Gsdx future discussion
(03-23-2016, 04:43 PM)BlackTelomeres Wrote: I don't see a lot of other games that have bugs due to no/improper mipmapping though so maybe it wouldn't be high priority.

Destroy all Humans and Rachet and Clank series are 2 sets of games that would benefit greatly from mipmapping support (so about 5 or 6 games)
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Sponsored links

(03-23-2016, 05:01 PM)refraction Wrote: Destroy all Humans and Rachet and Clank series are 2 sets of games that would benefit greatly from mipmapping support (so about 5 or 6 games)

Spiderman 2 needs it pretty bad as well. As far as my games, J&D1 needs mipmapping for foliage and transparencies to render correctly.
Quote:some people would want some kind of mipmapping support in the HW renderer so they can play Ace Combat 5 in higher resolution without the landscape turning to garbage blocks
The purpose of Mipmap is to reduce the resolution of textures. So instead to send a texture of 256x256, you send several layers of the texture (256x256, 128x128, 64x64, 32x32, ...)

Most of GSdx issues is related to a game optimization not mipmap per se. All 3d games use mipmap. Yet few of them suffer of issues. The issue is that instead to have a complete texture (with all layers). You have random data for the layer 256x256, 128x128, and you only begin to see real data in 64x64 and below. Currently GSdx always upload the layer 0 (or the highest resolution texture).
Is there any way to detect what size texture the primitive needs and generate our own fake mipmaps? I mean assuming we can figure out the needed size, running layer 0(or whichever has the "real" data)through a bilinear downscale and outputting that size should be trivial.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
my bad I make a couple of shortcut. For GS a texture is a pointer. Layer N could be a different object than layer 0. I don't think we need to compute our own mipmap (and we can't as a matter of fact). We just need to upload the layer 2 (for example, based on the Qmin vertex information). And only do the rendering with the layer 2. I think it will work on a couple of basic case.

Complex case is that GS could render directly into a layer of a texture. Or several of them in the same time.
(03-23-2016, 05:19 PM)CK1 Wrote: Spiderman 2 needs it pretty bad as well.
Spider-Man 2 is very different, it actually looks better with mipmapping turned off in software mode.
The Spider-man 2 texture issues look more similar to Stuntman(partly similar to Driv3r) and the cars in Ridge Racer V (texturecache related?).
(03-23-2016, 07:31 PM)FlatOut Wrote: Spider-Man 2 is very different, it actually looks better with mipmapping turned off in software mode.
The Spider-man 2 texture issues look more similar to Stuntman(partly similar to Driv3r) and the cars in Ridge Racer V (texturecache related?).

Ridge Racer V is a texture cache issue.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(03-23-2016, 07:34 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Ridge Racer V is a texture cache issue.
I believe Spider-man 2 and Stuntman are too, I'm pretty sure I've tested them both without it. Though I think Spider-Man 2 does have more issues in HW than just that.
(03-23-2016, 07:31 PM)gregory Wrote: my bad I make a couple of shortcut. For GS a texture is a pointer. Layer N could be a different object than layer 0. I don't think we need to compute our own mipmap (and we can't as a matter of fact). We just need to upload the layer 2 (for example, based on the Qmin vertex information). And only do the rendering with the layer 2. I think it will work on a couple of basic case.

Complex case is that GS could render directly into a layer of a texture. Or several of them in the same time.

Okay, I see now.

That explains why this isn't super straightforward. I've wondered.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
I may be wrong but I think 'Saru gechu 2/Ape escape 2' texture bug is Mipmap related too... Wink
_____
Intel Core i7-5820K/16GB DDR4/GeForce RTX 2070 Super/MSI X99A Gaming 7 motherboard
...some of my PS2 games videos...