Read first: Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?
(04-28-2010, 09:19 AM)algeroth Wrote: If PCSX2 (or other emus that don't use more than 2 cores and require it like Dolphin) won't support multicore technology, It'll be obsolete in no much time.

Wrong.
The multi core mess is the only answer CPU makers have left to increase speed in *some* applications.
That doesn't mean every software developer now has to search and find every slight possibility to thread out work.
Forcing more threads on PCSX2 like that for example would give you a fps loss due to dependency stalls, and it'd make it more easy to introduce new bugs.

So instead of even more cores (sigh, are we at 6 now?), give us faster / more versatile SSE like stuff!

Sponsored links

(04-28-2010, 10:59 AM)rama Wrote:
(04-28-2010, 09:19 AM)algeroth Wrote: If PCSX2 (or other emus that don't use more than 2 cores and require it like Dolphin) won't support multicore technology, It'll be obsolete in no much time.

Wrong.
The multi core mess is the only answer CPU makers have left to increase speed in *some* applications.
That doesn't mean every software developer now has to search and find every slight possibility to thread out work.
Forcing more threads on PCSX2 like that for example would give you a fps loss due to dependency stalls, and it'd make it more easy to introduce new bugs.

So instead of even more cores (sigh, are we at 6 now?), give us faster / more versatile SSE like stuff!

Rama, I'm not saying multicore is the best solution. But as you say, CPU makers trust multicore technology. I think that's because they can't afford more speed with single core or implement a fast multithreading technology inside one single core. Not sure really

I think the difficulty lay on synchronizing the threads. Actually we are at 4 cores + HyperThreading on basic - medium I7 CPU's and 6 cores + HT on high end CPU's. Please explain me how can you have less fps with 4+ cores. Correct me if I' m wrong please: The fp loss is because the cores would introduce "idle" cycles to wait for each other or something like that?. I don't know if it's the CPU or de OS the one that synchronize the cores/threads but I think that optimization is the key and proper software runs faster on a multicore architecture, and if CPU makers will increase the number of cores, commercial software will be "optimized" for multicore, so CPU's with more cores will replace ones with lesser cores, just as Dual cores replaced PIV that replaced PIII that replaced PII..

That's just my opinion, as I read you are a PCSX2 coder, so I assume you have more knowledge of this stuff Wink

By the way, thanks a lot four your work and efforts to bring us this Emu. Even without the posibillity to run it at full speed with my machines, It's still impressive
Quote:Yesterday I noticed that Crysis dinamicaly divides all processes to the cores and Hyperthreading threads so my CPU were executing 8 Processes at the same time at 900 MHZ all the time.

Hmmm don't be fooled Crysis only uses 2 cores IIRC.
So, I had a 1 gb 4850 @ 625 MHz, and my WEI score was 7.3 for graphics.. then i took it out and installed a new 1 gb gts250 @ 738 MHz, my WEI score for graphics went down to 6.9..!!
So.. I thought that gts250 was better than 4850, isnt it? why did my score go down? I was kinda shocked.. a little disappointed..? hahaha.

btw, what's up with CUDA? i've been doing research and stuff, but havent found any good SIMPLE explanation as to what it is.
why does CUDA give nvidia the upperhand over radeon? what does CUDA do?
Uh 4850 isn't any worse than GTS 250 lol, well not much worse anyways. Should've upgraded to something better lol like 5850 Tongue
(04-28-2010, 07:26 PM)sakraycore Wrote:
Quote:Yesterday I noticed that Crysis dinamicaly divides all processes to the cores and Hyperthreading threads so my CPU were executing 8 Processes at the same time at 900 MHZ all the time.

Hmmm don't be fooled Crysis only uses 2 cores IIRC.

Then my CPU was doing other things without being noticed... Laugh. If cpu speed is at 900 mhz, it's dividing threads and using all the cores (with intel turboboost activated) . If Crysis really uses only 2 cores speed should be at 2.4 - 2.5 mhz. Anyway I don't wanna fall in offtopic but I think you're wrong... I just observed CPU-z values with crysis as the only program running on my computer...
http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_p...t_2,3.html

With Phenom II X4 and Phenom II X2 @ the same clocks and pulling similar FPS , I don't think Crysis Warhead takes advantage of more than 2 cores. And Crysis Warhead is newer than Crysis as well..
(04-29-2010, 11:20 AM)sakraycore Wrote: http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_p...t_2,3.html

With Phenom II X4 and Phenom II X2 @ the same clocks and pulling similar FPS , I don't think Crysis Warhead takes advantage of more than 2 cores. And Crysis Warhead is newer than Crysis as well..

Mmmm maybe you're right, but I'm almost sure all the 4 cores are in use while executing crysis.

For example while running pcsx, clock speed reaches 2.4 - 2.5 ghz because as we all know it uses two cores...

Strange I7 behaviour...
That's a Windows feature, spreading the load across all available cores.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Esquired Admin,

My Computer Spec :
Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 2.4GHz
Asus P5GC-MX 1300
Geforce 7200 256MB
Windows 7 32
RAM DDR2 2GB
HDD Seagate Baracuda 7200 250GB

I want PCSX2 to work normal/fast (not slow), can you help me please ?

Thanks
Best Regards

mrafin / Eko (indonesia)