Read first: Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?
Hi there, this is my first post here Smile
I'm planning on building a new rig:
CPU : Intel Core I7-4770(Haswell) -3.4ghz
Graphic card : MSI GTX 660 TWIN FROZR III - 2GB
RAM : 8 GB

Can this rig run all the famous PS2 games at full speed ? (Final fantasy, Fatal Frame, Metal Gear Solid, Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, God of War, Star Ocean, Shadow Heart...and other games I can't remember them all).
Will I have to do some overclocking ? (I have no knowledge on overclocking) Or should I wait for a little more time for new hardware to be out on the market ?

Sponsored links

(08-26-2013, 12:50 PM)ILSATS Wrote: Hi there, this is my first post here Smile

Can this rig run all the famous PS2 games at full speed ? (Final fantasy, Fatal Frame, Metal Gear Solid, Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, God of War, Star Ocean, Shadow Heart...and other games I can't remember them all).
Will I have to do some overclocking ? (I have no knowledge on overclocking) Or should I wait for a little more time for new hardware to be out on the market ?

obviously ,why not the rig you select is nic your rig handle almost all games of ps2 :-)
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1  
(08-26-2013, 12:50 PM)ILSATS Wrote: Hi there, this is my first post here Smile

"famous" is a relative term, so I won't get into specifics. The vast majority of compatible titles will work full speed on that rig without speed hacks. A select few will require speed hacks.

Overall it's a "perfect" system for PCSX2. Speed hacks, as always, would be helpful to prevent relying on speed hacks and to get the last couple of games running full speed. Their will of course be games unplayable no matter what system you have due to compatibility issues and slowdowns that are inherent to emulation a system such as the PS2.
Thanks for the reply !
What if I change the CPU to i5-4670k or Xeon E3-1230 V3 ? I may need to lower my budget
I'm buying a new laptop and atm it could have either i5-3230m @2.60GHz 3MB or an i5-3340M @2.70 GHz 3MB. The price difference between them is £42 (around $60-$65).

Would this boost performance in any noticable way or would it be negligible? The main games I'm looking to run are FFX, FFXII, Kingdom Hearts I and II, R&c games (I understand these may not work properly), Crash Nitro Kart, Rayman 3 and San Andreas.

The GPU it will have is the GT 650M with 2GB DDR3
RAM is 4GB, it could be upgraded to 8GB, but as I understand this won't make a difference with PCSX2.

Any insight would be appreciated Smile
(08-28-2013, 07:51 PM)Hiz_95 Wrote: I'm buying a new laptop and atm it could have either i5-3230m @2.60GHz 3MB or an i5-3340M @2.70 GHz 3MB. The price difference between them is £42 (around $60-$65).

Would this boost performance in any noticable way or would it be negligible? The main games I'm looking to run are FFX, FFXII, Kingdom Hearts I and II, R&c games (I understand these may not work properly), Crash Nitro Kart, Rayman 3 and San Andreas.

The GPU it will have is the GT 650M with 2GB DDR3
RAM is 4GB, it could be upgraded to 8GB, but as I understand this won't make a difference with PCSX2.

Any insight would be appreciated Smile

i5 3340m is nic. And which game you are wishing to play is playeble on this in good manner. :-)
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1  
(08-28-2013, 07:56 PM)Brock lessner Wrote: i5 3340m is nic. And which game you are wishing to play is playeble on this in good manner. :-)

So you think that I would notice the difference between that and the i5-3230M or is it barely noticable?
(08-28-2013, 08:09 PM)Hiz_95 Wrote: So you think that I would notice the difference between that and the i5-3230M or is it barely noticable?

barely noticable in my oponion. But its better to read other user oponion to.
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1  
(08-28-2013, 08:12 PM)Brock lessner Wrote: barely noticable in my oponion. But its better to read other user oponion to.

Okay, thanks for your input Smile
(08-28-2013, 07:51 PM)Hiz_95 Wrote: I'm buying a new laptop and atm it could have either i5-3230m @2.60GHz 3MB or an i5-3340M @2.70 GHz 3MB. The price difference between them is £42 (around $60-$65).

PCSX2 is very CPU dependent, and the difference between speeds on the same architecture scale almost perfectly.

That is, 100mhz difference between the two is a little less than 4%. The 3340M can pretty safely be said to be about 4% faster than the 3230M.

That said, the maximum boost mode is 3.2 versus 3.4ghz, which brings the maximum total different to a little over 6%. So between 4-6% would be the average gain on the faster processor.

In real world scenarios, that means if you're averaging 40fps in a game, you'd gain about 2fps. But if you're averaging 55fps (just below full speed) you'd net about 3fps pushing you almost to full speed at 58fps.

So yeah, not a huge difference Wink