..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Anti-Aliasing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(01-15-2013, 02:29 AM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]no MSAA is the standard Multi-Sampling AntiAliasing which has been around for years. MLAA i believe was the ATi/AMD one and FXAA is technically just nvidia. Should have used SMAA really as i believe that is available for both ;p
FXAA was made by nvidia. That doesn't mean it only works on nvidia hardware. For nvidia-specific anti-aliasing methods, look at TXAA, their special "film-quality" AA which only works on their Kepler cards in DX11. FXAA, however, ought to work on anything that can execute shaders in Shader Model 3.0.
Likewise with MLAA. The real thing there is that only ATi/nvidia cards have the option in their drivers to force on MLAA/FXAA.
SMAA isn't always better, but it is different. If it were implemented it ought to be as an option alongside the FXAA support (along with better downsampling for when you render at a higher resolution than the window Tongue ).
Of note is the difference between the driver implementation and the PCSX2 implementation - namely, how PCSX2 applies it before resizing the screen to fit the window whereas the driver does it after. While the latter will definitely get rid of jagged edges better, it does so with an absolutely 100% chance of blurring things more.
(Although some games that render at a lower resolution than the selected/native will likely benefit more from AA applied after the resize than before. Simply put, the pixellation that comes from the game rendering at a lower resolution throws the algorithm for a loop. Can PCSX2 pick up on this, I wonder?)
(01-16-2013, 09:07 AM)OminaeYu Wrote: [ -> ]You guys should get on the SweetFX SMAA injector bandwagon if you are looking to screw around with Anti Alising and Shaders
Really, something like this could be implemented into PCSX2, although I'd say it's probably outside the scope of the project, what with it being about prettying up games then just making them look better. You could probably replace the FXAA shader in PCSX2 with one that has the SweetFX functions in it, for instance. Of course, you can just force stuff on from outside as the DLL does, but as above - it applies it to the final resized image, rather than the one before it's resized, so you'll lose some definition and overall image quality.
I really don't like the massive loss of sharpness with that SweetFX :/
That SweetFX is a custom shader thing, so the massive loss of sharpness is the user's selection's fault.

Though I think the thread is going quite offtopic to what the OP asked.

(01-13-2013, 08:34 AM)YumiLovesMe Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any way I can force anti-aliasing in PCSX2? or will I just have to go through my GPU control panel?

Yes there are ways within GSdx. You can have some SSAA increasing the internal res, some MSAA from the hacks window and some FXAA toggled by the PgUp key (by default, unless custom shader is present).
(01-14-2013, 11:50 PM)devina40 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm kind of surprised, FXAA does wonders for me.

I have no idea if it works on Radeon cards since it's an NVIDIA thing.
If you're not seeing any difference at all when using FXAA, maybe it's not activating?

A lot of people complain about how horrible and blurry FXAA is, but I'd take it over the performance/glitchiness of MSAA or jaggies.
Here's a neat little comparison. It really shows on the horizontal steps.

I dunno, when I hit PageUp there doesn't seem to be a difference. I am using a 6950 but I have used FXAA injectors before and they have worked just fine.
(01-17-2013, 12:52 AM)Tyestor Wrote: [ -> ]I dunno, when I hit PageUp there doesn't seem to be a difference. I am using a 6950 but I have used FXAA injectors before and they have worked just fine.

can you do before/after shots?
(01-17-2013, 01:03 AM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]can you do before/after shots?

Sure. Maybe I'm blind haha. Also I tried SweetFX but that appears to not be working at all for me. I even enabled the sepia tone setting and it didn't change anything.

I'll try it in two games. I'll edit this post, give me a few minutes.

Game 1: [PAL]Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3 - Collector's Edition

http://i.imgur.com/KqIXT.jpg - Screenshot 1
http://i.imgur.com/XMvAo.jpg - Screenshot 2

Game 2: [NTSC-J]Kingdom Hearts II - Final Mix

http://i.imgur.com/nR3Fx.jpg - Screenshot 1
http://i.imgur.com/ldvQ5.jpg - Screenshot 2

See attachments for higher quality images. I'm not sure which one has FXAA on or off as I can't tell either visually or with some sort of indicator. My PCSX2 settings are in my sig.

