..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Core i7 notebooks and pcsx2: SLOW
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Didnt get to read ALL pages in this topic yet but i wanted to toss some input into the topic.

First of all, if you havent already done so like other suggested right click your windows bar and go to task manager [or press cntrl alt delete] and fgot to your pcsx2 process and right click on it and set affinity to only 1 or 2 cores.

You have to think is the emu designed to take advantage of 4 cpus?
I have an i7 in my desktop which has 8 cpus and 16 toptal cores. and the emu runs hyper speeds compared to my dual core and quad core machines. dual core being a notebook.
And like you, im also running an ATI gfx card, sept mine is the 4850. now obviously a desktop will put more a.s.s into the emu compared to a laptop. but i dont see why you are/were having so much trouble. hell i didnt even know the i7 for notebooks was only a simple quad. i thought the i7 line was 8 cpus lmao. i need to read up huh....

You seem to be pretty computer literate which is good when it comes to emus. but also look into viruses. or a progam running in the background that is stealing all your a.s.s from the lappy.
As laptops are by default setup to SLOW the cpu dow when its not needed as much.
On all my laptops when running games or emus i go into POWER OPTIONS and setup the cpu to run at top mhz the WHOLE time. even make 2 profiles, one deafualt and one gaming. that always done the trick for me. this way the cpus dont drop at any time. the only down side to that is if you dont find a way to keep your laptop cool [fans etc] it can get too hot and burn up or begin to power off mid game due to heating issues.

Even if you just bought the machine. FORMAT IT. and DONT use the recovery dvds it may have came with. get a fresh copy f windows 7 64 bit. do not use 32, even microsoft said that lol. "buy" windows 7 64 bit, install and before connecting online, update drivers. [bassicly download them NOW and pop em on a disc or flash drive] then run the emu normal. if still giving slow resulkts then began to edit your cores etc. your machine is bangin for a laptop. even if you buy a different one you may have same results.
But i did wish to brag on my 8 cpu's/16 core i7 results lmao.

Good luck.

Intel i7 @ 2.8GHz [8 Physical/16 Cores]
3GB Ram @ 1,333MHz
ATi Radeon HD4850 1GB [2.2GB Total]
700GB HDD @ 7200 RPMs
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition
OK, thanks to OneHitGamer I decided to check my power options, and in it was a program called Power4Gear Hybrid, which, on the high setting, gave me an option to turn turbo mode or hyper turbo mode on. With hyper turbo mode on, it gave me a 5 fps boost to ToA running at a pretty much constant 70(which is to fast, it's like the game is sped up) and I tried playing Tekken at 1650 X and Y internal res and I could still get a good 60 fps, albeit with some slow downs. With frame limiter off, it's way to jumpy in this mode though, it can go from 60 up to 78, then down to 65.
(12-07-2009, 09:02 AM)OneHitGamer Wrote: [ -> ]But i did wish to brag on my 8 cpu's/16 core i7 results lmao.

Indeed, lmao!

[hint: i7's are quad-core CPUs, with 8 total "threads" via Hyperthreading. That's ONE (1) cpu, FOUR (4) cores, EIGHT (8) threads. There is an 8-core/16-thread Xeon server CPU, but it's certainly not easily mistaken for an i7]
Onehitgamer : Wow 8cpu?? 16core?? seems your special motherboard have very much sockets for those cpus buddy.
(12-07-2009, 08:51 AM)Ulundill Wrote: [ -> ]ok info in on tekken 4 with VERY suprising results. Same settup as before, most recent GSDX internal res at 1024 X and Y. Speed hacks were 2x cycle rate, All misc EE hacks, Satus flag hack and moderate cycle stealing for VU hacks.

Tekken 4 ran better than any of the other games I tested. I had frame limiter off just to see how high it could go. I was getting pretty much constant 75-80 fps, it was odd though, the first fight was 60-65, then after that it shot up to 75-80, i guess that was the cpu overclocking. Just a thought, I remember someone saying if the cpu gets to hot, it stops overclocking, im using a laptop fan, might that help?

