Removal of Custom resolution from GSdx
In theory you will average them when you downscale the rendering to your display (that why it is silly to match the custom resolution to your display resolution). But it is true that due to poor ps2 resolution and high standard display resolution, the resolving part is barely done. However I don't know if it mandatory to resolve at same resolution. I need to do additional research.That a good point.

Except this resolving part, upscaling and ssaa are mathematically the same. Instead to store the value as pixels you store them as fragment. Both values are a color in memory. From a GPU pov the memory layout is different. And gpu is able to compress samples (due to the different layout). Honestly those stuffs are minor details of hw implementation.

Sponsored links

It is possible to do a manual resolving in shader. So it might be possible to do an upscale during the resolving part. Or maybe it just need a blit in the window buffer.
so doing away with custom resolutions and deciding that 0.5 doesn't exist at all.. Funny how every game I ever tested on my old machine I ran at 256x256/384x384 and while not pretty, ran fairly well. I think testing this in only one game is downright stupid. How can you upscale a game, but not downscale it with the same functions?

(If I'd'a seen this sooner, I would have chimed in sooner)
(09-08-2015, 06:18 PM)Saiki Wrote: so doing away with custom resolutions and deciding that 0.5 doesn't exist at all.. Funny how every game I ever tested on my old machine I ran at 256x256/384x384 and while not pretty, ran fairly well. I think testing this in only one game is downright stupid. How can you upscale a game, but not downscale it with the same functions?

(If I'd'a seen this sooner, I would have chimed in sooner)

Even if it is possible to have 0.5IR, it won't help enough to justify leaving an option for it.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(09-08-2015, 06:27 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Even if it is possible to have 0.5IR, it won't help enough to justify leaving an option for it.

oh no, it couldn't possibly help all those people that from the start of my guide has actually helped, right? I started with a low-end PC I KNOWhow much a lower resolution can help, and we still see a LOT of activity at my guide almost daily, so do tell me how it is "not justified to leave the option"

just so we're all aware. The number of views on each one of my low-end guides, to date (sept. 8):

0.9.8: 199,267
1.0.0-1.3.0: 53,323
I want to see some benchmark between 0.5x/native/2x with 8bit texture on/off. Native is around 640x480 for most game. It is very low even for 10 years old gpu.
(09-08-2015, 07:05 PM)gregory Wrote: I want to see some benchmark between 0.5x/native/2x with 8bit texture on/off. Native is around 640x480 for most game. It is very low even for 10 years old gpu.

I can't give you exact numbers, as my PC is MUCH stronger now (but not everyone's are) but at the time of working on the guides in 0.9.8 I had a good 20% increase with lower resolutions (granted this number probably decreased a little), with 8-bit on, or off, it didn't matter as much to most games. if you want to test a game tht has had major impacts with resolution, God of War was a killer on my old machine
(09-08-2015, 07:05 PM)gregory Wrote: I want to see some benchmark between 0.5x/native/2x with 8bit texture on/off. Native is around 640x480 for most game. It is very low even for 10 years old gpu.
Will gladly test when I get home. Saiki, if you want to talk about low end gpus, then you should realize I used to play pcsx2 at 200x200 at 13fps on an amd e-300. Anyways, I will test in a bit on my laptop, since I have most of my collection ripped to it.
Do you remember the CR? 0.5x is normaly 4x lighter on the GPU. 20% is rather low.
CR?

Well, exactly half resolution kills all games, since you can only set 256x256 as a minimum