..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: We are dropping x64 PCSX2 Playground builds!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
no it won't. keeping both is a bad idea because then we need to test out more versions. 32-bit works on both x64 and x86 so there is no reason to wait till later until the emu runs much better.

As i was told 64 bit will slow things down a bit in the way we need speed out of the emu.
Funny... 64bit is slated to be dropped... but the poll shows majority uses 64bit... way to castrate yourself isn't it? Tongue
Not? PCSX2 will still work in 64 bit systems.
Yes your focus makes sense, but why have a poll to estimate the OS of the majority playground users?
How does this affect what you are developing?
It's always good to know what kind of systems your user base has.It can help us take decisions like this one,or know how many people use Linux so we give more/less support to that front.
This topic scared me a little at first, as I built a $1,600 x64 bit computer for using PCSX2 (Though not primarily for it, but it was one big thing that made my final decision to get good parts...) , glad to hear it will still work with Windows.
(12-26-2008, 04:31 AM)Air Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-26-2008, 03:57 AM)John_E Wrote: [ -> ]Currently, Windows 7 have 32Bit builds, but unofficialy its expected to ship only as 64bit.

What that means is that Windows 7 will not be installable on 32-bit CPUs. It does not mean it can't run 32 bit applications.

Correct. And the 32Bit Windows subsystem will be available for long times. See how long Win16 was/is supported. Binary compatatibility is a big advantage of Windows.

I'm sure a 32Bit Windows 7 will be released. The widely used Intel Atom N270 does not support AMD64 instructions.
I'm all for it.

Drop the 64-bit build and concentrate on the 32-bit.
If only it will means updates and bug fixes will come out faster.

I'm using Windows Vista Business 64-bit but I didn't even know that a 64bit build existed.
I say drop 32bit and focus on 64bit+newest OS and its API only(and now u gonna kill me).
More people have 64bit os already and windows 7 WILL be kick ass.
It is suppose to be 64bit only so if they need 32bit version for some atom cpu maybe it will be some stripped/special version of os.
64 is a future and not so far away. I know 32bit runs on 64bit, but remember:
-it feels like it was just yesterday when we was running win98 and 3dfx voodoo == time is running quick
-even today, rare but still I wished some of my 16bit app/game would work under my windows server 2008 64bit
-even if 32bit runs generally good on 64bit today, in future it could be less compatible and more problematic - between os versions(look 32 vista vs 32 xp for example) - because some code change(16bit under win98 != 16bit under wxp+ in reliability)
-developers may have some time today but maybe not in 5+ years, then porting lot of code at once to 64 could be hell and maybe nobody will have time/skill
-better for linux users as well
-PS2 CPU: Emotion Engine 300MHz, 128-bit INT, 128-bit FP == maybe somebody actually will found advance of additional registers of x64 in future and will not need to consider 32bit builds.
-development of pcsx2 took many years and it takes some more to be good enough. In time when it will be considered finished like other good emus(visualboyadvance,zsnes/snes9x,nestopia,project64,epsxe...) will sure be 32bit quite obsolete. If they focus and thing for future in advance today, there will be less problems with future OS compatibility, less struggles for developers etc... More people seems to have 64bit os already today, others have no problem spending $ for new HW/system with major focus on pcsx2, they will all adapt 64 for sure. We are only risking possible problems in future with 32bit.

For example, pcsx2 stays 32bit and author of gsdx decide later that DX10+ give better results with performance and compatibility and drop DX9. U can install dx9 on vista but who knows future os's.. If 32bit would have problems with never systems than vista then it would mean users could ONLY use vista(with its dx10) for pcsx2. Considering W7 will be sure better OS and newer ones maybe too + many people hate vista then u just got 1 example.

I had programmed my file navigator in Borland c++ 6 some years ago for winXP. It worked without problems, now under server 2008 64bit I have some random problems with paths, just as example.

I say stick with newest only now and in time when emu will be finished enough will be working fine for sure.
elite:
We've long made our decision. The 64bit code is gone.
We had to make our choice based on the current userbase and, more importantly, the state the 64bit code was in.

Trust me, if we had opted for 64bit code now, you wouldn't be able to play much stuff on pcsx2 pp for a long time.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7