a fact XP 64bit is very unstable and finding drivers for it is an extreme pain (if at all possible). Thus if 7 is out of the question I highly recommend Vista SP2.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Ok guys, my apologies for this THIRD post, but there has been some changes to my PC I am building. This time it is 99% set in stone. And the specs are:

OS - XP Pro 64bit (this is the only thing I might change, to Win7 64bit, if I can manage that)
PSU - 1000W
CPUs - 2x Xeon Dual Core Hyperthread processors at 3.2ghz / 4mb cache / 1066mhz FSB
RAM - Starting with 4GB DDR2 667mhz ECC. It can take up to 64GB, and ECC ram is really cheap, so I will probably increase that.
HDD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda SATA3.0 7200rpm with 32mb cache
GPU - NVIDIA Sparkle GeForce 210 512mb 64bit DDR3 (part # for you: SXG210512S3L-NM ) has VGA, DVI and HDMI (I'd be using VGA)

This I am sure will run PCSX2 just fine. Only thing I am still a little iffy about is that graphics card. But it would appear that is the best card I can put on this mobo.

Thoughts, questions, comments, concerns, suggestions please...
The 210 is extremely weak and will probably kill your frame rates in most games. XP 64bit, talked above about it Tongue
(02-10-2011, 07:29 PM)Insom Wrote: This I am sure will run PCSX2 just fine. Only thing I am still a little iffy about is that graphics card. But it would appear that is the best card I can put on this mobo.

Thoughts, questions, comments, concerns, suggestions please...

I would say you can run at 40 Fps if on a resolution equal or lower that 1024x768.Being the card and the ram the ceiling.

No offense dude, but what's with the outdated hardware? system buses were always the problem in the beggining of the decade, now it seems we are getting out of the woods with the intel QPI, I myself am on a budget, as you can see on my post, but I would never choose 667Mhz ram or... I mean, apart from the trend of high-end hardware getting cheaper (Xeon is still a beast with a monster transistor count) I think you could find modern, better components for the same price, just a thought, I may be wrong.

Damn. Well the package I'm getting comes with the GeForce 210. I can get something else. I just have no idea what to get, that's the thing. I need to know how much wattage each card draws. My PSU has 1000w so it's fine, but im worried my pci slot will fry if i suck more than 150w through it. Other than the graphics problem this is, i think, a really freaking good computer! double cpu, dual cor, AND hyperthread. Windows reads it as 4 physical cores, 8 logical! Zomygoodness lol Oh and BTW, I got the whole thing for $360. XD

About the OS though, the package is coming with an XP 64bit disc with the drivers. So I don't think it should pose much of a problem. If it turns out I don't like it for any reason or it starts causing me trouble, I will obtain a windows 7 64bit disc and figure it out.

But any suggestions on graphics cards? I know it poses kind of a difficult inquiry. Something 512mb, limited to 150watts, that will run PCSX2. And I really need it to have a VGA port. I don't want to buy a new monitor. Please help me find something!
Better make a new thread in the hardware section since this is drifting quite off-topic.
My god, I know, im sorry, didnt mean to drag the thread into my hardware troubles lol. Oh and I just found out that 512mb limit was not true, the article i read was just way outdated. I just found someone with the same mobo who has a 1gb card in it. So i am gonna take a guess and say the 150watt limit is also bogus. So i guess i didnt really need much help from the forum afterall, but thanx anyways! And my apologies again for what seems to be me spamming the thread with HERE LOOK AT MY NEW PC!! lol just wanted to be sure it will work for PCSX2. So my final question. If I put in a geforce 9800 1gb, that should do it you think?