..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Core i7 notebooks and pcsx2: SLOW
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
You're only setting how much threads(Cores) are used for booting there... nothing more....
(12-28-2009, 02:35 AM)yunsabit Wrote: [ -> ]You're only setting how much threads(Cores) are used for booting there... nothing more....

That's not true. You could even check cpu-z, or the task manager for proof.
Yes. I might have been wrong there. Tongue
Actually, as it turns out, that wasn't the issue at ALL with this notebook (and indeed, this entire thread may be considered null and void). As I've come to discover, there is a *serious* speed problem with the Dell XPS 1645 notebook and the Core i7 Clarksfield processor which mine was equipped with.

The problem, as it turned out, was two-fold: 1) Dell did not ship their notebooks with the 130-watt power supply necessary to power it effectively; and 2) the BIOS throttles the CPU speed down to FAR lower than maximum as it discovers the system does not have enough power to run higher. As I understand it, Dell has admitted the problem exists, and is working on a fix to their BIOS, though I have no idea whether they intend to ship new power supplies, nor do I care since I've already returned mine a month ago.

Here's the real kicker: I was charged over $300 in "restocking" fees since, at the time I sent it back, they could not determine that it was Dell's fault, despite being on the phone with them for hours. Now that Dell has admitted fault, AND it's all over the Net, I called Dell back for my credit. Any decent company would have immediately credited my card, but Dell has decided I still don't deserve the credit, and will not refund my money. Go figure THAT one out. I've always thought Dell's customer service was terrible, but this is thievery. They are the absolute worst in the business. I will never buy from Dell again, that's for sure.

For those curious to learn more about this issue, go here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=437800

It's a forum thread on this topic that's now over 100 pages longExcl.
Damn, that is some BS that Dell pulled.
Dell tech agents (L1 or maybe even L2) woudnt tell you firsthand that the problem is on their side....
Why would that be?

1. The guy/gal that you are talking to isnt that well versed technically or is just used to reading the Dell-supplied resources.

2. They have on good faith that all the parts are working in unison or as they should be (which is not, in your case).
(01-14-2010, 06:29 AM)mackoyski Wrote: [ -> ]Dell tech agents (L1 or maybe even L2) woudnt tell you firsthand that the problem is on their side....
Why would that be?

1. The guy/gal that you are talking to isnt that well versed technically or is just used to reading the Dell-supplied resources.

2. They have on good faith that all the parts are working in unison or as they should be (which is not, in your case).

So what recourse do I have, then? I can't get through to anyone over there. It takes at least an hour just to get to the L1 tech, let alone L2, and by that point they're hard pressed to forward you anywhere else.
1. Firstoff, the agressive c-states can be disabled through bios (the only legitimate way) or If you use that throttlestop app (what I'm guessing is that, that utility is meant to kill/stop c-states from working so that the cpu can go full-clocks). Looks like the Dell bios doesnt have those switches and they need to offer bios flashes to end users.

2. If (1) is solved, the lappy will pull out more amperage/wattage...and that is where the 130-w adapter will come into play. But it seems like Dell isnt willing to fix their shortcommings and ship 130w adapters. FYI, for every laptop that has to be replaced its adapter, Dell also needs to replace the motherboard of the laptop and you are going to have to send the lappy back for part replacement (without the hdd) if that is the scenario.

If you are not happy with dealing with the aforementioned , you may want to return the laptop ASAP and get your refund (I suggest that you go ballistic while on the phone as they have different steps in dealing with irate customers)
(01-14-2010, 07:15 AM)mackoyski Wrote: [ -> ]1. Firstoff, the agressive c-states can be disabled through bios (the only legitimate way) or If you use that throttlestop app (what I'm guessing is that, that utility is meant to kill/stop c-states from working so that the cpu can go full-clocks). Looks like the Dell bios doesnt have those switches and they need to offer bios flashes to end users.

2. If (1) is solved, the lappy will pull out more amperage/wattage...and that is where the 130-w adapter will come into play. But it seems like Dell isnt willing to fix their shortcommings and ship 130w adapters. FYI, for every laptop that has to be replaced its adapter, Dell also needs to replace the motherboard of the laptop and you are going to have to send the lappy back for part replacement (without the hdd) if that is the scenario.

If you are not happy with dealing with the aforementioned , you may want to return the laptop ASAP and get your refund (I suggest that you go ballistic while on the phone as they have different steps in dealing with irate customers)

If you read my post above a little closer, you'll see I returned the laptop about a month ago. Yes I went ballistic, and no it did absolutely nothing to effect any positive results on my behalf. I've emailed their so-called "unresolved issues" department but that was totally ignored (not even a "thanks for your email, we'll look into it"). So at this point as I see it, my only recourse is either to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau; or start/join a class action lawsuit against Dell. I'm sure the latter is coming either way - this is a huge deal and tons of people are pissed about it. Dell's "screw you" attitude and unprofessionalism, while totally in character for their company, is certainly not helping their cause. I was just one of the first to discover this issue unfortunately, so I had to bear the full brunt of the problem.

So what does all this mean for anyone reading this? I'm pretty sure the Core i7 notebook proc, whether its a Clarksfield or Arrandale, should run PCSX2 at a healthy speed as long as it isn't housed in a Dell Studio XPS 1645. Heck, even my old C2D laptop runs most games at 40-50fps.
Whoah! What a load of bull from dell! I hope you're able to get your money back. By the way, shoegazer, do you really need mobile power? Sometimes for the same money you can get a similar desktop along with a decent if not professional monitor.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11