Read first: Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?
Hey guys. I have a question. A friend of mine wants to be able to play PCSX2. He has a laptop in mind with an AMD A8-4500M CPU (Quad Core...) to play in standard resolution with overclocked 7640G. Assuming it's like my old one and can go 2800MHZ on 4 Cores simultaneously, with the MTVU hack, and an extra software rendering thread or and maybe SPU2 on it's own thread (You can do that right?) is it enough for PCSX2?

Sponsored links

(02-09-2013, 01:00 AM)mikemikeson00 Wrote: If you want to run PCSX2 on a laptop you probably want it the thicker the better for venting space. Mine reaches 80-85ºC (176-185ºF) when turbo boosting. Cool laptop & running PCSX2 are contradictory.
The PS2 emulation is the driving force of my laptop ambition, however in actuality, I'm really only going to use laptop for gaming less than 1% of the time. In the 7 years I've had my current computer, the only real gaming I've done on PC was Beyond Good and Evil, Plants Vs Zombies, Final Fantasy VIII PC, and Final Fantasy IX on an emulator and I quit at disk three. 7 years and thats all I've gamed, just goes to show you how little I'll actually use PCSX2.

(02-08-2013, 09:35 PM)WarWeeny Wrote: that asus i choose is alot better then the one you had lol

but w/e seems to me like you dont want to get help from people who know what they are talking about.
I'm not denying that your judgement is better than mine. Its just that I'm reading over the specs on both and see no significant difference that makes the one I was looking at qualified to be considered crap. Mind you I was only looking at the one because thats all Amazon's filters would show to me,

I'm just curious to find your reasoning on what is and isn't crap, because in my eyes, I saw a red apple, and you showed me another red apple and said it was much better.

I'm also double-curious why people still think any laptop I'm thinking about buying is crap for PCSX2, when I can go on the youtubes to find videos of games like Final Fantasy 10 or 12 running at full speed on a laptop from a year or more ago on an older version of PCSX2. So I don't know what I'm supposed to think or learn about when it comes to these kind of things.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6834310661

I resuggest this one from Mike or there is one on the lenovo site if you prefer blu-ray over higher the higher res screen. And there is one reason that lenovo blows your's out of the water. The videocard. this tells you basically all you need to know. The 710m is just a rebranded 620M which puts the lenovo over twice as fast for gaming purposes.

[Image: 600m-lineup.png]
(02-09-2013, 07:25 AM)chocolina Wrote: The PS2 emulation is the driving force of my laptop ambition, however in actuality, I'm really only going to use laptop for gaming less than 1% of the time. In the 7 years I've had my current computer, the only real gaming I've done on PC was Beyond Good and Evil, Plants Vs Zombies, Final Fantasy VIII PC, and Final Fantasy IX on an emulator and I quit at disk three. 7 years and thats all I've gamed, just goes to show you how little I'll actually use PCSX2.

I'm not denying that your judgement is better than mine. Its just that I'm reading over the specs on both and see no significant difference that makes the one I was looking at qualified to be considered crap. Mind you I was only looking at the one because thats all Amazon's filters would show to me,

I'm just curious to find your reasoning on what is and isn't crap, because in my eyes, I saw a red apple, and you showed me another red apple and said it was much better.

I'm also double-curious why people still think any laptop I'm thinking about buying is crap for PCSX2, when I can go on the youtubes to find videos of games like Final Fantasy 10 or 12 running at full speed on a laptop from a year or more ago on an older version of PCSX2. So I don't know what I'm supposed to think or learn about when it comes to these kind of things.

1 - gtx 660 vs gt635 is a really big difference
2 - ff 10 and 12 are really light games and game be played almost on nany system. so not really a good comparison there.
(02-09-2013, 08:16 AM)dralor Wrote: [Image: 600m-lineup.png]

You know, these charts are never fair. They always exclude the GDDR5 version of the 650M because the first version was GDDR3. And apparently for that card in particular, it makes a massive difference.
(02-09-2013, 11:55 AM)AKNova7 Wrote: You know, these charts are never fair. They always exclude the GDDR5 version of the 650M because the first version was GDDR3. And apparently for that card in particular, it makes a massive difference.

depent on what resolution, you can have gddr5 memory but if the test is on 1280x720 it wont have that much of an impact really.
Trying to run pcsx2 on my Alienware M14x R2
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2,40 GHZ
Nvidia GT 650M
8GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Running PCSX2 1.0.0
Here are some screenshots with some of my configurations,ask me if you need any other information.

I'm having some issues playing Persona 3 FES where at times the sound slows down and fps drops.
To sum it up,i'm having some performance issues.
Is my laptop able to run pcsx2 at a solid 60 fps?
Also would appreciate some suggestions regarding configuration and speedhack tweaks that could help me.
Thanks in advance.

P.S.
Also getting an error when I open the plugin menu
Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.0.0\Plugins\gsdx32-avx-r5350.dll
File is not a valid dynamic library.
Some kinda plugin failure: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.0.0\Plugins\gsdx32-avx-r5350.dll
(02-12-2013, 12:20 AM)ccplz Wrote: Trying to run pcsx2 on my Alienware M14x R2
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2,40 GHZ
Nvidia GT 650M
8GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Running PCSX2 1.0.0

I'm having some issues playing Persona 3 FES where at times the sound slows down and fps drops.
Is my laptop able to run pcsx2 at a solid 60 fps?

