Scarface:The World Is Yours
so change the multiplier in the bios right? i think i got a program lets me change it without going into bios

Sponsored links

You can change it in the BIOS or with a program, but doing it in the BIOS is more reliable.

And seriously don't skip the stress test part once you find what you think is ideal. Just because your PC will boot into windows and run a few programs doesn't mean the OC won't fail under heavy load. Here is a tutorial on that: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/100...ime95.html
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
i went into the BIOS and change the CPU Clock Multiplier to x20 and the pc turned off and wouldn't come back on i had to Clear CMOS Values and it booted right back up but its acting funny guess this mobo isn't good enough to overclock Sad
Well x20 is a big jump from x18. You are multiplying by 200.

x18 = 3600mhz
x20 = 4000mhz

You may not be able to hit 4.0Ghz without a volt bump. Depends on the chip. Different chips of the same make and model have different OC capabilities. It's called the "silicon lottery" and you say you "won the silicon lottery" if you get a chip that OCs very well.

Try just 18.5 and see what happens. Also, what is your mobo?
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
its not a very good mobo at all its a GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3 AMD 970/SB950 AM3+ the highest it would go was x20 4ghz
But like I said, did you try to increase the voltage? Don't be scared, it's completely safe as long as you don't go nuts. It's completely normal to hit a wall like that, then you bump the voltage a bit and go further.

Increasing the voltage technically shortens the processors life, but unless you go over 1.55 then it will still work for 5 years more at least I'd say (unless it fails for some unrelated reason) And if you don't go over 1.475 it won't even bother it at all.

Your board isn't THAT bad, although it has no heatsinks on the VRMs, which is another reason I wouldn't push the voltage past 1.475. Still, that should be a .125 boost over the base vcore, and should get you to 4.3 at least (x21.5)
the highest it shows that it can go in my BIOS is x20 and the current voltage is 1.410, ive had the cpu for about a year and if i can get another 6-months to a year out of it ill be more then happy cause im planning on building my dream machine hopefully before the end of the year,and ive had nothing but AMD pc's im finally gonna build an Intel and use Nivida instead of ATI
Well, if you have the money, Intel is faster than AMD for sure. However, my FX 6300 @ 4.4 runs everything you could ever want it to, and it cost me a lot less.

As for Nvidia Vs ATI(which is AMD now btw), both have their pros and cons and although Nvidia has the super expensive brute 780ti, other than that the performance levels are pretty equal.

That's weird that that is the highest your multi can go. Your base clock IS 200 right? Also, did you turn off turbo boost before you started OCing? I forgot to mention this, but if you didn't that is most likely your problem. And may be why the multiplier is locked to 20 max.
AHHHHHH that's probably it then i didn't turn off the boost i just changed it to x20 lol whoops! Wacko, Also i want to thank you for taking the time to help me and all the knowledge your sharing with me,ill try to OC again in the morning and let you know how it goes
Yeah that would do it. That would put your turbo clock at 4.3 which is asking a lot of 1.41 volts. If you can get to 4.2 stable without turbo you should do pretty well.