Poll: Is EE overclocking a useful feature?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
91.49%
43 91.49%
No
8.51%
4 8.51%
Total 47 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Overclocking the EE (discussion) (testers wanted)
(02-01-2015, 10:12 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: As far as the UI - I'm torn.

Part of me thinks it will be abused by the uninformed, and so should be hidden.

The other part thinks we have like 99 things already exposed that can be abused by the uninformed, so what's one more?

It really improves the experience, I mean A LOT.
IMHO it should remain accessible, just leave a vague warning as ssakash suggested.

OR a very clear one, like "Improves stuff but requires a STRONG CPU (i5, i7 @*.*GHz)"

BTW: thanks again you kind of doubled my satisfaction of getting this new rig. Awesome day. Smile
CPU: i5 4690K stock 3.5/3.9GHz clock (for now)
GPU: GTX 750 Ti Gigabyte OC 2GB Low Profile
RAM: 4Gb RAM dual ch pc12800 cas 8
HDD: 500Gb/32Mb cache
MB: MSI Z97 Pc Mate
FAN: Hyper 212 EVO

Sponsored links

Awesome, I am truly surprised at how much benefit it is giving.

I finally get to "leave my mark" on PCSX2 itself.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(02-02-2015, 03:14 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Awesome, I am truly surprised at how much benefit it is giving.

Yeah, it makes socom a bit smoother, but the performance hit is MASSIVE. I get 35fps
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Oh wow! I'm very curious about how this works! (tbh I haven't read through the thread)

What would it take to do it on real hardware? I'd like to see it done since performance on some games could be better. (even if it's BGA, I don't care, something can surely be done!)
(02-02-2015, 03:19 AM)xan1242 Wrote: Oh wow! I'm very curious about how this works! (tbh I haven't read through the thread)

What would it take to do it on real hardware? I'd like to see it done since performance on some games could be better. (even if it's BGA, I don't care, something can surely be done!)

You mean on actual PS2?
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Just tried;

ZoE 2 (U) -> the game runs smooth without the hack, no use there.

Earth Defense Force 2 (J) -> massive framerate improvement @ 33%, stays smooth where it's usually super choppy.
CPU: i5 4690K stock 3.5/3.9GHz clock (for now)
GPU: GTX 750 Ti Gigabyte OC 2GB Low Profile
RAM: 4Gb RAM dual ch pc12800 cas 8
HDD: 500Gb/32Mb cache
MB: MSI Z97 Pc Mate
FAN: Hyper 212 EVO
(02-02-2015, 03:21 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: You mean on actual PS2?

Yep! Info on how it was done specifically could help, though I'd need a spare PS2 for doing that. Laugh

I do go to an electrotechnical school myself so I could try to investigate what can be done. (though I believe the clock circuit may be integrated into the EE but controllable externally like on PCs)
(02-02-2015, 03:14 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Awesome, I am truly surprised at how much benefit it is giving.

Congrats. Rep+1. This is another great example that if you want to help, just do it. Smile

Regarding the UI, I think it should be visible but this one is tricky. Overclocking the EE isn't a speedhack. If it's on the Speedhacks page, some users might think that it will make games run better on old hardware regardless of the description.

Maybe it should be moved to the EE/IOP page and we can have a description on the Speedhacks page that underclocking the EE is an option. Also, I think the default position of the handle should be at the middle of the slider. The user can move the handle to the left to underclock the EE and move it to the right to overclock the EE.
(02-02-2015, 04:55 AM)xemnas99 Wrote: Congrats. Rep+1. This is another great example that if you want to help, just do it. Smile

Regarding the UI, I think it should be visible but this one is tricky. Overclocking the EE isn't a speedhack. If it's on the Speedhacks page, some users might think that it will make games run better on old hardware regardless of the description.

Maybe it should be moved to the EE/IOP page and we can have a description on the Speedhacks page that underclocking the EE is an option. Also, I think the default position of the handle should be at the middle of the slider. The user can move the handle to the left to underclock the EE and move it to the right to overclock the EE.

Yeah, but then we have the separate slider and which one takes precedent issue.

As far as the position - if it's all on the same slider the middle WILL be default ultimately. The only reason it is as it is now is I couldn't find where and unsigned var was to change it to signed. Rama did.

So if it's all on the same slider it will run from -2 to +2
(02-02-2015, 09:04 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Yeah, but then we have the separate slider and which one takes precedent issue.

As far as the position - if it's all on the same slider the middle WILL be default ultimately. The only reason it is as it is now is I couldn't find where and unsigned var was to change it to signed. Rama did.

So if it's all on the same slider it will run from -2 to +2

Ahh, so you did have to change it from Unsigned to Signed. I was curious about that.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]