GSdx
I'm not sure about the sharpness quite yet. It seems roughly the same though. but that was more due to using 16:9 base values for the scaling, I think. What I'm doing now, is trying to get the actual (gs reported, at least) native res, for each specific game. And then base the scaling multipliers on that. Rather than the hardcoded fixed values that cause scaling issues in games.

-----
I've attached a preliminary test build below. This is a different sort of test build. Not one for testing gameplay, but rather for loading up your games and look at the top of the GSdx window (where the fps, and % usages are reported), and it will display what each game's reported native resolution is.

Then I'd like you to look at the console - I have a trace outputting from when the emu is launched that will spew out what the reported base width, and height values are (more than a bit crude, sorry, but it works lol). What I'd like you to do is check out your games, and tell me if the console output trace is matching the GSdx values at the top of the screen.

Again - this comes with it's own pcsx2.exe to avoid visual studio problems, with different versions.

Ensure your using scaling (2x, 3x, etc), and not a custom-set resolution, as that is unaffected.
Test Build:
.zip   GSdx32-SSE2-ScalingTest.zip (Size: 2,49 MB / Downloads: 261)

Please keep in mind this is a very early version of the test, and it will need to be refined an all that. This is strictly to see if it's actually working. I've only got like 9 or 10 games burned to iso on my machine atm, so it's not much to go by.

Thanks a lot for testing, it's appreciated Smile

#Edit: I forgot to mention - this build has a problem with some cutscenes, but that'll be looked into later.

Sponsored links

I'll do some quick tests if it's only the scaling your worried about now!

Edit: All tests done in 3x Scaling mode. Bios is broken in full boot.

Grandia III - 512 x 448: trace report is correct. The in game loading logos and what-not are "broken". Flashes violently when trying to skip the company logos, requires F9 toggle. After loading save, everything is fine.

Kinetica - 512 x 448: trace report is correct. The in-game loading logos and what-not are "broken". From menu to race, everything is fine.

FFX - 512 x 416: trace report is correct. Whole screen flashes violently, from boot to in-game.

Kingdom Hearts - 512 x 447: trace report is correct. The in-game loading logos and what-not load fine. Loading game is broken, sounds and movement work, but screen is stuck on the Menu for new game and load, requires to toggle F9 for a fix.

Kingdom Hearts II - 512 x 448: trace report is correct. Works without issue.

Final Fantasy XII: IZJS with English patch - 512 x 448: trace report is correct. Works without issue.

Rogue Galaxy - 512 x 448: trace report is correct. Works without issue
Tekken tag is reporting the correct height/width, but the gs window isn't resetting when it's set to half the picture is off the bottom of the screen. Switching to software and back brings it back, or escaping and re-entering emulation

Edit: BTW i know the picture doesn't have lines, but when you correct the picture it does ;p

Edit 2: Katamari Damacy has some stretching of picture issues at the bottom (where there's a black strip with currently usable controls), again it's fine after you cycle F9.
Also this game now suffers from the nvidia issue, which the hack doesn't seem to solve Sad

Testing all done with Native x2 btw
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Thanks for having a test. Does that game have it's h/w values set anywhere else, like that jackie chan game? that's forcing 1280 width. I supposed calling a gs reset after initial detection would sort that, but that's not a good idea either lol.

#Edit: Thanks for testing, guys Smile

Bigbenn01: Great, tyvm for the reports. And don't worry, I'm not only going to be working on the scaling Tongue I'm only trying to figure it out a bit, right now is all.

I should have been clearer with my explanation btw. What I'm really trying to test here is if I can actually get the correct width, and height for each game. I'm aware that this won't work correctly, as it is now, but If the idea works I can use it.

I'm trying to detect the h/w values - but when the scaling is normally initialised, this hasn't been decided by the renderer yet. So, what I'm trying to do, is check for scaling a bit later on, after the renderer has detected the correct h/w, and then scale the reported values.

---

I've to go afk until tomorrow I'm afraid, but I'll pick it up again, then.
you could reset on smode or smode 2 write, i "think" that's only done if the framerate etc is set by the game, which should only be when loading.

oh and on an unrelated note, the anisotropic filtering causes mayhem with GT4 roads Tongue
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

It seems to be fine on detecting correct values, I just decided to describe the side-effects currently. I didn't think it was a problem, since I did label if trace reported what the GSdx values on the top line showed too! =).
no problems so far. all my interlaced games are still working and scale good. gits-sac got a freak resolution detected. 639x447. thus missing quite a bit in the menu screens and the mainscreen ingame is black, but it doesn't scale without bugs anyway. so... this is irrelevant.
(01-21-2014, 11:31 PM)refraction Wrote: you could reset on smode or smode 2 write, i "think" that's only done if the framerate etc is set by the game, which should only be when loading.

wipeout fusion has 3 different resolution sets detected. 640x480 while developer screens running, 640x447 in the main menu, and 512x448 ingame. Wink
Just thought I'd mention that I've been playing all my PCSX2 stuff with the anisotropic filter build. It seems stable, good results, no glitches in any of my tests. Somewhat slower(5-10%) but that could be since it's only SSE2 build.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Yeah the AF build is flawless, and since I can only use SSE2, speeds have stayed the same!