Read first: Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?
Well, I guess it is one of the better mobile GMAs. And FFX and KH are two of the easier games to be handled. Maybe "decent" performance is possible with some games (at native) using a good IGP, but Intel's IGP are the worst. IMO, go Radeon if you must settling for integrated graphics.

Just know that an integrated GPU is generally a bad idea for gaming. I'm sure you would find those 2 games playable to some degree, but you will undoubtably be dealing with slowdowns, lag and low resolution. Other games may not be so easy on your GPU. A good example: Kingdom Hearts 2.

Sponsored links

Thanks for the info Rezard,

I have a pretty bad desktop, Intel Pentium E2200 dual-core at 2.2GHz, and another REALLY bad Intel graphics chip.

Do you think upgrading that processor to a cheap Core 2 Duo at 2.9GHz and maybe upgrading the graphics to a NVidia GeForce 9800 GT is a better choice in speed wise?
Most definitely. Especially if you have/get a good mobo with OCing options.

Don't feel an absolute need to get a Core 2 Duo. Some of the better Pentium Dual Core CPUs will be just about as good, and they're a nice chunk cheaper than a Core 2 Duo. Last I saw, a Core 2 Duo 2.93Ghz was $125, but a Pentium Dual 3.0Ghz was available for around $70-$80.

The 9800GT is a very suitable choice. Any modern GPU with a 256-bit memory bus is gonna do great.
Thanks for the advice. Do you think the Pentium or Core 2 Duo could run KH1 or KH2, FFX or X-2 at full speed? Sorry for all the questions.
Either type of CPU clocked around 3.0Ghz can give very good speed. Assuming you'll apply Speedhacks (etc), all of those games will be very playable and see full speed a lot of the time. If you do choose to OC, you will achieve full speed in nearly every instance possible. Depending largely on how high you get your clockrate, you may not even need Speedhacks.
Thanks Rezard for all the info. You really changed my mind on the best decision.
If your pc wasn't custom built, then the chances of overclocking are very slim to none. So, to avoid the overclocking with your current motherboard, it's best to buy a cpu with a high clock speed. 3GHz is a good starting speed/point, but more clock speeds you have the better and faster pcsx2 would run the games. If you only upgrade the CPU, then expect minimal gains because you're still being bottlenecked by your graphics card... So, if you don't upgrade both components, then don't even bother.
(04-07-2011, 12:15 PM)tuanming Wrote: If your pc wasn't custom built, then the chances of overclocking are very slim to none. So, to avoid the overclocking with your current motherboard, it's best to buy a cpu with a high clock speed. 3GHz is a good starting speed/point, but more clock speeds you have the better and faster pcsx2 would run the games. If you only upgrade the CPU, then expect minimal gains because you're still being bottlenecked by your graphics card... So, if you don't upgrade both components, then don't even bother.

I was thinking about buying both the 9800 GT and a Core 2 Duo E7500 at 2.9GHz. Will that increase my speed?
The 9800 GT is a bit old since it's only DX10. If you're also into pc gaming you should consider getting a DX11 capable card. Do you have a budget range or spending range? The CPU is okay, but don't expect it to perform well with more demanding games.
I know the graphics card is pretty old. Do you think getting a GTX 460 is a better choice? It is still cheap and it features DX11. If I got that, I probably would play some up-to-date PC games. With the 9800 GT, I can't put the setting very high without a good framerate, right? Anyway, I probably won't be playing any MGS3 with the Core 2 Duo, or any other high end games like that.