Why Dolphin progresses much faster than PCSX2 ?
(09-16-2011, 08:58 PM)Dusk Wrote: I don't see dolphin's large team as being a negative. Yeah, they have disagreements, sometimes commits are reverted, but on the whole, development moves along pretty damn fast. Compared with PCSX2, where substantial changes are few and far between. Maybe the complexity of the emulator makes a big team more difficult to manage, but I still think it could benefit from at least a couple more solid coders.

pcsx2 lost Jake as a coder, which slowed down our progress. Quality coders that are willing to help with the project are hard to come by; especially those that are capable of doing big emulation rewrites that the emulator needs.

Dolphin kind-of just adds anybody to their project that's willing to help. It keeps the project active, but it doesn't really help the real emulation side.

I don't really keep up with dolphin's updates, but it seems like over 90% of their commits are code refactoring/build-fixes/gui work, with little real emulation progress. I think although pcsx2 commits are less frequent, they have a higher chance to effect emulation behavior.

(09-16-2011, 08:58 PM)Dusk Wrote: I also prefer Dolphin's GUI. It's much simpler and cleaner, though I think that's mostly due to the fact that they eliminated the plugin system (which pcsx2 should work towards long term imo).

Well I would like to remove the plugin system from pcsx2 as well; but I don't think the rest of the team likes that idea.
Also its not as easy with pcsx2 since Windows users use a different graphics and pad plugin than linux users. With Dolphin everyone was just using the same plugins, so it made perfect sense to remove plugins and just have it statically linked instead.
Check out my blog: Trashcan of Code

Sponsored links

(09-17-2011, 04:56 AM)ecchiless Wrote: My man, this is a open forum, we can say what we think(ofc always follwing the rules) so yea, ppl is gonna be "rude" some times, like whats is better intel or amd, nvidia-ati/amd, windows-mac os, so why should we stop the disscusion?? btw why would be ashamed for say something??

ps dont be mad, only cause some ppl dont love dolphin.

Listen Harakiri is talking sense.You don't just go to a person and say I hate you Tongue

Anyways, the GUI of both is magnificent and well Dolphin has it's uniqueness in it's GUI while PCSX2 has it's.
For example:
* PCSX2's GUI is a bit complex but VERY easy to access once you understand it.
*Dolphin's GUI is much easier to access but even this can sometimes cause problems.
My POV is both are good in their own place and both should be credited for the vigorous work . Smile
Intel E5700 @3.0Ghz,
Xfx Radeon 5670 1Gb,
4Gb DDR3 Ram,
Microsoft Windows7 Ultimate x86
(09-17-2011, 06:06 AM)cottonvibes Wrote: pcsx2 lost Jake as a coder, which slowed down our progress. Quality coders that are willing to help with the project are hard to come by; especially those that are capable of doing big emulation rewrites that the emulator needs.

Dolphin kind-of just adds anybody to their project that's willing to help. It keeps the project active, but it doesn't really help the real emulation side.

I don't really keep up with dolphin's updates, but it seems like over 90% of their commits are code refactoring/build-fixes/gui work, with little real emulation progress. I think although pcsx2 commits are less frequent, they have a higher chance to effect emulation behavior.

Yeah, Jake was a huge loss -- you guys need to find another one of him because he had an insane amount of energy/dedication Tongue

Most of PCSX2’s commits fall into the non-emulation refactoring/build-fixes/gui work also (well, just replace refactoring with hack fixes Tongue). Though you’re right that Dolphin’s rate of these is definitely higher.

(09-17-2011, 06:06 AM)cottonvibes Wrote: Well I would like to remove the plugin system from pcsx2 as well; but I don't think the rest of the team likes that idea.
Also its not as easy with pcsx2 since Windows users use a different graphics and pad plugin than linux users. With Dolphin everyone was just using the same plugins, so it made perfect sense to remove plugins and just have it statically linked instead.

As I see it, the plugin system causes needless complexity. It makes sense in a closed-source emulator, where you'd benefit from opening up core parts of the emu to outside devs while still remaining closed-source, but not here.