Sorry for the late update, I couldn't get Tekken 4 until now.

Oh and I forgot to mention I was using Pcsx2 r2186 for Tekken 4.

Well, we really need to compare apples with apples here. My comparison was between two Dell Studio XPS 16 notebooks, identically configured except for WinVista/c2d vs. Win7/corei7. The result was, as you know from my previous reports, far short of flattering for the core i7. I noticed that in your case, yours is a dedicated "gaming" notebook, with faster RAM, a better graphics card (mine's an ATI 4670), etc. You may even have HT turned off, I'm guessing? Dell doesn't give me an option to turn it off, assinine as it is, so pcsx2 speeds suffer as a result. There are other tweaks your system may have in the name of performance.

My point is, as Jake and others in this thread have reinforced, the quad-core i7 mobile platform i.e. Clarksfield is frankly ***** for advanced emulators such as pcsx2, dolphin, MAME in some cases, etc. You're far better off sticking with a c2d, where at least the base clock speeds are cranked higher and don't waver with "turbo boost". Better yet: Intel's recent announcement that their dual-core core i7 (Arrandale) platform is scheduled for January and will actually feature clock speeds rivaling the c2d (contrary to what was previously known). So, another viable option appears to be around the corner, and as others are starting to hypothesize, it is indeed a better platform for 1-2 threaded apps i.e. pcsx2 than Clarksfield.

Time will tell.
Man, have you ever found a solution to that "jumping" clocks of your i7 lappy?
I think i have it backwards..
In my task manager shows 8 performance slots...and in programs, one being PCSX2, when it gives the cpu description at top when i run it, it says 16 cores.
so whatever does that mean? the hyperthreading thing maybe? so is it 1 cpu [physical] with 4 cores [quad] but cuzz hyperthreading, registers as 16 cores from the "virtual" cpus? becuase all my pc monitering progs says 8 cpus and 16 cores. ahh or is it 4 virtual cores on top of the 4 physical quads? but then where does this number 16 come in?
Either way, what is the benifit of having VIRTUAL? i rea dup on the ole P4 i have in older pc that has one phys and 2 virtual cpus and understood a little on it. but does any prog or game actually USE them?

EDIT: Ok, here we go now.. i just updated PCSX2 to a modded 2208 version. now here is what it is saying....lol seems 8 phys, 8 logical. guess thats where pcsx2 0.9.6 was getting 16.

x86-32 Init:
CPU vendor name = GenuineIntel
FamilyID = 4
x86Family = Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
CPU speed = 2.965 ghz
Cores = 8 physical [8 logical]
x86PType = Standard OEM
x86Flags = bfebfbff 0098e3bd
x86EFlags = 28100000

x86 Features Detected:
MMX.. SSE.. SSE2.. SSE3.. SSSE3.. SSE4.1.. SSE4.2
i dont see 16 there...
what i see is 8 which come from hyperthreading the quad core...
(12-08-2009, 05:31 PM)OneHitGamer Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: Ok, here we go now.. i just updated PCSX2 to a modded 2208 version. now here is what it is saying....lol seems 8 phys, 8 logical. guess thats where pcsx2 0.9.6 was getting 16.

PCSX2's core/thread count is unreliable. It's a best guess measurement based on a handful of CPUID reports. There's no especially easy way to know exact core/thread counts, since Intel, AMD, and friends choose different ways to report them and sometimes change their reporting in newer cpu models.

But it's easy enough to look up i7 specs on any website and see that it has 4 physical cores. Wink
Ahh ok. and i wasnt saying THAT version of PCSX2 said 16. i said 0.9.6 original did.

How come in windows it even reports 8 cpus? shouldnt it say only 4 if its quad? unless its reading the 4 virtual cpus as physical.
I know what i got, i just dont get why all these programs report 8 physical cpus and sometimes 16 cores.
Device manager drivers shows 8 cpu profiles and in task manager shows 8 cpu performance boxes. that means 4 physical cores on 1 physical cpu, and 4 virtual cores from hyper threading right? DXDIAG says 8 cpus as well. just was wondering if its 4 physical and 4 virtual or what.....
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11