Read first: Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?
(06-12-2015, 07:21 PM)AoMythology Wrote: I'll probably get Broadwell (because of a great IGP, I can get a dGPU later). Whether I get the i5 or the i7 depends on this: can anyone tell me for certain that having five or six rendering threads on a non-hexacore CPU makes a lot of difference?

No, it's not really worth it even on a hexcore
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]

Sponsored links

(06-12-2015, 07:23 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: No, it's not really worth it even on a hexcore

Thanks. I think it's still worth it to get an i7, though, since if we add together the two threads PCSX uses -plus MTVU, plus the software threads-, then HT should be quite useful.
It is still worth it. As I mentioned before, even if what Nobbs66 is saying is correct and you don't get any benefit past 4 extra rendering threads, the only processors capable of giving PCSX2 that many extra threads are processors with 4+ threads. In Intel's case, only Core-i7s and Xeons have that luxury.
[Image: pNm13X9.gif]
Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909 | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD | WD Red Plus 8TB

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
Games that don't need a strong CPU
(06-13-2015, 08:34 PM)karasuhebi Wrote: It is still worth it. As I mentioned before, even if what Nobbs66 is saying is correct and you don't get any benefit past 4 extra rendering threads, the only processors capable of giving PCSX2 that many extra threads are processors with 4+ threads. In Intel's case, only Core-i7s and Xeons have that luxury.

actually, the benefit of extra rendering threads depends on the games themselves, on some games I still get a boost on extra rendering threads set to 6 on other games any value over 3 will create slowdowns, I hope you get the point.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Hi. This looks to be the right thread for my question.

My cousin is giving me an i3 laptop and I won't be getting it unless it can run PCSX2.

Here are the specs:
Intel Core i3 3110m 2.4ghz (3rd generation)
Intel HD 4000 Graphics card
4GB memory
500gb Harddrive

The games I plan to play involve Star Ocean, the Suikoden games, Fatal Frame games, Radiant Historia, Siren 2, the Persona games, and FFX-2. I'm not even going to expect that SoC will work on it, Haha. Will I be able to play the games with those specs? Smile
(06-16-2015, 11:10 AM)wilsonfreddyson Wrote: Hi. This looks to be the right thread for my question.

My cousin is giving me an i3 laptop and I won't be getting it unless it can run PCSX2.

Here are the specs:
Intel Core i3 3110m 2.4ghz (3rd generation)
Intel HD 4000 Graphics card
4GB memory
500gb Harddrive

The games I plan to play involve Star Ocean, the Suikoden games, Fatal Frame games, Radiant Historia, Siren 2, the Persona games, and FFX-2. I'm not even going to expect that SoC will work on it, Haha. Will I be able to play the games with those specs? Smile

the FF series should work well , no clue about the other games.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
I Need Help. I Have A 4GB Nvidia Graphics Card But Still My Games On PCSX2 Are Slow. Before I had an AMD Radeon 1GB. Now I Have 4GB Nvidia But Its Still No Difference. All my other games (not in pcsx2) Like GTA V or Dragon Ball Xenoverse are having good FPS. But Not PCSX2. Why Is That? Please Help Sad Sad Sad
please open your own thread
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(06-17-2015, 11:18 AM)Hype_Zen Wrote: I Need Help. I Have A 4GB Nvidia Graphics Card But Still My Games On PCSX2 Are Slow. Before I had an AMD Radeon 1GB. Now I Have 4GB Nvidia But Its Still No Difference. All my other games (not in pcsx2) Like GTA V or Dragon Ball Xenoverse are having good FPS. But Not PCSX2. Why Is That? Please Help Sad Sad Sad

I don't think a simple question like yours deserves a extra new thread so, I will answer it here.

you think that VRAM is the only indicator of the higher computational power of a GPU , which is accurately imprecise. by the way, PCSX2 needs a powerful processor for the conversion of those PS2 instruction sets, MMI instruction sets to SSE based instruction sets. so, it's pretty heavy on the CPU side.

so, it's quite likely that your CPU is on the weak side.
- Refraction
(06-18-2015, 02:40 PM)ssakash Wrote: I don't think a simple question like yours deserves a extra new thread so, I will answer it here.

you think that VRAM is the only indicator of the higher computational power of a GPU , which is accurately imprecise. by the way, PCSX2 needs a powerful processor for the conversion of those PS2 instruction sets, MMI instruction sets to SSE based instruction sets. so, it's pretty heavy on the CPU side.

so, it's quite likely that your CPU is on the weak side.

Exactly.... tbh pcsx2 does not need a strong graphics card in most circumstances if you have a strong cpu for software mode... in fact pcsx2 works great in a VPS with only an emulated graphics card...
Motherboard: SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz @ 4.8ghz 1.41 v
GPU: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 @ 1866