Yes, you can speed up your toaster
So, you have a slow craptop and you can't afford a new one.Well, this quick guide may help you to increase the performance your pc.

Note:these steps will not make your pc fly as a high-end machine but they will improve the overall performance of your laptop/pc , and basically this guide is just for toasters...(in the pcsx2 side this guide can boost it up to 10 frames, it doesn't sound like much but for toasters it makes a difference)

1-Disk Cleanup
when opening local disk C's properties you will find a utility called "disk cleanup", it'll basically clean out cashe and junk files from your pc, which helps in speeding it up a little, but make to check every box when it  prompts you with the files you need to delete.

2-Deleting temporary files
press windows key+run to open a small window called "run", type %temp% and click browse to open the temp files folder, delete everything in this folder (be ware that some files you cannot delete and it's ok just skip them). This step also provides some speedup to your machine.

3-Boost the performance through the power settings
if you run the latest version of windows 10 you'd just find it when clicking on the battery icon in the taskbar, and boosting the performance by just moving the cursor. Otherwise just right click the battery icon and hit "power options", you will see to options, the balanced power plan and the best performance one, select the best performance option.This step really boosts your pc's performance!

4-Adjusting the appearance and performance of windows
this option is only for win8 and 10, just type "adjust" in the settings menu search bar and it will show to you, when you open this menu you will see a couple of options, just select "adjust for best performance". It'll basically disable visual effects for more raw performance...

5-(optional) CCleaner
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
Its a great utility that helps cleaning all the cashe and junk files from the system and the 3rd party programs, it also fixes registry issues, you can clean up your pc ever so often and it helps again in freshening up your pc with a little performance boost

6-(optional) Razer Cortex
https://www.razerzone.com/cortex
this is a program mad by the very well-known company called "Razer", when you install it will scan for the games installed on your pc and show them in its menu, and also you browse for custom programs on your choice...When you  launch your desired program from it it activates a specific power plan called "razer cortex power plan", adjusting the pc for the best performance possible, and also clearing every background process possible to free up RAM memory space just for your program of choice, I'm using this program currently and it really helped me out on some cases.

Thanks for your time! And I hope this guide helps you out on your way Biggrin
          (if it did there's a rate button underneath that you might consider Tongue )

01010010011010010110010001100001☯

Sponsored links

it doesn't help and most laptop has a factory-installed junked software that can firing up and eats your CPU usage and ram as well your laptop is aging....as simple as that just what happen to the recent news older iphone is slowing up.
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
Meh... Most of this is just cleaning the disk and removing cached files (which are there to speed up the PC, not slow it down!). I would've thought that cleaning the disk would have a minimal effect on emulation anyway considering emulation is mostly processor based. Registry cleaners are pointless, the registry is a complex hierarchy that can manage itself and shouldn't be touched in the first place.

You either have a system powerful enough to emulate well or you don't... It's that simple folks.
Intel i5 4460 @ 3.20 GHz,
GTX 1050 Ti,
8GB RAM,
And some other gubbins that make things work.
(12-31-2017, 01:03 AM)Kian Stevens Wrote: Meh... Most of this is just cleaning the disk and removing cached files (which are there to speed up the PC, not slow it down!). I would've thought that cleaning the disk would have a minimal effect on emulation anyway considering emulation is mostly processor based. Registry cleaners are pointless, the registry is a complex hierarchy that can manage itself and shouldn't be touched in the first place.

You either have a system powerful enough to emulate well or you don't... It's that simple folks.

i mentioned that cleaning junk files have minimal effect on pc, just freshening it, and that CCleaner utility you're saying that it's just a process it helps at cleaning such files,plus I mentioned that it's optional what you said doesn't really matter, but you aren't gonna tell me that changing the power plan and disabling visual effects doesn't impact the performance at all....if you want to boost the performance you can just overclock your cpu and gpu and eventually fry them. I was going on the software safe side and i know that doesn't impact as a much as overclocking does but let me tell you something, my laptop is an obvious toaster and when i tried to emulate crash nitro kart on pcsx2 i was getting very bad framerates, but I swear when i followed such stuff my performance bumped up effectively, this was my experience and i shared it through a guide all what i mentioned above i done it on my pc..
and btw i wrote the note in red for the likes of you to notice it!
Note:these steps will not make your pc fly as a high-end machine but they will improve the overall performance of your laptop/pc , and basically this guide is just for toasters...(in the pcsx2 side this guide can boost it up to 10 frames, it doesn't sound like much but for toasters it makes a difference)

if you have a problem in your eyesight that's not my fault Tongue

But all I'm saying is don't expect miracles if you have underpowered performance; your mileage may vary with the stuff you mentioned.

