..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Last Release compatible with windows 7?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I well know that Windows 7 is very much dead, but one of my PC's still runs it.  PCSX2 stable release 1.6.0 installs and runs on Win7 x64, and it works pretty well, but it has to be offline.  1.6.0 does not have the built-in connection capability of the latest release, and to my finding, no method of adding a connection to 1.6.0 works.  The latest PCSX2 release (1.7.4 as of this post) and several other 1.7.x versions will not install on Win7 64x.  I need to have PCSX2 connect for a friend online, else I would not mess with this.
So, my questions are: What is the last release of PCSX2 that worked with Win7?  Is there a compatible release that has the network module built-in?
1.6 is the latest supported release for windows 7.
Hi. I also refuse to endorse ms's spyware vehicle and have had success with running recent nightly builds on Win7x64

A DLL is needed to allow it to function. This can be obtained from the awesome ReShade project @ reshade.me

Simply download the installation, unpack the installer using a reputable archiver like that found @ 7-zip.org and extract the dlls and json relevant to your system directly alongside the PCSX executable. Then rename the dll to dxgi.dll

On first run there will be an introduction from ReShade relating to its function. If you're in a hurry, press Home on keyboard, click Skip Tutorial and press ESC to leave this window, it won't appear thereafter

BTW: If you are upgrading from 1.6 there are substantial changes. Mainly that plugins are now integrated and there are a few new folders and a few old folders no longer used. My advice is to start a clean install - if you had settings stored in your user > docs > pcsx2 rename it temporarily to allow the latest application to create a new set. Visit the various settings pages and make sure it's set up to your preference and drag over data from your previous profile into the equivalent locations (e.g.: bios, memcard, sstates). Finally, the controller configuration has changed somewhat; to recover individual settings saved as [name].lily, rename those files to [name].pad and place them wherever you want. Those settings may be imported from the usual controller set-up dialog

I have had success with AMD and nVidia cards using the automatically selected renderer (DX11)
Quote:Hi. I also refuse to endorse ms's spyware vehicle
...And that's why you're using windows 7 ? geez.... nowaday's kids

your "solution" may work in some cases, but will fail sooner or later (particularly because wx UI is in legacy state)
FYI, dx11 renderer is also miles behind OGL and vulkan renderers in terms of accuracy...

I strongly wouldn't advise this, really.
but, if it fits some users, why not ?

just keep in mind we won't provide support for anyone trying to run pcsx2 this way
(10-12-2022, 03:15 PM)jesalvein Wrote: [ -> ]...And that's why you're using windows 7 ? geez.... nowaday's kids

your "solution" may work in some cases, but will fail sooner or later (particularly because wx UI is in legacy state)
FYI, dx11 renderer is also miles behind OGL and vulkan renderers in terms of accuracy...

I strongly wouldn't advise this, really.
but, if it fits some users, why not ?

just keep in mind we won't provide support for anyone trying to run pcsx2 this way

Ha ha. Yes, nowaday's 50 year-olds who have seen everything digital come and go..! It's a shame pixels have shrunk so rapidly; if i could use a c64 for work, i would
I agree with you, this "solution" is only a temporary fudge and the handful of us who still prefer to not have their data privacy continually invaded - we certainly do not expect support
BTW: your tireless commentary and advice are very much appreciated. Many many thanks!!
(10-12-2022, 05:38 PM)plants Wrote: [ -> ]Ha ha. Yes, nowaday's 50 year-olds who have seen everything digital come and go..!
well, you probably never noticed those "spywares" you're talking about have always been included to windows since (at least) vista.
I don't see why win 7 is "better" in terms of privacy.
you have to debloat it, use a simple DNS filter, or even a regexp capable one (thank you pihole...) to limit unwanted data streams to M$.
This was the case wtih vista, It's the same with win10, and it'll probably be that way for a long time.
(10-12-2022, 05:38 PM)plants Wrote: [ -> ]Ha ha. Yes, nowaday's 50 year-olds who have seen everything digital come and go..! It's a shame pixels have shrunk so rapidly; if i could use a c64 for work, i would
I agree with you, this "solution" is only a temporary fudge and the handful of us who still prefer to not have their data privacy continually invaded - we certainly do not expect support
BTW: your tireless commentary and advice are very much appreciated. Many many thanks!!

If I were you, I would change the Operating System to Windows 10 or 11, because Windows 7 does not handle games very well, so really, don't risk it!

(10-12-2022, 06:49 PM)jesalvein Wrote: [ -> ]well, you probably never noticed those "spywares" you're talking about have always been included to windows since (at least) vista.
I don't see why win 7 is "better" in terms of privacy.
you have to debloat it, use a simple DNS filter, or even a regexp capable one (thank you pihole...) to limit unwanted data streams to M$.
This was the case wtih vista, It's the same with win10, and it'll probably be that way for a long time.

I completely agree with you!
(10-12-2022, 03:02 PM)Plants much thanks for your response...  However, the latest Reshade 5.4.2 download is an .exe that is significantly different than what you describe - it asks you to choose an application .exe file, than choose the rendering API (DX9, DX10-12, Open GL or Vulkan), and then choose packages... It does install dxgi.dll in PCSX2 folder.  I tried installing just the standard package, then all the packages.  PCSX2 still crashes with this error:Problem signature: Wrote: [ -> ]  Problem Event Name: BEX64
  Application Name: pcsx2-qtx64.exe
  Application Version: 1.7.3399.0
  Application Timestamp: 63441c6b
  Fault Module Name: kernel32.dll_unloaded
  Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp: 5e0eb6bc
  Exception Offset: 0000000076ce5ff0
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Data: 0000000000000008
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: 50b8
  Additional Information 2: 50b895deeef5921a02fba247c9dd6405
  Additional Information 3: 34bc
  Additional Information 4: 34bc50f6a6aa4f429052efabf26d9ef0

Judging from this error, somehow the kernel32.dll won't work with the app, and it won't run in the 64-bit environment.  I will spend some time looking for solution, but I spent a lot of time searching before.  
(10-13-2022, 07:55 PM)Well Chern, it's partially an emotional thing... never liked Win8, 10, or 11 much.  And the PC is legacy hardware, built in 2009, but upgraded over time with an SSD, more RAM, new fans, GPU with more memory.  I actually don't intend to game much on this machine- it's for possibly recording audio.I don't have an A/V but Comodo is a good Firewall for 7 still and I am on a VPN.Chern40_7 Wrote: [ -> ]If I were you, I would change the Operating System to Windows 10 or 11, because Windows 7 does not handle games very well, so really, don't risk it!

I completely agree with you!
Hello. By the sound of things, you might have skipped the step about unpacking the ReShade package, rather than installing it? I didn't encounter the set-up phase you mentioned; it just worked exactly as described

FYI: i used the "SSE4 WxWidgets" PCSX2 package (because my CPUs cannot handle AVX2)

Let me know if you have any more probz
Pages: 1 2