CPU: Intel Corei5 2500k @ 3.6ghz
GPU: AMD HD6950 @ 840/1325
RAM: 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz DDR3
SSD (PCSX2 is on here): Crucial M4 256gb
HDD 1 (Games on here): Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm
Operating System: Windows 8 Pro x64 (could this have something to do with it? I have been experiencing some weird crash issues since going to Windows 8 as well).
(01-17-2013, 01:17 AM)Tyestor Wrote: [ -> ]Sure. Maybe I'm blind haha. Also I tried SweetFX but that appears to not be working at all for me. I even enabled the sepia tone setting and it didn't change anything.

From your screenshots, it's working. For example, look at the spikes around the arena.

However, the effect is very subtle since you appear to use already high internal resolution (x3 or above probably), so when the image is resized back to the window size, regardless of FXAA (or any other shader based AA), you already have FSAA applied in it's most basic implementation: Render very high resolution, shrink to window -> edges are smoothed.

If you'll choose native resolution or X2 resolution you'll notice FXAA much more.

The aim of FXAA (and other shader based AA) is to AVOID rendering at very high resolution, since this is very taxing on the GPU. So instead you render at a lower resolution, and apply the AA "filter" (e.g. FXAA), which, on some (hopefully many) cases makes it look AS IF you rendered at high resolution and then shrinked to the window, BUT it's much less taxing on the GPU, so you can have higher frame rates with similar image quality.
(01-17-2013, 02:42 AM)avih Wrote: [ -> ]From your screenshots, it's working. For example, look at the spikes around the arena.

However, the effect is very subtle since you appear to use already high internal resolution (x3 or above probably), so when the image is resized back to the window size, regardless of FXAA (or any other shader based AA), you already have FSAA applied in it's most basic implementation: Render very high resolution, shrink to window -> edges are smoothed.

If you'll choose native resolution or X2 resolution you'll notice FXAA much more.

The aim of FXAA (and other shader based AA) is to AVOID rendering at very high resolution, since this is very taxing on the GPU. So instead you render at a lower resolution, and apply the AA "filter" (e.g. FXAA), which, on some (hopefully many) cases makes it look AS IF you rendered at high resolution and then shrinked to the window, BUT it's much less taxing on the GPU, so you can have higher frame rates with similar image quality.

Ahh, ok. That makes sense. I render all my games at 4x internal resolution. One question about MSAA, have the weird shadow problems been fixed yet? I can get you a screenshot if you need it.
(01-17-2013, 02:52 AM)Tyestor Wrote: [ -> ]Ahh, ok. That makes sense. I render all my games at 4x internal resolution. One question about MSAA, have the weird shadow problems been fixed yet? I can get you a screenshot if you need it.

Probably not (fixed) so no need for screenshots. MSAA in GSdx doesn't always work well.

Best stick to FXAA with x2/x3/x4 resolution. IMO there's no point in using more than x4 when FXAA is enabled as you probably won't notice it getting any smoother, especially while playing (for screenshot it's a different matter maybe), but YMMV. Personally I usually don't use more than x2 with FXAA when I'm playing.
(01-16-2013, 04:22 PM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]I really don't like the massive loss of sharpness with that SweetFX :/

(01-16-2013, 05:27 PM)KrossX Wrote: [ -> ]That SweetFX is a custom shader thing, so the massive loss of sharpness is the user's selection's fault.
What do you guys mean when you say there is a massive loss of sharpness in the images I posted. You realize the first pic is the default PCSX2/GSDX FXAA implementation and the second is using the SweetFX Shader Suite with SMAA. Not to mention in the second pic the settings used were created in less than a minute. I'll edit my post to reflect that information.
Pages: 1 2 3 4