Poll: Is EE overclocking a useful feature?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
91.49%
43 91.49%
No
8.51%
4 8.51%
Total 47 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Overclocking the EE (discussion) (testers wanted)
well 2/19 tested games don't boot with it set to 50%, thats a 10.52% failure rate, that's pretty high and you KNOW idiots will set the slider to the extreme value because they always do.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Sponsored links

(10-18-2015, 03:14 AM)refraction Wrote: well 2/19 tested games don't boot with it set to 50%, thats a 10.52% failure rate, that's pretty high and you KNOW idiots will set the slider to the extreme value because they always do.

of course I do, but at the same time it will discourage ANYONE from doing it. and a 10% failure rate is not enough, with a 19-game pool to get that data from. imo if it was more like 20, I could see that being viable. plus text is easy enough to change, and really a small test group is ok, but it doesn''t break PCSX2 to have it and a wider test group is a more positive thing than not having it out there to be used
(10-18-2015, 03:14 AM)refraction Wrote: well 2/19 tested games don't boot with it set to 50%, thats a 10.52% failure rate, that's pretty high and you KNOW idiots will set the slider to the extreme value because they always do.

The testing was done on games that we thought would either break or have improvements though. I'm sure far less than 10% would break, if you tested the 500 most popular PS2 games.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Well I don't want to encourage anybody TO use it unless they know what they're doing, but new users or people who listen to morons on youtube will do it, then come here asking for help when their games don't work, then we have to waste our time because they decided to be muppets with the speed hacks, we get it enough with the underclocking (which is far more stable imo)

(10-18-2015, 03:19 AM)refraction Wrote: Well I don't want to encourage anybody TO use it unless they know what they're doing, but new users or people who listen to morons on youtube will do it, then come here asking for help when their games don't work, then we have to waste our time because they decided to be muppets with the speed hacks, we get it enough with the underclocking (which is far more stable imo)

We get it with underclocking, game fixes, clamping, rounding, and recompiler selections
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]

That's not a valid assessment.

We had found in testing MANY more games before(way back before this thread existed) that those two broke, so we included them in this much smaller sample. It's more like 2% fail with 50%(but only to boot, in game they are fine)
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
well, we KNOW for a fact it fixes codecs in MGS3 (donno about 2, not tested) which is one of the most popular games, it's really hit and miss, tbh
Whether or not it helps is VERY hit and miss, but actual breaking is very limited. Two games out of I'd say 100 in total tested over all the testing done don't boot with it set to max, but will tolerate it in game. Still I'm all for strong warning language- ref is right, noobs will own themselves.

Saying whether it helps or not is very difficult without a real in game FPS counter because you have to trust your eyes.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(10-18-2015, 03:28 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: We get it with underclocking, game fixes, clamping, rounding, and recompiler selections

yea, exactly. a little text isn't going to stop anything, sheep are still sheep. it is best not to discourage people from trying it for themselves, because the next ME might show up and be just as hesitant with all the "this will break your games" and not want to try it for years, only to discover it works so well it is something they would recommend in most situations
At least if there is something there saying "this could likely bugger everything up" at least we've tried to warn them, so they can try it and if it does die and they have some level of common sense, they will go back and put it back to default.

BTW when you're testing, can you make sure this still works with the presets okay?