Dolphin solved the multiplatform issue pretty elegantly by integrating both an OpenGL and Direct3D core, plus their pad plugin supported SDL input. Nothing PCSX2 couldn't accomplish in the long term, though if the team isn't into it, not such a big deal either. There are much bigger fish to fry.
(09-17-2011, 08:49 AM)Dusk Wrote: As I see it, the plugin system causes needless complexity.

It allows users to be able to use different plugins as well as older versions of the same without needing to use an older version of the emulator as well.

In the case of dolphin, I don't think there were other plugins outside of the main project so in that case was probably justified while being unable to use older versions of the plugins I guess. Still don't like it, the plugin system works Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(09-18-2011, 03:58 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: It allows users to be able to use different plugins as well as older versions of the same without needing to use an older version of the emulator as well.

In the case of dolphin, I don't think there were other plugins outside of the main project so in that case was probably justified while being unable to use older versions of the plugins I guess. Still don't like it, the plugin system works Tongue2

The thing is, plugins in emulators aren't subjective in nature like plugins in other applications -- they only exist to implement core functionality that either works or it doesn't. The fact that users need to mix/match plugin versions with emulator versions points to deficiencies that should be addressed rather than worked around with a plugin system.

So yeah, it works, but it's a cludge and a hack that's becoming increasingly irrelevant since I'd guess 95% of people use the same plugins anyway Tongue

(09-18-2011, 08:17 AM)Dusk Wrote: The thing is, plugins in emulators aren't subjective in nature like plugins in other applications -- they only exist to implement core functionality that either works or it doesn't. The fact that users need to mix/match plugin versions with emulator versions points to deficiencies that should be addressed rather than worked around with a plugin system.

So yeah, it works, but it's a cludge and a hack that's becoming increasingly irrelevant since I'd guess 95% of people use the same plugins anyway Tongue

yeh i agree with you for the most part.
the thing is though, aside from the emulation part there's also the api's that the plugins use, which may not be portable to other OSes (which is the case with gsdx and lilypad with linux).

something we've talked about is the idea for 'dumb plugins' which have the emulation part being done by pcsx2, but only call the graphic/sound/pad plugins for OS/api specific functionality.
this would be less hackier than what we have now. although I think i'd rather just statically link everything instead like dolphin is doing. i hate having to locate my plugins folder, and make sure pcsx2 is pointing to the correct plugins and stuff.
pcsx2 should just be one self-contained executable that just 'works' imo... well aside from the bios file which we can't legally distribute.
Check out my blog: Trashcan of Code
* Squall Leonhart slaps cotton for exercising the thought.
(09-18-2011, 08:53 AM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: * Squall Leonhart slaps cotton for exercising the thought.

* Fezzer arrests Squall Leonhart for minor assault Ohmy
<REDACTED>
i think Dolphin's revisions are like takeing 1 step foward and 2 steps back. i currently have Revision 7465 for Dolphin. Which came before their Prime release of Dolphin 3.0 but slightly after 2.0.

This revision Trumps 3.0 in its face. like i have only had 1 game that doesnt work with this revision at all. and Dolphin 3.0 (their offical released version) breaks half my gamecube and Wii games and either doesnt work or has slowdowns.

Dont even get me on with their latest Revisions...

at least with PCSX2. every Offical release has been a GOOD improvement over the last. where Dolphin it was like a hit and miss.

ive tried some revisions of pcsx2 though for 0.9.9 and i seem to have worst performance though. maybe because they arnt stable yet but yeah Tongue2.

i perfer pcsx2 releases over Dolphins.

1 Question thats been puzzling me.

Why does dolphin require no Gamecube bio files. Did it not have them or did they manage to emulate them ? lol.
CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.5ghz http://valid.canardpc.com/2607863
MOBO: Asrock Z75 Pro 3
RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaw X 1333mhz DDR3 ram.
GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 @ 1200/1450 clocks http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/kasmr/

[Image: 57b2818f7d1b5841.png]
(09-18-2011, 09:45 PM)Teufel9000 Wrote: 1 Question thats been puzzling me.

Why does dolphin require no Gamecube bio files. Did it not have them or did they manage to emulate them ? lol.

I was wondering the exact same thing when I got it. Since I don't have a gamecube I wasn't sure if my sister's Wii would do the trick but it didn't need a BIOS at all...
<REDACTED>