pcsx2 destroyed my laptop
What is your definition of "stressed"?

Keep in mind that what KrazyTrumpeter says about not being able to damage equipment is, in my experience, often wrong. I've seen more than my fair share of poorly designed "prefab" systems that:

* were built with poor air circulation that caused frequent overheating, which isn't healthy even with proper sensors.
* had undersized power supplies that too would overheat and/or fail to deliver sufficient consistent voltages (which is extremely unhealthy)
* came from the manufacturer with exceedingly high default sensor settings that weren't much better than just having the sensors disabled (because, I figure, the manuf. didn't want to have the performance of their machine look worse).

Dell managed to pull off ALL THREE of these foopahs on the same machine in fact, and worse yet it was a business machine. It wasn't even being marketed to gamers! The Dell Optiplex GX280 w/ 3.2ghz P4 runs nominally at 60-70C and 80+C under moderate load (hot enough that the exhaust from the case fan feels like it's burning your skin, and it'll stink a room with the smell of burning silicon). The 210w power supply is barely enough to power the CPU, let alone the rest of the machine. And the thing has no power or heat saving features, so it just keeps powering along until it blows up.

... which is why to this day you can find GX280s on refurb for ~$100-$150, and can by them by the dozen, because Dell sold a million of them in 2004, and then had to take them all back when they died after 3-5 months of running Excel in an air conditioned office building.

edit: Sure a properly designed system should be stable and safe, but that depends on the word "properly." Wink Most commonly I see other systems with undersized power supplies, and this is especially true of laptops, which tend to have stringent power restraints. So getting a high powered video card installed in a laptop can actually backfire on you, if you were under the impression that the card should be even more "resilient" to load. High powered GPUs need larger power sources, and few things cause hardware failures as quickly or efficiently as a failing power supply unit.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team

Sponsored links

Well if you know what it means to play intensively Oblivion with averege settings (and many oblivion.ini modifications) and a resolution of 1024x768 on a system made up of: single core 1,76ghz, RAM 1,5gb, graphic card ATI Radeon 9600/9700 128Mb, hard drive 45gb (more or less). Obviously you and I have a different perception of what "stresses" our systems, based on our experience and so on, but to me this hardware issue is hard to accept in comparison to what has done my previous Toshiba, that wasn't custom made. And to think that I paid them more or less the same price...
Just to be clear, the Werewolf that I made from customization was a compromise between price, power and purpose. A good laptop, nothing more nothing less. NOT a monster machine, all power without compromises, that's for sure. And that way will be my next one, 'cause for what I've read so far, probably I'll need to buy a new one...Wacko A "prefab" this time I think. Any suggestion?
...all that what you say Air is right, but I think that makers of hardware say in what condition that hardware should work, & companies that put together it often go to less pay better sell solution, & there comes our problem...

...I had a high performance laptop, it really rocked, but sold it, don't need mobile computer, so I have my desktop plus "much more" for money that I spend on laptop... & Gaming is much more fun on 24" full HD, surround sound and "much more"

...conclusion... don't buy what ever, don't buy cheap... everything has it's price...

Cheers...
AMD FX-8350
4x 4GB DDR3 2400MHz
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X
(09-14-2009, 06:16 PM)Air Wrote: Keep in mind that what KrazyTrumpeter says about not being able to damage equipment is, in my experience, often wrong. I've seen more than my fair share of poorly designed "prefab" systems that:

Oh that's cold. KrazyTrumpeter hasn't even posted in this thread Tongue

I completely agree, there are many sub-standard manufacturers that will cut corners that produce sub-standard machines. I tend to think of these as time-bombs rather than functioning machines, because in reality that's what they are.

Moral of the day? You get what you pay for, do your homework before purchasing a pre-built system, stress test for a day or two after you've bought it Laugh

e:
Quote:Any suggestion?
A good place for laptop reviews/shopping is Newegg.com . I trust reviews on there much more so than some random internet site, and represent a sampling that's probably heavily slanted towards techies and gamers. Sort by manufacturer and start reading Tongue it has yet to lead me astray.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
***** happens.
[Image: hah.jpg]
</3, Air. </3

I still stand by those statements, as long as you aren't buying totally cheap ass hardware.
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
I have a laptop and I haven't had any overheating or hardware problems at all with it. It is 2 years old Dell Inspiron 1705 laptop.

Of course down here where temperatures get over 100 degrees F in summer I don't play pcsx2 at all. If I do play it it is over at my parents house with powerful air conditioning and in the room where the air is constantly hitting the laptop.

Temperatures are starting to cool down outside now which is good timing as my roomate is starting to hog the tv a lot thus forcing me to play pcsx2 if I want to play PS2 games.
Yeah True those .exe's can damage if downloaded from an unreliable soruce like youtube, or all torrent sites or unofficial forums so just be careful i have like 20 PS2 games (dumped and borrowed from friendz) and they all work except PoP the two thrones, MGS2 and MGS3 (half of ma games are pal (can be bothered downloading it, it's better to dump em it only takes 5 mins) Smile) anyways be careful
[Image: ragnaroc444isroxast.png]
You guys are scaring me. Are you telling me that if I buy This Alienware M17x Laptop, and If I play lots of games on it, it won't last too long??

Also, how can you tell if a laptop is MXM?

Edit: now I'm depressed. But I'm still determined to buy a powerful laptop

Solutions

EDIT: bellunojin, I am glad you started this thread. I had no idea about all this. Unsure
Windows 7 - Asus G73jh-a1 - 17-720qm @ 1.6 GHz (2.8 GHz)(2.4ghz)(1.73ghz) - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 @ 700/1000 (sometimes oc to 800/1100) - 8 gig ram
Wait. Is my dell xps 1530 doomed too? It's a laptop too. Dx