Bandicam vs FRAPS for PCSX2
(10-16-2014, 06:15 PM)nintendo85 Wrote: But I can record PCSX2 just fine with it, that's the thing, and Bandicam has a 10 min limit and watermark unless you pay, which I refuse to do. Shadowplay wins by virtue of being completely free. Watermarks be damned. The internal recorder is too bloody slow and intensive on my CPU, plus, I have to manually compress and merge audio with the video, too time-consuming.

50 Mbit (6.25 MB/second), not MBytes. Yeah, 1 Mb is 128 KB, if it was MB (1024 KB), that'd be insane XD

When capping uncompressed at 1080p with gsdx the output is at about 250 MegaBytes per second.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]

Sponsored links

(10-16-2014, 06:43 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: When capping uncompressed at 1080p with gsdx the output is at about 250 MegaBytes per second.

What's your point? And? This is why I brought it up, the fact of the matter is, using the built in recorder is too time consuming and a real pain to deal with when you have to merge audio and video and then compress it, Bandicam and Shadowplay already use MP4 compression, which is easier to deal with. Recording at 250 mbps is insane and will eat up your HDD in no time, I don't know why people would want to use the built in recorder over something that can still look very good at 1080p60 and have minimal impact on performance. 30 min at 10 mbps is very small and still looks good compared to a 4 GB file for 10 minutes.

Shadowplay > PCSX2 recorder - there are no practical advantages to using the built in recorder.
Custom Desktop
CPU: Haswell Core i7 4770 3.40 GHz (3.90 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
CPU Instructions: MMX, SSE1, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1,
SSE4.2, EIST, iAMT2, Trusted Execution Technology (TXT)  
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
HDD: 3 x 1 TB Western Digital HDD
Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5
Audio: Realtek 5.1 HD Audio
(10-16-2014, 08:16 PM)nintendo85 Wrote: Shadowplay > PCSX2 recorder - there are no practical advantages to using the former when the latter has no performance impact and already has the audio/video synced

You reversed former and latter in this sentence. Tongue

/end grammar nazi mode.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(10-16-2014, 08:32 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: You reversed former and latter in this sentence. Tongue

/end grammar nazi mode.

Fixed, I'm still human. That being said, why in bloody blazes would anyone want to use the built in recorder when it's such a PITA to use (combining the audio and video, compressing from raw to some other format)? Shadowplay beats the built in recorder in every way.
Custom Desktop
CPU: Haswell Core i7 4770 3.40 GHz (3.90 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
CPU Instructions: MMX, SSE1, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1,
SSE4.2, EIST, iAMT2, Trusted Execution Technology (TXT)  
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
HDD: 3 x 1 TB Western Digital HDD
Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5
Audio: Realtek 5.1 HD Audio
I don't know, but back when it was made the options to record were different, so that's why it was made.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(10-16-2014, 08:16 PM)nintendo85 Wrote: Shadowplay > PCSX2 recorder - there are no practical advantages to using the built in recorder.

When you record your PCSX2 gameplay with Shadowplay, do you use the "desktop capture" option to record PCSX2?
meh if I'll want to record stuff I'll use OBS, I don't see the use for shadowplay.
(10-17-2014, 01:09 PM)StriFe79 Wrote: meh if I'll want to record stuff I'll use OBS, I don't see the use for shadowplay.

Yeah I've been using bandicam for recording PCSX2, and it works pretty good. But when running certain PS2 games on PCSX2 (graphically demanding games) the gameplay slows down at times while recording.

So although bandicam works well for most games, I thought about trying out Shadowplay since I have an Nvidia card. I installed it but am having some trouble getting it to record PCSX2.

I could give OBS a try too, I tried it a while back and it didn't seem to work as well as bandicam did. My goal is to record 60 FPS from PCSX2 without any slowdown. Like I said, bandicam can record some games without any noticeable slowdown while recording, but there are a few games where I am seeing more slowdown so am looking for some alternatives.
As I always say: what's the point of those paid programs?

MSI afterburner is free, has a nice built-in compression, support also external codecs (including AMD VCE, nvidia shadowplay and intel quicksync), it has pre-recording, multichannel audio, even uncompressed streams... so why not?
That's interesting that MSI afterburner can use the nvidia shadowplay codec. I guess the consensus is either MSI afterburner or OBS. How do those two options compare and contrast when recording PCSX2?

PCSX2 has a full screen mode where it doesn't switch to other full-screen resolutions like PC games do. Well Shadowplay doesn't recognize PCSX2 that way. There's a "desktop capture" option that will record the desktop and PCSX2's full screen mode, but that option is apparently only available on certain chipsets. (so the option just doesn't appear when running Shadowplay on gaming notebooks and some desktop chipsets)

If anyone knows of a workaround so that Shadowplay can record PCSX2 then that is probably the best option if you have an NVidia card. If some chipsets don't have that "desktop capture" option in Shadowplay, then maybe there's some way to run PCSX2 in a full screen mode or change the resolution that Shadowplay would recognize.