Should I bother upgrade to this CPU?
Don't get an LG Blu-ray burner, that brands sucks at making optical disk drives. Other than this, Arctic cooling makes really good aftermarket VGA coolers for the GTX series, should you think your graphics card's running too hot when you build this computer.

Just my €0.02.
Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.81GHz [Windsor] w/ Noctua NH-C12P
Asus Xonar D2 w/ Logitech Z-5500
e-VGA 8800GTS 640MB 513/792 stock ; 720/1080 o/c
Corsair XMS2 1GB DDR2 PC6400 x2
Western Digital 500GB 16MB cache x2
Thermaltake W0106RU 700W
---
XP Pro - SP2 - 32bit

Sponsored links

Like Waro says, LG is a bad brand for optical disc drives. And with the RAM, unless you intend to do anything that actually requires so much, you're better off downgrading to 6, or maybe 8GB.
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 680 2GB
(06-25-2009, 05:05 AM)Waro Wrote: Don't get an LG Blu-ray burner, that brands sucks at making optical disks. Other than this, Arctic cooling makes really good aftermarket VGA coolers for the GTX series, should you think your graphics card's running too hot when you build this computer.

Just my €0.02.

first, the optical ones are written discs, disks you'll find in magnetic storage devices. and in addition to that their ability to make discs is irrelevant as he wants to buy a drive not the media from lg Wink second, without any proof your statement is just "some say","sources report" or "wikipedia says it" evidence. i never had any problems with lg, nec, pioneer, toshiba or plextor drives and i have never heard of any viable reasons to avoid optical drives from lucky goldstar. i especially would like to hear your elaboration on why they even "suck at making optical disks" Laugh
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
(06-25-2009, 05:11 AM)Larfin_Man Wrote: Like Waro says, LG is a bad brand for optical disc drives. And with the RAM, unless you intend to do anything that actually requires so much, you're better off downgrading to 6, or maybe 8GB.

DDR3 is in increments of 3, btw! How expensive is 12 gigs vs 6 gigs of DDR3, anyway?
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
(06-25-2009, 05:57 AM)zero29 Wrote: without any proof your statement is just "some say","sources report" or "wikipedia says it" evidence. i never had any problems with lg, nec, pioneer, toshiba or plextor drives and i have never heard of any viable reasons to avoid optical drives from lucky goldstar. i especially would like to hear your elaboration on why they even "suck at making optical disks" Laugh

I don't think this is the place to get into it, but I've had trouble with LG drives and have heard a bunch of complaints about their disc drives, but it's pretty much a "some say" thing like you said. Based on my experiences, I won't be getting an LG brand drive in the future, but it's probably a preference rather than being based on proven facts.
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 680 2GB
(06-25-2009, 06:59 AM)Larfin_Man Wrote: I don't think this is the place to get into it, but I've had trouble with LG drives and have heard a bunch of complaints about their disc drives, but it's pretty much a "some say" thing like you said. Based on my experiences, I won't be getting an LG brand drive in the future, but it's probably a preference rather than being based on proven facts.

not that i think i would have to defend any manufacturer against anything, really. but inconstructive statements like "x sucks at y" is just anything but helpful for the purpose of this thread. cause to help with the decision which components to buy, one should try to make his decision easier and not more difficult by criticizing a particular choice without any hard facts. personal experiences with certain brands are ok to mention, but you have to label them as such. "x sucks at y" is an unnecessary generalization, nothing more. don't know why so many people take some simple hardware defects so seriously to declare personal vendettas against the involved manufacturer(s), as if certain companies would deliver defective hardware on purpose, just to annoy them -.-
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
LG make good drives?
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
(06-25-2009, 05:57 AM)zero29 Wrote:
(06-25-2009, 05:05 AM)Waro Wrote: Don't get an LG Blu-ray burner, that brands sucks at making optical disks. Other than this, Arctic cooling makes really good aftermarket VGA coolers for the GTX series, should you think your graphics card's running too hot when you build this computer.

Just my €0.02.

first, the optical ones are written discs, disks you'll find in magnetic storage devices. and in addition to that their ability to make discs is irrelevant as he wants to buy a drive not the media from lg Wink second, without any proof your statement is just "some say","sources report" or "wikipedia says it" evidence. i never had any problems with lg, nec, pioneer, toshiba or plextor drives and i have never heard of any viable reasons to avoid optical drives from lucky goldstar. i especially would like to hear your elaboration on why they even "suck at making optical disks" Laugh

Don't bother, dude. Laugh I stayed awake for hours after driving back from the club at five in the morning. I just skipped a word. Thanks anyway. Wink

Regarding LG's optical disk drives, I've had a CD-ROM drive, then a DVD-ROM drive. Both sucked — wouldn't read burnt disks, for instance. A couple of my buddies had LG DVD-readers/burners as well, and they sucked too. I have nothing against LG, but I have something against optical disk readers that don't work properly.
Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.81GHz [Windsor] w/ Noctua NH-C12P
Asus Xonar D2 w/ Logitech Z-5500
e-VGA 8800GTS 640MB 513/792 stock ; 720/1080 o/c
Corsair XMS2 1GB DDR2 PC6400 x2
Western Digital 500GB 16MB cache x2
Thermaltake W0106RU 700W
---
XP Pro - SP2 - 32bit
(06-25-2009, 05:05 AM)Waro Wrote: Don't get an LG Blu-ray burner, that brands sucks at making optical disk drives. Other than this, Arctic cooling makes really good aftermarket VGA coolers for the GTX series, should you think your graphics card's running too hot when you build this computer.

Just my €0.02.

Thanks for the heads up for LG. I read the reviews for this particular drive, and with 109 reviews it still is maintaining a 4 star rating. I'll let you guys know if it gives me trouble in the end.

(06-25-2009, 05:11 AM)Larfin_Man Wrote: Like Waro says, LG is a bad brand for optical disc drives. And with the RAM, unless you intend to do anything that actually requires so much, you're better off downgrading to 6, or maybe 8GB.

While I can't merit that I need 12GB, I do perform a lot of heavy work on my computer. The reason I'm not really budging on this memory issue is because even with the GTX 275 the computer falls at $1593...within my $1600 budget. Thanks for your input though!

One thing no one has really commented on yet, is the ability for this computer to emulate Playstation 2 games well. A reassurance on this before I order would be great!
It should run it very well (i have a similar system now) most games will run over or near full speed, depending if you overclock though, my i7 920 is running at 3.4Ghz. Make sure that chip is the D0 stepping version if you can, these are the best overclocker in that series.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]