PCSX2 - Widescreen Game Patches
(05-17-2016, 01:10 AM)Scott111 Wrote: So let me get this right, in the main PCSX2 installation folder in the C: drive theirs a zipped file called "cheats_ws" so should  I keep the file zipped and just place it in the cheat_ws empty folder in My documents ?
Keep it zipped and keep it where it is. It doesn't need to be moved. Wink

(05-17-2016, 01:10 AM)Scott111 Wrote: Then to get widescreen working I just need to enable the widescreen patches option in the drop down and set the aspect ratio to 16:9 in the GS window options is that it ?
Yes. I've recently created a new option, which has been added to the latest GIT versions, that switches the aspect ratio to 4:3 for FMV's(they'll look stretched in 16:9). If you want to use that for a game, you can find it in Config > Emulation Settings > GS Window > "Switch to 4:3 aspect ratio when an FMV plays".

(05-17-2016, 01:10 AM)Scott111 Wrote: How do I know when it's working/looking right, other then trying to just eyeball it ? and/or also some games may not support it.

Thanks a lot
Yeah, you'll have to eyeball it. You can compare screenshots(F8 > snaps folder) to get a good view. If a game doesn't have a patch yet (or has ingame widescreen support) it'll say "0 widescreen hacks" at the top of the log window.

Sponsored links

(05-17-2016, 01:31 AM)FlatOut Wrote: Keep it zipped and keep it where it is. It doesn't need to be moved. ;)

Yes. I've recently created a new option, which has been added to the latest GIT versions, that switches the aspect ratio to 4:3 for FMV's(they'll look stretched in 16:9). If you want to use that for a game, you can find it in Config > Emulation Settings > GS Window > "Switch to 4:3 aspect ratio when an FMV plays".

Yeah, you'll have to eyeball it. You can compare screenshots(F8 > snaps folder) to get a good view. If a game doesn't have a patch yet (or has ingame widescreen support) it'll say "0 widescreen hacks" at the top of the log window.

This entire 'zip archive' thing for widescreen patches is something that I don't entirely enjoy.  I preferred the older 'folder' method that let me just drag and drop in new patches (and keep them updated between versions) far easier.

That said, a refresh of the latest patches with the latest Git is long overdue.  People shouldn't need to crawl the forums here just to figure out that updated/new patches are available.  Such a setup is not end-user-friendly.
This method was chosen because when using the installer and having to move about 3k files made installations take like 5 minutes, so this solution was used.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(05-19-2016, 05:58 PM)darkwraith007 Wrote: This entire 'zip archive' thing for widescreen patches is something that I don't entirely enjoy.  I preferred the older 'folder' method that let me just drag and drop in new patches (and keep them updated between versions) far easier.

That said, a refresh of the latest patches with the latest Git is long overdue.  People shouldn't need to crawl the forums here just to figure out that updated/new patches are available.  Such a setup is not end-user-friendly.
You can always extract the zip into the cheats_ws folder and just drag and drop in new patches.

A refresh isn't high priority when there's only a couple new patches since the last update.
1. So right now there's 1994 pnach files in that zipped file. So each of those files represents one widescreen patch, so is it safe to assume all these files cover pretty much every popular game, so if I don't play anything too obscure odds are it's patched ?

2. Are these patches only made for certain regions like for example Devil May Cry patch will only work for the USA version of the game ?

3. So if we are to keep the file zipped and not move it then why is there a empty cheats_ws folder in My documents ? I guess I'll take a guess and say it's there if I want to make my own widescreen patches ?

4. GIT versions are great I like how it's not really installed on the PC, why can't official releases be GIT like ?

Thanks
(05-20-2016, 01:15 AM)Scott111 Wrote: 1. So right now there's 1994 pnach files in that zipped file. So each of those files represents one widescreen patch, so is it safe to assume all these files cover pretty much every popular game, so if I don't play anything too obscure odds are it's patched ?

2. Are these patches only made for certain regions like for example Devil May Cry patch will only work for the USA version of the game ?

3. So if we are to keep the file zipped and not move it then why is there a empty cheats_ws folder in My documents ? I guess I'll take a guess and say it's there if I want to make my own widescreen patches ?

4. GIT versions are great I like how it's not really installed on the PC, why can't official releases be GIT like ?

1. Actually, there's 2047 with the latest archive.

2. Essentially, yes. One patch per region, usually. But don't fear, there's usually multiple versions of a patch. One patch for NTSC-U, another patch for PAL. Unfortunately, there are times when only one region has a patch, so you should check the archive to see what and what isn't available.

3. The cheats_ws folder is for widescreen developers and to test patches.

4. I agree, I like the self-contained approach. But this isn't a question you should be asking in the widescreen development topic.
(05-20-2016, 01:15 AM)Scott111 Wrote: 4. GIT versions are great I like how it's not really installed on the PC, why can't official releases be GIT like ?
They are. For every official release there's an installer version and a binary(like the GIT versions) available. Wink
Hello!

Is it possible convert these codes to NTSC-U version or at least make them RAW codes? (Mastercode Needed)

METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SUBSTENCE Progressive Scan Patch: http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Dene...m67002.htm
I noticed you didn't mention NTSC-J patches and only NTSC-U & PAL use different patches. Do NTSC-J and NTSC-U share the same patch for the same game ?
(05-20-2016, 10:58 PM)Scott111 Wrote: I noticed you didn't mention NTSC-J patches and only NTSC-U & PAL use different patches. Do NTSC-J and NTSC-U share the same patch for the same game ?
No, NTSC-U and NTSC-J use different patches too.