..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Texture Replacement and Dump for Deus Ex
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have problems dumping and replacing the textures on the game Deus Ex (SLES-50805 or SLUS-20111).
Dumping works (it dumps PNG files), but the textures change their name in every dump I try, so this game might not be compatible?
Also if I change something in the texture and move it to "replacements", then the change will not show up in the game, no matter what I try.

As this is one of the rare games which has a better gameplay than the PC-version, which has a working 60-fps-patch, which is one of the greatest games of all time and which only suffers from extremly low res textures, it would be great to find a way to load custom textures in Deus Ex.

I'm willing to take care of the upscaling, but I need to have the texture loading up and running in PCSX2. 

Similar threads, where I didn't find a solution:
https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-The-text...ar-to-work
https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Texture-...g-does-not
Are you sure you checked "Load Textures" after putting the new textures into the replacement folder?

As far as your texture dumps having different filenames for what appears to be the same exact texture, I've seen that happen before in certain games, in certain situations. Here's what I would try, dump textures repeatedly as you progress through the game and see how often and how many "new" filenames (of the same texture) gets dumped. It's possible that there are several filenames of the same texture depending on when you dump it but eventually it reaches a point where there's only a certain amount of filenames then it repeats and cycles through the same filenames over and over again.

Then what you would do is you put all the different filenames of the same texture in the replacements folder so when it switches filenames it loads the replacement filename it needs for continuity.

So first, with dump textures checked, progress through the game for several minutes, then check your dumps folder and see how many different file names of the same texture it's dumped. If an endless amount of new filenames of the same texture get automatically generated as you progress, that would be odd. My guess is it reaches a limit and you end up with a set amount of filenames of the same texture that and you can put all the filenames of the textures you need (by copy and pasting your edited one the renaming each to the relevant filenames) in order to do your texture replacements.

I know that for games that I've seen different filenames of the same texture, I've seen that occur like, for example, in a fighting game if conditions of the match change (like which character or opponent is selected) it might have a different filename, but if you choose the same characters each time it will always have the same filename of the texture you need. Now in a game like Dues Ex, a FPS, it's not like a fighting game which has a set arena where conditions are controlled and set for the duration of the match. But I still would encourage you to play for a while with dump textures enabled and see how many different filenames of the same texture get automatically generated, see if it ever reaches a point where it stops generating new filenames and repeats to the first filename. Then you'll know you have a set amount of filenames (of the same texture) to replace which would solve your problem.