Read first: Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?
(08-28-2013, 09:38 PM)Koji Wrote: PCSX2 is very CPU dependent, and the difference between speeds on the same architecture scale almost perfectly.

That is, 100mhz difference between the two is a little less than 4%. The 3340M can pretty safely be said to be about 4% faster than the 3230M.

That said, the maximum boost mode is 3.2 versus 3.4ghz, which brings the maximum total different to a little over 6%. So between 4-6% would be the average gain on the faster processor.

In real world scenarios, that means if you're averaging 40fps in a game, you'd gain about 2fps. But if you're averaging 55fps (just below full speed) you'd net about 3fps pushing you almost to full speed at 58fps.

So yeah, not a huge difference Wink

Haha thanks, I'll go for the 3230M Smile

Sponsored links

Well I hope I'm posting this in the right spot if not let me know but I recently downloaded Pcsx2 and am having serious issues with it. It runs on my system but runs anywhere from 12 fps and peaks at 35 fps when I turn the speed boosters on it hangs in the high 40's. I know it should be running at around 55-60 so I would like to know if my laptop is not incompatible or if I just configured it wrong. I'll post my stats below.

Processor: AMD A6-4400M APU With Raedon™ HD Graphics.
2.7GHz but can do 3.2 with boosters.

RAM: 6GB

Windows 8 64-Bit

I ran the Windows experience Index and got a 5.6 based on the processor but a 7.2 on the RAM and 6.5 on both Graphics and Gaming Graphics.

Any help is greatly appreciated because I miss and love the old ps2 Classics!
Dual core APU in a laptop, not exactly a great setup for multiple reasons (heat being a huge reason as PCSX2 runs the CPU a lot harder than most games/apps)

That said, it'll heavily depend on what game you're trying to play. Simpler 2D and 3D titles should get playable framerates. That said, the average game will likely not reach or maintain "playable" frame rates.
(08-29-2013, 06:16 AM)Koji Wrote: Dual core APU in a laptop, not exactly a great setup for multiple reasons (heat being a huge reason as PCSX2 runs the CPU a lot harder than most games/apps)

That said, it'll heavily depend on what game you're trying to play. Simpler 2D and 3D titles should get playable framerates. That said, the average game will likely not reach or maintain "playable" frame rates.

aw man...
okay so I'm kinda confused,
I have:
Processor: AMD Athlon™ II X4 631 Quad-Core Processor 2.60 GHZ
RAM: 4GB
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT440
-Cuda Cores: 96
-Graphics Clock (MHz): 810MHz
-Processor Clock (MHz): 1620MHz
-2048MB DDR3
if you need more info go ahead ask and I'll add them.

my question now is: will I be able to smoothly run PCSX2?
Yes: well that's great
No: is there any way I can change the settings to be able to run it smoothly?
if so^ please tell me everything about the settings, screenshots or something, I'd appreciate it.
(09-03-2013, 05:19 PM)xrainbowrage Wrote: okay so I'm kinda confused,
I have:
Processor: AMD Athlon™ II X4 631 Quad-Core Processor 2.60 GHZ
RAM: 4GB
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT440
-Cuda Cores: 96
-Graphics Clock (MHz): 810MHz
-Processor Clock (MHz): 1620MHz
-2048MB DDR3
if you need more info go ahead ask and I'll add them.

my question now is: will I be able to smoothly run PCSX2?
Yes: well that's great
No: is there any way I can change the settings to be able to run it smoothly?
if so^ please tell me everything about the settings, screenshots or something, I'd appreciate it.
your CPU is a bit weak, but it should be ok for some non-demanding games.
Your GPU is quite weak and you'll have to stick with native res to avoid slowdowns in most games.

If you want specific help/settings on some games, open your own thread.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(09-03-2013, 05:26 PM)jesalvein Wrote: your CPU is a bit weak, but it should be ok for some non-demanding games.
Your GPU is quite weak and you'll have to stick with native res to avoid slowdowns in most games.

If you want specific help/settings on some games, open your own thread.
thanks for the help Smile any recommendations about a GPU? planning to buy a new one anyway, what would you recommend?(it has to be Nvidia, sorry Blush)
(09-03-2013, 05:32 PM)xrainbowrage Wrote: thanks for the help Smile any recommendations about a GPU? planning to buy a new one anyway, what would you recommend?(it has to be Nvidia, sorry Blush)

Anything with GDDR5 is a must and preferrably with a 192 bit bus or higher (I think that falls into the X50 range on nvidias... 550, 650, etc). Of course, faster is always better since you can push higher resolutions, but in general, a GDDR5 card will push at least 2-3 on almost every game.
I've tried a couple of games with no luck, I'm wondering if you guys think I'll have more luck with other games or if my computer just isn't good enough.

Here's my log:

PCSX2 1.0.0.r5350 - compiled on Aug 1 2012
Savestate version: 0x9a080000

Host Machine Init:
Operating System = Microsoft (build 9200), 64-bit
Physical RAM = 8076 MB
CPU name = Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
Vendor/Model = GenuineIntel (stepping 09)
CPU speed = 2.393 ghz (8 logical threads)
x86PType = Standard OEM
x86Flags = bfebfbff 7fbae3bf
x86EFlags = 28100000

x86 Features Detected:
MMX.. SSE.. SSE2.. SSE3.. SSSE3.. SSE4.1.. SSE4.2.. AVX

Reserving memory for recompilers...

Loading plugins...
Binding GS: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.0.0\Plugins\gsdx32-avx-r5350.dll
Windows 6.2.9200
Intel® HD Graphics 4000 (9.17.10.3040)
Binding PAD: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.0.0\Plugins\lilypad-r5350.dll
Binding SPU2: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.0.0\Plugins\spu2-x-r5350.dll
Binding CDVD: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.0.0\Plugins\cdvdGigaherz.dll
Binding USB: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.0.0\Plugins\USBnull.dll
Binding FW: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.0.0\Plugins\FWnull.dll
Binding DEV9: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.0.0\Plugins\DEV9null.dll
Plugins loaded successfully.

(GameDB) 9640 games on record (loaded in 391ms)

I just tried the disc version of The Simpsons Hit and Run, and it was running at about a third of the speed it should be. Is my computer good enough? If it is, any tip to make things run faster (I do have the recommended speedhacks on)?
First things first, dump the disc to ISO format. Running straight from ©DVD is going to cause all manner of slow downs.

There is nothing inherently terrible about your system. The CPU is a little on the slow side, but then again most mobiles are. Make sure your system is also set to high performance instead of middle or energy saver (type "power" in the search bar to pull up power management options). After you do all of that, try a few games. If you're still getting slow downs, go into speed hacks and enable all of the recommended ones and MTVU (multi-threaded VU).

If you're STILL getting slowdowns, you can try gently tweaking the EE and VU sliders. Abuse those too much and you're going to break some games though.

If you're still getting slowdowns at that point, then those games you're running are likely too much for your system. There should, however, be a few games out there that will run full speed.

(fake edit) also try setting your graphics to "native" in the GSDX settings.