Shadow of the Colossus !!!
It's about fixing a bug in GSdx. Many games might benefit, not just this one.

Sponsored links

Oh, I see...
Anyway - thanks for your work !=)
Excl The man will die, but not his ideas Excl
Hey everyone, first off, thanks for the great emulator! I've been trying all day digging through this thread trying to find the best settings to run SotC. I'm using the most recent version of pcsx and I've tried many of the settings suggested in this thread, but can't seem to reach the "playable" state people speak of. It's odd because despite changing all of these settings my one issue remains. No matter what fps reading I'm getting the game seems to stutter and crawl when fast movement, rotating the camera with a vista in the background, fighting a colossus, etc. I see some people speaking of specific revisions and ini files, but those revisions and gsdx.ini are not present in my installation of the latest version of the emulator. Thanks in advance for any help!

My system specs are:

Intel i7 [email protected]
Radeon HD 5850
8GB ddr3 Ram
Windows 7 64bit
This game ranks 3 on IGN top 25 PS2 games of all time. I try it on my PS2 via USB after finishing downloading (there's no console game publisher in my country and only PS3 games are imported, the others are 100% pirate. The government does concern 'bout this). The game begins. Mount the hourse, running around, and... nothing to do. This game's map is the largest I've ever known. Surfing Wikipedia and I learn that there're only 16 colossi to be defeated. No side quest, no NPC, no monster, no interaction, conversation... This makes me feel boring, since I love RPGs because I can study English. I turn off the console after 15 mins trying. But hopefully, when I've walked through all of my favorite games and want to try something new, maybe I'll begin with this game.

FFX is still the best in my opinion. The story is great, and the cinematics are the best of PS2 too, although in-game graphics is never as "real" as God of War II. But I cannot say I like the turn-based battle of the game. For gameplay, God of War series is my most favorite ones.
@Livy the pixie:
SotC is not an RPG game even if it may look like one... It's "action puzzle" game... Every colossus in this game is a puzzle, you have to find colossus first and then try to realize how to reach his weak points and defeat him...

@nacire:
2.8GHz is "not fast enough" for PCSX2... It's better to have Dual core CPU at 3.8-4.2GHz than quad at 2.8...
One thing you can try is VU cycle stealing 3... You will have desync in dialogs (sic) but everything else will me smoother... Anyway, you will have stutter from time to time even if PCSX2 tells you 60fps - it's game's internal framelimiter...
To prevent overbrightening we all talking about, you may try to use GSDX software mode, Core i7 has SMT, so you can set 6 (8-2) rendering threads...
Almost forgot to tell - LATEST revision is r2832, not r1888 you may have... Get Visual Studio and you will be able to compile latest revisions from source by yourself...
well done linear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(04-12-2010, 04:09 AM)nacire Wrote: No matter what fps reading I'm getting the game seems to stutter and crawl

Actually it's because of the speedhacks. The more EE cycle rate and VU cycle rate hack you use, the lower your framerate will be. Naturally, more rendered frames need more power, So you would need to overclock to like 3.5 gHz to get full speed at smooth framerates. Try lowering te speedhacks, but 2.8 gHz will not give you full speed that way...
Small note for everyone:
In 16:9 mode scaler still gives some tiny offset errors, but is still playable =)
In 4:3 absolutely everything is OK =)
Excl The man will die, but not his ideas Excl
For everyone who loves this game...
If anyone is interested, I've made custom versions of GSDX plugin for Shadow of the Colossus with lowered (almost fixed) bloom effects... The game looks almost like in Software mode... Sky is visible now not only like continuous white background... I can send this version on request...
You can even ask me to send you special version with "bloom" completely disabled... It looks nice too, but a bit dark... All other effects work fine, shadows, DoF, blur, underwater and so on...
Based on GSDX r2897... Using these versions in other games may break graphics in very rare cases...

(04-12-2010, 04:09 AM)nacire Wrote: Hey everyone, first off, thanks for the great emulator! I've been trying all day digging through this thread trying to find the best settings to run SotC. I'm using the most recent version of pcsx and I've tried many of the settings suggested in this thread, but can't seem to reach the "playable" state people speak of. It's odd because despite changing all of these settings my one issue remains. No matter what fps reading I'm getting the game seems to stutter and crawl when fast movement, rotating the camera with a vista in the background, fighting a colossus, etc. I see some people speaking of specific revisions and ini files, but those revisions and gsdx.ini are not present in my installation of the latest version of the emulator. Thanks in advance for any help!

My system specs are:

Intel i7 [email protected]
Radeon HD 5850
8GB ddr3 Ram
Windows 7 64bit

Wow, I'm surprised your having trouble. Your GPU is great and your CPU should hit 3.33Ghz when running on 2 cores. You are using beta-1888 and March 2010 plugin pack? Have you tried without speedhacks or very few? On Native? It sounds like the game runs better for me, and that shouldn't be.