a new idea for pcsx2 creators
hi,

there is a new standard called open cl its functionality is to able the pc to use the graphic card processor unit as a cpu...thats should be nice for pcsx2 i guess

Sponsored links

It is nice but the question is how much effort it takes to use it for PCSX2 and furthermore will PCSX2 really profit from it?
I am sorry to tell you, open cl is useless, more or less like cuda.

Those technologies are mainly useful when you have many, many threads which then can be offloaded to the gpu. Pcsx2 uses just 2 threads. We hope to increase it someday, but even if we manage to do it, it will go to 3 or 4 threads. You'd be much better served by a simple quad core processor, if we manage to do that conversion.
Having quad core support would be nice, can't wait for it to be implemented / converted in the near future.
CPU : Intel Core i5 750 | GFX : GeForce GTS 250 1GB | Sound : Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
RAM : Kingsston 4 GB DDR3 | Casing : CM HAF 922 | OS : Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Quad Core support wouldn't be nice, because it needs a complete rewriting of pcsx2 and it would give only a 5/10% boost -if you are lucky-
Not sure how many % increase in speed we'll get, but a speed boost sure is welcome.

Don't you agree???
CPU : Intel Core i5 750 | GFX : GeForce GTS 250 1GB | Sound : Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
RAM : Kingsston 4 GB DDR3 | Casing : CM HAF 922 | OS : Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
it depends as you can see that still many PC Games don't get any boost from a quadcore and I don't think developers ignore multi-threading it is just not easily implemented.

Besides to me PCSX2 doesn't seem to be limited by threads but by calculation speed. By increasing clock speeds you gain a lot of performance.
(12-29-2008, 03:14 PM)mewster Wrote: Quad Core support wouldn't be nice, because it needs a complete rewriting of pcsx2 and it would give only a 5/10% boost -if you are lucky-

after enabling dual core mode, my speed went up TWICE as much.. so obviously more threads do help a lot.. iono where u came up with 5-10%...
[Image: a0iic2.png]
Vista Home Premium 64-bit | E8500 @4.2GHz (526x8) ~1.30V
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P | 4Gb 1066mhz Corsair XMS2
Radeon HD 4850 OC 10% | 1.14TB (640+500gb) WDC
Antec Nine Hundred | Antec Earthwatts 500w
Obviously that improper 3 or 4-threaded mode made pcsx2 crush every even minute. And speed gained by it would not be such helpful, as somebody dream. The main question is: what functionality could be isolated in distinct thread without multiply weirdness.
(12-29-2008, 06:09 PM)Zeydlitz Wrote: Obviously that improper 3 or 4-threaded mode made pcsx2 crush every even minute. And speed gained by it would not be such helpful, as somebody dream. The main question is: what functionality could be isolated in distinct thread without multiply weirdness.

It has not even been implemented yet and you're saying that 3 or 4 threaded mode crash PCSX2 every minute or so?