Read first: Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?
gt 9400 is a very bad card. you will need at least 9600 gts. also if you got a single core cpu that was a mistake... you need a 2 core cpu.
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest

Sponsored links

Yes, a dual core, indeed.

But, that 9400 GT isn't too bad. I had one. It'll be OK on native for many games, but you'll never really know it with a P4.

@ Insom:
You do realize that Intel's next line of processors (next year) will consist of nothing short of a quad core? If that's not telling you it's time to upgrade, consider your single core's inability to emulate a system that's 10 years old (much less play modern PC games) as a good indication to upgrade.
I LOL'd at Insom. P4's cost $15 max, and $80 max for a full system. That was hardly an upgrade, and would have trouble with most PC games too.
Seriously man go drop $600 on modern parts @ newegg, you'll thank yourself. i5 2500K cuts through PS2 games and video encoding etc like butter.
@Insom: You've just wasted your money on legacy hardware that exist in the 1990s lol.
You guys keep referring to it as just a standard Pentium 4, which I know THEY SUCK. Thing that I'm trying to point out though is this is a hyperthreader, at 3.4ghz, with 2mb cache.. I know for a fact it outperforms a lot of dual cores on multitasking and speed. NOT ALL, I know, but a lot of them. I know it will outperform a Pentium D or a Celeron D. And some Core 2 Duos. And yes I am aware a STANDARD pentium 4 is $10 - $15.. This CPU cost me $40.

The only problem I have noticed with this thing though is that, where a dual core can handle both, lots of small tasks, or one huge task... The hyperthreader can handle lots of little tasks, but cant handle one huge one like PCSX2. Thing is, 99.9% of what I use my computer for is just lots of little tasks: web browsing, listening to music, instant messaging... PCSX2 is the hardest program I have ever had this processor try to take on. My point in all this is, maybe it isn't quite good enough to handle PCSX2, but it still does everything else I ask it, perfectly, with speed, and without a hitch. I don't believe I wasted my money on a piece of crap at all.
Uh... I'm sorry but no...

The hyper-threading in a Pentium 4 is not as good as an extra core, on best cases it will give 30% extra performance over a normal P4 3.4Ghz (no HT). You may have find it much better but maybe cause you don't know any better and for today's standards it's still very slow...

The CPU must have costed you only 40 bucks but take in count even a cheap Pentium Dual-Core E5500 (2.8Ghz and around 65bucks) may outperform that Pentium 4 HT by around twice as much and that's not even taking in count the Overclock potential, lower temperatures and overall better architecture (based on core 2 duo).
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(02-07-2011, 03:19 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: The CPU must have costed you only 40 bucks but take in count even a cheap Pentium Dual-Core E5500 (2.8Ghz and around 65bucks) may outperform that Pentium 4 HT by around twice as much and that's not even taking in count the Overclock potential, lower temperatures and overall better architecture (based on core 2 duo).

Lol, even a Celeron E3400 for $50 will outperform it. Question is, would his motherboard have worked with a 45nm processor? Still $40 for a Pentium 4, even one with HT, is too much. Shouldn't have cost more than $20.
I'm only going by the crap I read online. Google can be amazingly accurate, or amazingly inaccurate (usually inaccurate lol) The article I read went on about how hyperthreads outperform Pentium and Celeron Ds and some C2Ds. I believed it, cause for all I saw, there was a huge improvement from my old P4 2.8, 512kb cache, 533 bus rate. I think the step up to P4 HT 3.4, 2mb cache, 800 bus rate was more than a 30% improvement. Or at least, it feels like it. I do know for a fact thought that it outperformed my friend's C2D 2.1ghz laptop (3gb ddr3). We have tested them side by side a few times just for kicks, and mine always seems to load up stuff alot faster, and had not problem performing a million tasks at once, where as is started to get slower.

ANYWAYS I dont know why I am making this seem like an all out CPU war lol plain and simple facts are, the P4 HT, though a great improvement over the P4, it still cant handle PCSX2 very well, so it's not even really worth talking about it as much as I have lol sorry XD. After all, this is a PCSX2 Forum lol. So anyways, I think I have concluded that I am going to stick with my P4HT for a little while, cause I'm perfectly happy with it. I will wait on PCSX2 until I get my new comp sometime in the future.
Sorry to add another will it run question to the pile, but this is more of a "I think it should run well, why isn't it running well?" kind of question. I have the following:

Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz @ 4.40GHz DDR3 Sandybridge System
2 x ATI Radeon HD 6950 2048MB GDDR5 (Crossfire setup)
4GB RAM
OCZ Vertex 2E 120GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

From what I read this should be enough to play most PS2 games well. But so far only SSX Tricky and Viewtiful Joe and Persona 4 have ran without noticeable levels of slowdown. I've tried running using what appears to be the general PCSX2 setup but most games suffer bad slowdown at 1920x1080. Shadow of the Colossus for example runs nicely until Argo shows up and then it's suddenly running really slow. Tried changing various settings around, but the slowdown remains. Any ideas? Or is this really beyond my system?
SoTC has some problems, you can try VUstealing, I hear that helps. (or you'll have to do some research and build a modified PCSX2 to play that game)