DX12 Support in PCSX2
No it isn't useless. Every bits of juice will help. It will help to reduce the latency. However the biggest slow down are often due to texture transfer or texture conversion (snow engine game/tri-ace game for example). Few games uses a tons of draw calls, and don't forget that GSdx still need to convert the GS "draw call" to API "draw call". Lots of juice remains in the old API. OpenGL4 isn't fully used. DX11 isn't used (code is DX10 actually).

However future hardware will allow to improve emulation. IMHO the biggest advantage of Vulkan (DX12) is that speed won't depends on the drivers which means
1/ Vulkan will be as fast as DX12. So no need to bother with 2 APIs (cough 5 API actually)
2/ AMD driver would be usable and as fast as Nvidia (and less buggy). Because you can fix your application not the driver.

I hope GSdx will only have a Vulkan port instead of both DX12/Vulkan. So yeah DX12 is useless, Vulkan would be more interesting.

Sponsored links

This kind of extension could help to increase perf without rewriting the full plugin

Name: GL_KHR_no_error
Link: https://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/KHR/no_error.txt
quote:
Quote: With this extension enabled any behavior that generates a GL error will
have undefined behavior. The reason this extension exists is performance
can be increased and power usage decreased.

Could people check the extension availability on their OS/driver.
(12-29-2015, 01:06 PM)gregory Wrote: Could people check the extension availability on their OS/driver.

I have it on my GTX750TI(checked using ppsspp)and it doesn't exist on Intel HD4600
Showing up on PPSSPP for me as well on a GTX660Ti using driver version 361.43
(12-29-2015, 01:06 PM)gregory Wrote: Could people check the extension availability on their OS/driver.

How do I check this?
The easiest way is with PPSSPP
Start it=>Settings=>Tools=>System Information=>OGL Extensions=>look for GL_KHR_no_error in the list

Edit:
http://opengl.gpuinfo.org/gl_listreports...R_no_error
But not all cards are there

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

No support on Intel Haswell (Linux).
I create a branch with the flags. I didn't test it but feel free to report me any feedback.

https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/tree/opengl-release-mode
(12-29-2015, 11:30 PM)gregory Wrote: I create a branch with the flags. I didn't test it but feel free to report me any feedback.

https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/tree/opengl-release-mode

Broken on Intel (both OpenGL SW and HW).
(12-28-2015, 03:43 PM)gregory Wrote: I don't think you can share your experience with DX12 on PCSX2 Wink    

I don't say that new API won't help to improve performance. But why do you think Saint Seiya is limited by old API and not by texture conversion or texture transfer for example? Well in your case, due to AMD poor driver, you will have a speed boost no matter what.  But it would be better idea to ask vehemently AMD to improve their driver (instead to push the said driver in the application space). AKA 1 stone thousands of birds Wink

I was praising you for not closing yourself to AMD's fault yadda yadda BS. I guess i was wrong.

Well, leaving hardware vendors wars aside. You got me totally wrong. I'm not complaining about Saint Seiya running slow as if it were API's or PCSX2's fault, i was using it merely as a comparative example since it's pretty surprising to have a game such as LoI running full speed and an arena fighter like SSH chugging like crazy.

Anyways, you seem to be pretty vehement about not implementing DX12 to an emulator that is so heavily CPU based, when DX12 actually benefits the CPU side. You're making no sense for me and again, you have already proof about its advantages in Dolphin (Ishiiruka has absorbed the DX12 branch recently)