Why Dolphin progresses much faster than PCSX2 ?
(09-15-2011, 12:58 PM)naughtydog2k3 Wrote: And this is why someone needs to make a new GC/Wii emulator since those guys like someone said in this topic just don't give a f*** about people problems running certain games, I wish I could play Skies of Arcadia Legends without any sound issues or some graphic problems but I know this will never happen because like someone said, those guys don't care to fix it or gives a f*** so someone needs to start a new emulator for it and put the Dolphin emulator to shame. This is why I love PCSX2 since those guys actually listen and tries to help and listen the best they can.

Agreed. Every game i've played on Pcsx2 has no problems WHATSOEVER. Just perfect in every way tbh.

Sponsored links

(09-15-2011, 09:00 AM)Livy Wrote: But why too many coders is not a good thing? You can share your work, and everything is done faster.

there's an old saying: "too many cooks spoil the broth" which i believe applies to coding as well.

having a lot of coders isn't what makes a good emulator, the best emulators are done by small teams of very knowledgeable and skilled developers.
look at pSX emu which many say is the best psx emulator, that's done by just 1 coder.
look at nullDC which is mostly coded by drk||raziel and a small team.

small teams allow for better communication, and they allow for people to focus on major parts of the code base. code also looks better when its all done in 1 style instead of being modified by a bunch of different people with different coding styles.

when you have a lot of developers, the communication between everyone isn't as good since there's too much people. there's also not enough tasks for everyone to do, so devs end up just doing minor changes here and there, which only annoys other developers since its harder to do big code changes when the code base is being 'slightly' modified every 2 seconds.

also a larger team means its more likely that the members will fight against each other (which happens in dolphin), and its likely that unqualified developers are added to the project (which also happens in dolphin).

for an emulator like pcsx2 or dolphin, a small team of skilled developers is what works best. and for smaller emulation projects, having 1 or 2 people solely working on the project is what works best imo.
Check out my blog: Trashcan of Code
The Mythical Man Month said it best.
Quote:adding manpower to a late software project makes it later
(09-16-2011, 08:48 AM)cottonvibes Wrote: look at pSX emu which many say is the best psx emulator

It is an impressive and clean emu (much like xebra) but the best? How so?
I only have Dolphin for the one and only GC game I ever got(Resident Evil: Remake) and I find it to be more buggy and the GUI just isn't as good as Pcsx2's imo, even though its on revision bizillion(well 8000 and something I think)
<REDACTED>
^ That may have invalidated your opinion as there are already a lots of game (including new title like Xenoblade Chronicles, amazing game btw) working thru the end with little to no problem, adding that it looks way way better than wii itself as a bonus.

Personally I like dolphin gui a bit better but that's not to say I dislike pcsx2, both have their own purpose and challenge to overcome, so really no reason to compare at all. In fact, I found this thread silly though it's interesting to see pcsx2 devs have to say about dolphin project. Tongue
I don't see dolphin's large team as being a negative. Yeah, they have disagreements, sometimes commits are reverted, but on the whole, development moves along pretty damn fast. Compared with PCSX2, where substantial changes are few and far between. Maybe the complexity of the emulator makes a big team more difficult to manage, but I still think it could benefit from at least a couple more solid coders.

(09-16-2011, 07:57 PM)naoan Wrote: Personally I like dolphin gui a bit better but that's not to say I dislike pcsx2, both have their own purpose and challenge to overcome, so really no reason to compare at all. In fact, I found this thread silly though it's interesting to see pcsx2 devs have to say about dolphin project. Tongue

I also prefer Dolphin's GUI. It's much simpler and cleaner, though I think that's mostly due to the fact that they eliminated the plugin system (which pcsx2 should work towards long term imo).
It's not even necessarily the amount of coders that makes Dolphin so out of whack as it is the 10,001 different builds people have... Many of the developers besides adding their own code also release their own custom builds, and even more pseudo-coders on the forum release their own builds with hundreds if not thousands of different patches all promising speedups or greater compatibility.

Even the official builds are filled with regressions with many games requiring very specific builds to either work or work at their best... In general their whole process is a mess.

Not knocking what they've accomplished, I've always been a fan of ector's work (though I don't think he does much with dolphin anymore, though I could be mistaken) but the project's kind of evolved into a clusterf**k... It might feel good, but it can also feel very awkward and you're never quite sure exactly what's going on.
why is there so much dolphin bashing here?

really, there is no need for that

both projects are awesome - they are done by dedicated people, it allows you to play your old console games in HD resolution - and there is NO alternative to either project

be thankful - everyone of you who badmouths any project should just be ashamed - what did you ever do in your life that benefit alot of people? yeah thought so... when you invested 1000+ hours in such a project you might have a point to talk about it
(09-17-2011, 04:14 AM)Harakiri Wrote: why is there so much dolphin bashing here?

really, there is no need for that

both projects are awesome - they are done by dedicated people, it allows you to play your old console games in HD resolution - and there is NO alternative to either project

be thankful - everyone of you who badmouths any project should just be ashamed - what did you ever do in your life that benefit alot of people? yeah thought so... when you invested 1000+ hours in such a project you might have a point to talk about it

My man, this is a open forum, we can say what we think(ofc always follwing the rules) so yea, ppl is gonna be "rude" some times, like whats is better intel or amd, nvidia-ati/amd, windows-mac os, so why should we stop the disscusion?? btw why would be ashamed for say something??

ps dont be mad, only cause some ppl dont love dolphin.