Read first: Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?
Yeah I understand what you mean.

Essentially my first point is trying to determine what are the minimum specs I need to get SSX/Burnout/NBA Street at 1080p, AA at solid speed, along with Dolphin (not fussed on any particular games there). Native PC games not fussed, demanding games like MGS/GT4/SOTC,GOW not fussed.

Seems like targeting a minimum processor STR of 2000+, preferably 2200+ would satisfy speed requirements for the games I'm looking at. Then for internal res for 1080p you mention 1050ti/960 will do the trick. Many thanks!

I may be able to get a 2GB R9 295 of a friend for a cheap price, which is around the GTX 760 level. Decent performance but am I better of with Nvidia since AMD and OpenGL don't play nice?

Sponsored links

(11-20-2018, 01:03 AM)scythefwd Wrote: the processor is a little on the light side .  We usually recommend 1600 for stp in passmark for pcsx2.. kind of a minimum performance spec.  The proc youre referencing scores a 1536.. a little on the light side.  The video card on the other hand is a solid choice.

Huh, go figure that the laptop performs better than the desktop in this case.  What a world.  I'm assuming it's to do with Piledriver being designed for parallel operations and thus sacrificing single-threaded muscle to optimize multithreaded tasks?

At any rate, any feedback on the Quadro in that ThinkPad?  I can plug it into a monitor or projector easily enough if it turns out that's the better system to run emulation.

Thanks!

EDIT: Any idea on whether PCSX2 will evolve to perform better on CPUs like the 8370 in the future? I understand writing multithreaded software is difficult, just curious as to whether efforts are underway to leverage multiple cores since it seems that's the way CPUs are headed.
Celtic - That's kind of amd's bag in all reality. My 6 month old 1950x is an equal match for 6 year old 3770 when it comes to single thread performance. It gets TROUNCED by some gen 8 i3's.. but it takes a 1500+ dollar processor to match it in multi core performance (where I only spent about 750 on it) from intel. They just specialize in different things. Honestly, I'd love to see AMD break into the server market with a real share of virtualization hosts on it some day.. I feel they're a better proc for it vs. the xeons.

I have no feedback on the quadro.

The issue, as I understand it, is the way the ps2 functions internally makes it extremely difficult to split the threads up.. the locks and timing required gets to be pretty insane. For that reason, the different modules of the ps2 get emulated in their own threads.. If you look at stuff with the ps3.. well it's whole system was designed around a multi core base from the ground up.
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case
That explains why RPCS3 took off so fast and why the PS2 plays so poorly with modern procs. I knew the "Cell" was supossed to be massively parallel but didn't really read into it that much since I wasn't in the market for a new console when PS3 was released.

As for virtual hosts, I have a gen-6 DL385 in my basement running Opterons - it definitely cooks and I recall other Opteron-based servers fetching a very competitive price versus the Xeons when I was scouting aftermarket servers for my lab. Come to think of it, I recovered a lot of off-lease PCs from the recycle pile during a brief stint at an MSP - maybe some of those with i5s or i7s would be better playgrounds for this.
Reposting cause I'm a bit confused. With this new laptop I'd to run Gran Turismo 3 and 4 at 60 FPS, preferably at least at 2 or 3x native with 2/4x anisotropic filtering. If yes, could the settings go higher? If not how much lower should it be? Can anyone help?
CPU: i5-8400 2.8Ghz Hexacore
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060M 6GB
RAM:16GB
Also a friend wants to know if his laptop can run GT3 or 4:
Specs
CPU:i5-7200U at 2.4 GHz, turbo to 3 iirc
Graphics: Intel HD 620
RAM: 8GB
If not his other better laptop might do well:
CPU: i5-6200U (I don't know clock speeds. Sorry.)
Graphics: Nvidia 940MX 2GB
RAM: 8GB
Both will struggle. The processors are on the anemic side of stp for pcsx.. The 7200u is about 1725, but i speak as an owner of a 7200u powered laptop.. it even struggles with lighter games like ffx. The 6200u is under 1500 for stp.. and just not up to it. Thats before thermal throttling happens
nzxt 340 case
Hi. I know I have a weak PC, but I only want to play one specific game, which is Resident Evil Code Veronica X. AFAIK, is not too demanding but I wonder if I'll be able to play it at least at a decently playable speed.

CPU Intel Celeron G1820 @2.7 Ghz (Haswell)
GPU Nvidia GeForce GT 430 1 GB
6 GB DDR3 RAM

Thank you
(12-06-2018, 02:11 AM)ashrobb Wrote: Hi. I know I have a weak PC, but I only want to play one specific game, which is Resident Evil Code Veronica X. AFAIK, is not too demanding but I wonder if I'll be able to play it at least at a decently playable speed.

6 GB DDR3 RAM

Thank you

Your processors single thread performance is reported to be about 1575 on passmarks site.  Thats a bit on the light side for pcsx2.. for any game.
nzxt 340 case
(12-06-2018, 02:11 AM)ashrobb Wrote: Hi. I know I have a weak PC, but I only want to play one specific game, which is Resident Evil Code Veronica X. AFAIK, is not too demanding but I wonder if I'll be able to play it at least at a decently playable speed.

6 GB DDR3 RAM

Thank you

If you can find a copy of code veronica X being sold for Dreamcast (unless you already own it) then ReDream ( https://redream.io/ ) is substantially lighter to run.  There is a premium version but really only unlocks higher internal resolutions, which would not run great on your system anyways.  Also you do not need to dump a Dreamcast bios, it has an emulated one, but if you can it will make it slightly more compatible.

If you want playable speeds, then besides just using your PS2, this is going to be your best option.