Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia - Menu Slowdown
(06-07-2016, 10:39 PM)gregory Wrote: try gsdx fast texture invalidation hack

Just tried that out, it doesn't do anything, slowdown is still there.

Sponsored links

Well reading the above comment, it seems the EE is reading the GS framebuffer. Whichs mean reading the GPU framebuffer (if HW renderer). Which means flush the full GPU command pipeline. So it would always be slow, here the solution to reduce the slow down
1/ less driver overhead to reduce latency
2/ PCI gen4 to reduce the transfer latency
3/ fast GPU to reduce the number of command to be flushed. Ideally, your GPU ought to be in the idle state.

The alternate solution is to remove the emulation of the effect but it will break the game.
(06-08-2016, 11:29 AM)gregory Wrote: Well reading the above comment, it seems the EE is reading the GS framebuffer. Whichs mean reading the GPU framebuffer (if HW renderer). Which means flush the full GPU command pipeline. So it would always be slow, here the solution to reduce the slow down
1/ less driver overhead to reduce latency
2/ PCI gen4 to reduce the transfer latency
3/ fast GPU to reduce the number of command to be flushed. Ideally, your GPU ought to be in the idle state.

The alternate solution is to remove the emulation of the effect but it will break the game.

No problem, I will get right to coding that in soon as I take a couple of courses in Emulation programming at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. But seriously, I have no idea what you just said there or if it was intended for me.
Also, my hardware is more than capable of running PCSX2, it's barely utilizing 30% of the resources with the more demanding games, Ar Tonelico shouldn't be a problem.
That GPU in idle state might work though, and all I have to do is shut it down...pretty much.

Quick side-question here, how easy would it be to code greater internal-resolution for software more?
Yay for PCSX2-wizards!
Well, PS2 and C documentation is all over the place. Also, your GPU isn't that good

second there's nothing you can really do.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(06-08-2016, 02:49 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Well, PS2 and C documentation is all over the place. Also, your GPU isn't that good

second there's nothing you can really do.

Like I've said, it's running at barely 30% utilization for PCSX2, so It's good enough for it, but yeah I understand there's more to it than that.
Too bad about that issues though, i kinda had my doubts since it wasn't fixed already.

What about the higher internal resolution for software more? Would be a godsend for sprite-based games.
It isn't about emulation but about GPU architecture. In short, when your GPU is drawing the frame N, the CPU is computing the frame N+1. GPU/CPU are not synchronous.

However the game requires to access latest data from the GPU (still at only frame N) to compute the frame N+1. So your GPU need to finish its jobs first which is uber slow. Even if you're hardware is only at 30%. Actually you're only at 30% because the CPU is waiting, that GPU finish the pending jobs, to send new draw.
(06-08-2016, 04:02 PM)gregory Wrote: It isn't about emulation but about GPU architecture. In short, when your GPU is drawing the frame N, the CPU is computing the frame N+1. GPU/CPU are not synchronous.

However the game requires to access latest data from the GPU (still at only frame N) to compute the frame N+1. So your GPU need to finish its jobs first which is uber slow. Even if you're hardware is only at 30%. Actually you're only at 30% because the CPU is waiting, that GPU finish the pending jobs, to send new draw.

User bomblord said he has the slowdown as well, and his PC is much stronger than mine with a more powerful GPU. So again, I don't think it's hardware related...
(06-08-2016, 04:02 PM)gregory Wrote: It isn't about emulation but about GPU architecture. In short, when your GPU is drawing the frame N, the CPU is computing the frame N+1. GPU/CPU are not synchronous.

Hmm,you just gave me an idea and it seems that fixes the problem.
In my nvidia control panel,the power management is set to adaptive and because AT2 is so easy for my gpu,the gpu is almost always in idle state(which is at least 10 times slower than full power)
If I set the power management mode to "prefer maximum performance" and then run pcsx2(you have to do that before running pcsx2),then I don't notice any slowdowns while opening the menu in AT2
(06-08-2016, 05:00 PM)vsub Wrote: Hmm,you just gave me an idea and it seems that fixes the problem.
In my nvidia control panel,the power management is set to adaptive and because AT2 is so easy for my gpu,the gpu is almost always in idle state(which is at least 10 times slower than full power)
If I set the power management mode to "prefer maximum performance" and then run pcsx2(you have to do that before running pcsx2),then I don't notice any slowdowns while opening the menu in AT2

Any idea how to do that for AMD cards? We don't have power management.
(06-08-2016, 05:21 PM)Canes Wrote: Any idea how to do that for AMD cards? We don't have power management.

What about Power limit in amd overdrive? Also Power Efficiency in Gaming tab.