I would suggest downloading the most recent SVN Revision of PCSX2 because there have been many changes since the 1.0.0 was released which gives better game compatibility and fixes. Download it here: http://pcsx2.net/download/development/svn.html

Then go into emulation settings and use the preset 2 - Safe (faster).
Also since you are using an i7 quad core you will get a good FPS increase by using the speedhack MTVU which can be enabled/disabled while using presets. MTVU may not allow some games to work, out of the 50 main games I play only about 4 will not work with it enabled.

Now for your graphics card, this is what's doing most of the work so here is something that will give you a great FPS boost in PCSX2 as well as all games you play on your laptop. Use MSI Afterburner!
I have a Nvidia GTX 670M and by using MSI Afterburner I am able to overclock my graphics card just by using simple sliders which boost the cards core clock speed, shadow clock speed as well as it's memory click speed. This is a very simple and safe way to get a much better FPS out of your graphics card.
When using the sliders to come up with a good max value on your cards clock speeds I suggest using these values for your card:
Core Clock: 680
Shader Clock: 1360
Memory Clock: 1600

That is what most companies/laptop resellers would use if you paid for GPU overclocking on your card and they also use MSI Afterburner.

If you want to go beyond these settings as I do then slowly make increases to them and play some normal PC games or PCSX2 and if you see added artifacts in the games which is when extra game data of renders/textures are thrown at you or if the games just randomly crash then you found the cards limit and then you know the most you can set the values to.

MSI Afterburner is free so check it out:
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

And one last thing, you may be having a lot of extra junk like applications, processes, and services running in the background of your computer. When you are playing games it is best to optimize your computer so that it is more like a full out game system and is putting all its power and resources into the game you are playing. To do this use Razer Game Booster which was also called IObit Game Booster 3 and had over 100 million downloads. This thing will put all unneeded applications, processes and services on pause while you are playing games and literally puts your computer in game console mode.

This is also free:
http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster

Hope these tips can help keep you at 60 FPS!
I am able to play most games at 1280x720 with a solid 60 FPS with small drops from time to time on my laptop so best of luck.
Sager NP9130 / Clevo P151EM1 - Laptop
-15.6" FHD 95% NTSC Color Gamut Matte-Type
-Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM (2.3GHz - 3.3GHz)
-nVIDIA® GeForce GTX 670M (1.5GB GDDR5)
-16GB 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory
-240GB Intel 520 Series Solid State Drive

Background:
Associate of Applied Science Degree in Computer Networking
CompTIA Strata
CompTIA A+
CompTIA Network+
(02-12-2013, 01:52 AM)Shinway Wrote: I would suggest downloading the most recent SVN Revision of PCSX2 because there have been many changes since the 1.0.0 was released which gives better game compatibility and fixes. Download it here: http://pcsx2.net/download/development/svn.html

Then go into emulation settings and use the preset 2 - Safe (faster).
Also since you are using an i7 quad core you will get a good FPS increase by using the speedhack MTVU which can be enabled/disabled while using presets. MTVU may not allow some games to work, out of the 50 main games I play only about 4 will not work with it enabled.

Now for your graphics card, this is what's doing most of the work so here is something that will give you a great FPS boost in PCSX2 as well as all games you play on your laptop. Use MSI Afterburner!
I have a Nvidia GTX 670M and by using MSI Afterburner I am able to overclock my graphics card just by using simple sliders which boost the cards core clock speed, shadow clock speed as well as it's memory click speed. This is a very simple and safe way to get a much better FPS out of your graphics card.
When using the sliders to come up with a good max value on your cards clock speeds I suggest using these values for your card:
Core Clock: 680
Shader Clock: 1360
Memory Clock: 1600

That is what most companies/laptop resellers would use if you paid for GPU overclocking on your card and they also use MSI Afterburner.

If you want to go beyond these settings as I do then slowly make increases to them and play some normal PC games or PCSX2 and if you see added artifacts in the games which is when extra game data of renders/textures are thrown at you or if the games just randomly crash then you found the cards limit and then you know the most you can set the values to.

MSI Afterburner is free so check it out:
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

And one last thing, you may be having a lot of extra junk like applications, processes, and services running in the background of your computer. When you are playing games it is best to optimize your computer so that it is more like a full out game system and is putting all its power and resources into the game you are playing. To do this use Razer Game Booster which was also called IObit Game Booster 3 and had over 100 million downloads. This thing will put all unneeded applications, processes and services on pause while you are playing games and literally puts your computer in game console mode.

This is also free:
http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster

Hope these tips can help keep you at 60 FPS!
I am able to play most games at 1280x720 with a solid 60 FPS with small drops from time to time on my laptop so best of luck.

lol dont give him bad advice, that you would burn through your laptop doesnt mean he wants too (overclocking on laptops WILL shorten lifespan by alot because of the extra powerdraw)

@ccplz

that laptop should easely play p3

use reccomended speedhacks and set EEcycle rate to 2 and enable mtvu hack
go into the graphics settings and set the internal resolution to 2x.

that should solve your speed problems.
Thanks for the help,managed to solve the issue,think the trick was in updating to the latest version and enabling mtvu.