how to use saved states from older pcsx versions with version 1.0?
i have many saved states and backed up saved states for god of war 2 from pcsx version 0.98 and i would like to use them with the newer version of pcsx 1.0. The problem is the saved states don't load at all. Everything was working flawlessly with 0.98 but when i got to the bog of he forgotten it always got stuck saying loading and never loaded. Others recommended using a newer version of pcsx, which at the time i tried several including betas and alphas,but none would accept or load the saved states from the 0.98 version which i thought was stupid. I tried renaming them to match fresh saved states made with the newer versions of pcsx but still got the error not compatible with older saved state from previous version. Now i have just downloaded and configured version 1.0 and was praying that it would load my saved states from before with hoes of it loading past the bog of the forgotten but i cant get them to load still. Why the hell isnt a newer version of the same software compatible with older saved state information??????
I can at least load form the memory card form the last time i saved at a checkpoint from within the game,i think the steeds part but i was way farther and don't want to have to go past that part again. So can anyone either tell me how to convert the saved states from the previous pcsx 0.98 to work with version 1.0 or does anyone have a saved game file in the pcsx format that is at the bog of the forgotten or slightly past it that will load with this latest version of pcsx??? Thank you very much for reading my post and helping me out !

Sponsored links

nevermind i just read this post about the same problem i am having. however when i load the old working saved states just bfore it freezes at the bog of the forgotten i cant go to a previous checkpoint without that loading screen hanging or go forwards without that loading screen hanging so i guess im screwed. damn!

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-How-to-tr...CSX2-1-0-0

my only hope now would be if someone anyone has a pcsx saved state file from version 1.0 or a memory card saved game just before of after the bog of the forgotten but not 100% complete bc that is retarded to load a game that is already complete and unlocked. i want to do it on my own with my own customization for he weapons and such.
well save states are all version dependent so in other words, if you had a save state from let's say 0.9.8 you can't use it in 1.0.0. Always make sure that you use normal saving instead of save states as much as possible, it may break your game or even ruin your savegame.
(12-24-2013, 10:57 AM)acuraice Wrote: i have many saved states and backed up saved states for god of war 2 from pcsx version 0.98 and i would like to use them with the newer version of pcsx 1.0. The problem is the saved states don't load at all. Everything was working flawlessly with 0.98 but when i got to the bog of he forgotten it always got stuck saying loading and never loaded. Others recommended using a newer version of pcsx, which at the time i tried several including betas and alphas,but none would accept or load the saved states from the 0.98 version which i thought was stupid. I tried renaming them to match fresh saved states made with the newer versions of pcsx but still got the error not compatible with older saved state from previous version. Now i have just downloaded and configured version 1.0 and was praying that it would load my saved states from before with hoes of it loading past the bog of the forgotten but i cant get them to load still. Why the hell isnt a newer version of the same software compatible with older saved state information??????
I can at least load form the memory card form the last time i saved at a checkpoint from within the game,i think the steeds part but i was way farther and don't want to have to go past that part again. So can anyone either tell me how to convert the saved states from the previous pcsx 0.98 to work with version 1.0 or does anyone have a saved game file in the pcsx format that is at the bog of the forgotten or slightly past it that will load with this latest version of pcsx??? Thank you very much for reading my post and helping me out !

Savestates are roughly a memory dump of the game state. When the code that makes up the emulator changes, that pile of data dumped also changes, and savestates taken at the exact same time will be different. That is also why you can't expect them to be compatible between different emulator versions.
If you still don't understand, think that 0.98 painted a canvas blue while 1.0 painted it green with red spots. Both "artists" would disagree with the product of each other and refuse to accept it.
Plus SS are horrible for this emulator. You can't rely on them at all. They often get corrupted and unusable. Hell with the most current version I have for the emulator. If I use SS (save states) and then exit the game it will say that they will be deleted upon exiting. So save the game normally. Always rely on normal saves. That's if you care about your progress.
I5 3570k 3.4ghz| 4GB R9 290| 8GB DDR3
I have been using savestates pretty hardcore like for the last two months. The ONLY problem I had was one time where it failed to save, it threw up an error box:

[Image: save_zpsb340526d.png]

I saved again and it went fine.

I do make saves at every available save point though, and my final save of the session is memory card unless I'm leaving in a hurry. Rather have more saves of different types than I need than not having a working one!

To OP: Maybe you can get lucky and find an old version of PCSX2 from a member or somewhere online, load the state in that and then save out to memory card.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Let's understand sstates and where they are useful and how they must NOT be used. As already pointed, sstates are a snapshot of the emulation memory and so vulnerable to any change in the code (so they might be unreliable not only in between emulators major versions as may fail in between builds also).

Sstates must Not be used to keep long term saves, they are wonderful to keep quick saves like just before fights or any kind of decision take. The golden rule is "Make sure to make a normal save into memcard whenever possible". And yes, they are a bless in a hurry when you can't afford waiting to get to the nearest save point.

Besides, any error or data corruption introduced by the emulation itself or (most commonly) by cheat code attempts will be imprinted on the sstate and might accumulate with time. Is advisable to reload from memcard at least once and again and then making a fresh sstate so to make sure the save is the cleanest possible.

Notice the difference: In the sstate the game's data is recovered from previous memory state while the "memory card save" records only specific game's statistics and the reload reconstructs the game from the disc (ISO), meaning whatever memory corruption is automatically cleaned.

On the other hand, each game has it's own way to record data into the memcard, so there is no way to try something alike in sstate and so it must be the whole emulation memory status that needs to be saved. This is the answer to the question why sstates might fail in between versions and also says there is no other way to recover a game from it other than loading the same emulator's version it was saved, go to a save point and push the game's stage into memcard.

Remember you can have more than one version of PCSX2 installed, it's so small that does not weight much on hard disk space.

Edit: the repetition and hammering is to try and make clear the dangers of sstates are comprehended as much as it's bliss.

Edit 2: From the above becomes easy to understand why the game can only be saved in memcards at very specific points. More clearly, the game can reconstruct the position from the knowledge of that save point and the few dynamic parameters saved, no need to record the whole background into the memcard yet enough information to reconstruct the game from the disc.
Imagination is where we are truly real
put it this way i wasn't aware of the golden rule!! plus i hated how the in game save spots are so far and between whereas the save states can be saved anytime. i have never had any problems with using saved states on any emulators on both mac and windows, only with trying to get them to load in more recent versions of pcsx. thanky ou all for your help on his topic and trust me i have learned my lesson,consider this post closed/solved.
(12-24-2013, 09:10 PM)acuraice Wrote: put it this way i wasn't aware of the golden rule!! plus i hated how the in game save spots are so far and between whereas the save states can be saved anytime. i have never had any problems with using saved states on any emulators on both mac and windows, only with trying to get them to load in more recent versions of pcsx. thanky ou all for your help on his topic and trust me i have learned my lesson,consider this post closed/solved.

That's not true, almost all emulators had the same issue with sstates since they follow the same principle, then is because you probably didn't follow their intensive development phase.

PS: Understand I'm not saying it's a lie (yet a mistake), just than the issues with sstates arise almost always with major development changes, it's the same with PCSX2 as well, to the extent I can tell the sstates for v1.0 and later are compatible, just the 0.98 is an early major version. Anyway, better not relying on them to be secure in between versions or even builds on the same version if the changes are enough to affect the memory structure.
Imagination is where we are truly real
PPSSPP had the same thing with sstates not compatible between revisions. Henrik said recently that they are trying to make it so they are compatible from now forward though.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD