then test it
then for testing another mode
press esc key on keyboard
again go to audio plugin setting
choose another mode u want to test
then resume the game from system tab
test u'r game
do this again & again with different modes Smile
Most games for PS2 only support Dolby Pro Logic II. You must enable it in option menu of the game you want to play. But not every game supports it. If so, you need to turn on Dolby Pro Logic II on your receiver. Even than you will probably be restricted to only 5.1 sound, but I'm not sure about that.
I know that MGS2 and DMC3 support Dolby Digital 5.1. MGS2 has limited support of it (DD5.1 only works in intro cutscene and during one of the last cutscenes in the game). DMC3 DD5.1 works in all cutscenes but gameplay is restricted to DPLII. Also I've read that SSX2 supports DTS sound.

Of course you also need to enable support of multichannel sound in SPU2 settings and in your OS. Oh and you "probably" need to enable Digital Out in PS2 BIOS.
(07-01-2013, 05:40 PM)Starhowl Wrote: By a small margin? Really don't want to play through nearly the whole game just to have a crash all of a sudden not being able to finish it..

Furthermore, I already checked that it's set to 7.1 like in the picture, but my receiver box doesn't show any kind of multi-channel signal? Which games do support surround so I could test it quickly?

Quite a few games have native surround support (as native video aspect rate support as well) like "Star Ocean Till end of Times", for example (and you may even love this game since you seems to like futuristic RPG).

For the others the surround is still useful to fill all the loudspeakers where you'd have sound only at the frontal.

For general purposes, your soundcard driver should have CMMS 3D which performs that surround distribution from stereo sources (some cards might be intelligent enough to identify the source and apply CMMS 3D as needed).

Coming back to earth, Xenosaga does not have that surround support natively so you are restrict to stereo/mono on it's option menu.
Imagination is where we are truly real
If Windows is set to 7.1 it should say LPCM 7.1 on the AVR. You're not going to get a Dolby/DTS light if that's what you're looking for.