The only truly useful step in your guide is the third one. The rest are trivial (especially the one for Razer... Seriously, does anyone use that anymore? It's like an even worse GeForce Experience Tongue)
Lastly, I really hope you were being sarcastic with the part where you mentioned overclocking your system, else you'd heavily contradict this post where you frown upon just advising people to overclock.

P.S. I wear glasses and need to renew my prescription.
GTX 1050 Ti,
8GB RAM,
(12-31-2017, 12:55 AM)smartstrike Wrote: it doesn't help and most laptop has a factory-installed junked software that can firing up and eats your CPU usage and ram as well your laptop is aging....as simple as that just what happen to the recent news older iphone is slowing up.

By referring to what apple said, older iphones will of course have a worse battery life with aging, so this old iphone eventually dies at 20 to 30 percent of battery, so they've been trying to avoid this by underclocking the "A" chips in such iphones, allowing for less voltage to pass and improving the battery life,eventually slowing down your iphone...but for me personally, I don't buy it, I mean they've undergone such process secretly and waited for a guy to discover it through a geekbench benchmarks, and that was completely inappropriate, so they apologized and made sales on batteries for everyone to repair( I felt that everything was intended just to make sales on batteries and eventually squeezing out more money from the customers' wallets, and brilliantly regaining their trust)

(12-31-2017, 02:25 AM)Kian Stevens Wrote: But all I'm saying is don't expect miracles if you have underpowered performance; your mileage may vary with the stuff you mentioned.

The only truly useful step in your guide is the third one. The rest are trivial (especially the one for Razer... Seriously, does anyone use that anymore? It's like an even worse GeForce Experience Tongue)
Lastly, I really hope you were being sarcastic with the part where you mentioned overclocking your system, else you'd heavily contradict this post where you frown upon just advising people to overclock.

P.S. I wear glasses and need to renew my prescription.

I'm not against it but  uhhhhhhh, it needs excessive cooling which are only found on expensive pc's and no one wants to overclock his pc but a toaster owner, and this toaster has no such great thermals so the user would toast it even more, I've been trying to explain this ALOT, i mean ALOT but no one got me....and it's not a recommendation, it's a...(how do i put this) a bit aggressive suggestion? and that's why I'm against "recommendation"cz it's not

Quote: the registry is a complex hierarchy that can manage itself and shouldn't be touched in the first place.

I take it you're not in the IT administration field as a profession. I'm frequently going in and ripping out remnants of software (java usually) that trips up my security scanners by showing an old version is still installed because the upgrader or uninstall package didn't clean up the registry. In theory, yes, it should be mostly self managed (we'll ignore most local and group policy is actually just reg hacks done from a gui).. in practice, there are some shoddy coders out there who half-a the uninstalls.
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case
(12-31-2017, 02:25 AM)X_Grave_X Wrote: By referring to what apple said, older iphones will of course have a worse battery life with aging, so this old iphone eventually dies at 20 to 30 percent of battery, so they've been trying to avoid this by underclocking the "A" chips in such iphones, allowing for less voltage to pass and improving the battery life,eventually slowing down your iphone...but for me personally, I don't buy it, I mean they've undergone such process secretly and waited for a guy to discover it through a geekbench benchmarks, and that was completely inappropriate, so they apologized and made sales on batteries for everyone to repair( I felt that everything was intended just to make sales on batteries and eventually squeezing out more money from the customers' wallets, and brilliantly regaining their trust)

Smartstrike was talking about semantics. S/he doesn't literally mean that laptops are also victims of Apple's plan. S/he's just saying that ageing machines will have poorer performance. 
Apple underclock older phones to increase battery life, great. They didn't do it as a sneaky little secret just for somebody to discover it. They did it for a reason and I agree with their logic. They could've easily made much more money on killing off old phones and forcing people to buy the newest ones, but they didn't. Good move, Apple.
As software becomes increasingly more resource intensive, older hardware just starts to become less effective. Coming back to Smartstrike's comment... Ageing machines do have poorer performance and one example is with Apple.
GTX 1050 Ti,
8GB RAM,
(12-31-2017, 02:36 AM)scythefwd Wrote: I take it you're not in the IT administration field as a profession.  I'm frequently going in and ripping out remnants of software (java usually) that trips up my security scanners by showing an old version is still installed because the upgrader or uninstall package didn't clean up the registry.  In theory, yes, it should be mostly self managed (we'll ignore most local and group policy is actually just reg hacks done from a gui).. in practice, there are some shoddy coders out there who half-a the uninstalls.

You're right, I'm not an IT admin Laugh
I've fell for these registry cleaners in the past that insist on increasing system performance but don't really do anything at all. Legitimate registry cleaning probably does have its benefits but they aren't relevant to me. Then again, this is a conversation with an IT admin, not just your average Joe wanting to play some PS2 games.
GTX 1050 Ti,
8GB RAM,